Winter Riding 2017

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
GreenAlias

Winter Riding 2017

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 7:43 am

We now have a few weeks of nice autumn weather before winter arrives. What is your strategy for getting through the winter? What sorts of rides do you do in winter? What adjustments to equipment & clothing do you do? Do you have a favourite winter destination?

victor

Re: Winter Riding 2017

Postby victor » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 8:39 am

GreenAlias wrote:We now have a few weeks of nice autumn weather before winter arrives. What is your strategy for getting through the winter? What sorts of rides do you do in winter? What adjustments to equipment & clothing do you do? Do you have a favourite winter destination?

My favourite winter destination is the one I visited last winter: Western Europe. The motorists are nicer to cyclists there, too. I wish I was there now: the motorists this morning were driving like complete idiots, behaving aggressively towards me, and clearly don't grasp the concept of "driving to suit the conditions".

Marx

Postby Marx » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 1:20 pm

My regular bike hasn't grown it's winter coat yet, but today's reminder (aka rain) has pushed the fitting of the guards & the lights ('see where to go' front & 2nd rear flashie) up the list for this weekend.
Problem is I really should replace the rear disk brake pads as well, but I haven't mastered the pushing of the caliper pistons back in to allow for fat new pads very well yet, so that job will be full of ranting & stuffing things up.
My tyres are kind worn too, currently got the standard hoops that my Specialized Diverge originally came with - Specialized Roubaix Pro 700x25/28 - a great tyre IMO. Thing is, to replace them, am I looking for 28mm tyres or 25mm tyres? I was looking at (what everyone seems to be running lately) Continental Grand Prix 4 Seasons, preferably a little on the fat side (28mm?) as I like the lower pressures when taking the B routes.

When it comes to winter riding, it's all about MTBing for me. The heat is gone, the snakes are gone & my bike is starting to look really cool after a good ride (lots of mud splatter). Less time out on the roads as the cold, wet & low light (late sunrise & early sunsets) makes long road rides really miserable.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:19 pm

What is your strategy for getting through the winter? What sorts of rides do you do in winter? What adjustments to equipment & clothing do you do? Do you have a favourite winter destination?

Head north to somewhere warmer but due to certain responsibilities that is impossible for us to do for more than 2/3 weeks. I envy those who can depart Melbourne from May to early Sept. Ideally I'd go north to either Northern NSW or SE Qld for those months as the warmer, drier conditions are great for old bones. ;) That said we have travelled to the Northern hemisphere in September if circumstances allow it. The Greek islands are fantastic for riding either road or mtb and the heat has dissipated somewhat by then. The northern summer June to August is too crowded and hot otherwise. I have also taken my bike with me in past years to SE Qld which offers fantastic riding in the nearby hinterland. We have stopped at Moree to "take the waters" several times en route but for a town that produced some world class riders it is darn flat and uninteresting on a bike!

When in Melbourne through winter it's just a matter of dressing right and picking rides that entail a mix of off road and on to keep it interesting. But generally my mileage drops off a bit and I use it as time of recuperation. Some gravel roads are better than others in not being muddy and you keep a weather eye on them eg BOR. I don't mind riding in the rain and cold if you are prepared for it so I may fit mudguards to my CX which help keep you clean at least. Like Marx I also prefer mtbing in winter as there are a plethora of trails to ride. Castlemaine and Beechworth are great for this. Once over the divide, the weather in winter while very cold in the early morning can reveal lovely still warmish days.
Last edited by UJ1 on Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:21 pm

Marx wrote:Problem is I really should replace the rear disk brake pads as well, but I haven't mastered the pushing of the caliper pistons back in to allow for fat new pads very well yet, so that job will be full of ranting & stuffing things up.

https://www.pushys.com.au/park-tool-pp- ... vQodYUYLyw
(You can get by with a large flat-head screwdriver, but this is more betterer.

My favourite destination is anywhere which is out of the cold/rain and has beer. (Sometimes, that's home. Sometimes not).

fixie

Postby fixie » Fri 21 Apr 2017, 5:27 pm

My winter strategy is directed towards comfort so that I can enjoy the ride which is why I am riding. Warm in the cold. Dry in the wet. I aim to keep my head warm with a buff or in the really cold weather a light hat which covers my ears.

Keep off busy roads in the wet. Generally shorter rides. Normally I would have mudguards on, but the bike with the Cruds was stolen, and the current bike does not have the clearance needed with the fatter tyres. (Currently 25 mm GP4000s which measure 27mm when inflated on 25mm rims) Trade off between comfort on the saddle and dryness in the wet. I coped very well today. Though my seat was wet when I got home. ;) And I will have to wash my rain jacket it is so dirty.

I try and avoid being in the wet and the dark at the same time. I put winter brakes on.

I have underestimated in the past how long it takes to get warm and how much effort it takes, so now if in doubt I go out overdressed and remove a layer or two.

I have taken to having running lights at all times, even when on the bike :evil: paths. Pedestrians cannot hear bells or see lights, but having a good bell and lights can give you a warm feeling. ;)

In the winter, I generally look at wind directions more carefully and try for the tactic of coming home with the wind at my back. Nothing more exhausting than struggling into driving rain with the wind against you if you are already tired from the ride.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon 01 May 2017, 9:56 pm

Shoulder season - like, right now - is the best and worst riding in Ballarat.

When it's nice, it's glorious. When it's not, it's wet, windy and unseasonably cold.

Once it gets properly cold, it's not as... you know... cold. I'm a big fan of sub-zero weather in Ballarat, because it only gets properly cold when it's clear and calm. Dress for it, and -2dgC makes for a truly lovely early morning out on the bike.

I hope to ride through the winter as I have for the last 4 winters. Pre-dawn bunch rides a couple of mornings each week. This year I've been riding a bit less than previous years, because I'm trying to fit it in around starting a new career and I'm finding it draining enough even without the 5:15am starts. It's getting better as the weeks roll on, so I'll see how I go as the year progresses. My plan it to pick the best days to ride (for weather and work schedule), and get out there.

And commute. Every day. Because I arrange my life such that NOT commuting by bike is more of a hassle.

tim

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sun 07 May 2017, 9:15 am

Thanks everyone for all the thoughtful responses. :)

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 07 May 2017, 12:06 pm

Yeh, stay in the habit over winter. You miss a couple of days and the inertia to start riding in the winter gets all that much harder!
Apart from the commute, I still like riding out to the NE on the weekend. Kinglake, Yarra Glen, Strathewan and all points in between. It can be pretty bitter in the morning, so full longs, beanie, booties, neoprene gloves are needed, especially if it's damp. The one thing I find in winter is that you don't want to stop. That's when you really get cold.
Other things I do, include running slightly lower pressure in the tyres (for wet conditions) & clean and lube chain every two weeks.

Return to “Plan a ride”