Summer of 2016/17

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
Claude Cat

Re: Summer of 2016/17

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 21 Oct 2016, 1:01 pm

hamishm wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:Yep. I love riding the NE, but generally don't venture there September & October due to the feral magpies
Things improve next month, so back to it then.

I've been going out that way lots more since moving to Kew last year. I've been out around Hurstbridge, St Andrews, Kinglake lots in the last couple of months. There's been on feral magpie on the road from Kangaroo Ground to St Andrews (closer to KG), but as of yesterday it seems to be better behaved now. Otherwise I haven't found them too bad at all. It's a beautiful area and I'm discovering new roads all the time.

There's so much good ground to ride, it's not funny. Very easy to have a 100-120 km round trip from Canterbury and cover something new or interesting everytime,

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sat 22 Oct 2016, 6:05 pm

Claude Cat wrote:There's so much good ground to ride, it's not funny. Very easy to have a 100-120 km round trip from Canterbury and cover something new or interesting everytime,

+1 to that. For an unexpected surprise, check out Buttermans Trak which runs from St Andrews to Yarra Glen. Only paved in the last couple of years apparently. I saw about one car the whole time I was on it. Just be ready for the 18% pinch near the end :-)

ludlow

Postby ludlow » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 4:48 pm

Hi Hamish, is the 18% pinch St. Andrews end or Yarra Glen end.

Thanks George.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 23 Oct 2016, 9:51 pm

hamishm wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:There's so much good ground to ride, it's not funny. Very easy to have a 100-120 km round trip from Canterbury and cover something new or interesting everytime,

+1 to that. For an unexpected surprise, check out Buttermans Trak which runs from St Andrews to Yarra Glen. Only paved in the last couple of years apparently. I saw about one car the whole time I was on it. Just be ready for the 18% pinch near the end :-)

Oh yes, I've ridden Buttermans several times over winter this year, I love it.
Actually, it's a nice way to get to Kinglake around the back-way (through Steel Creek rd).

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon 24 Oct 2016, 9:38 am

ludlow wrote:Hi Hamish, is the 18% pinch St. Andrews end or Yarra Glen end.

Yarra Glen, just before it meets Skyline Rd.

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Mon 24 Oct 2016, 9:38 am

Claude Cat wrote:Oh yes, I've ridden Buttermans several times over winter this year, I love it.
Actually, it's a nice way to get to Kinglake around the back-way (through Steel Creek rd).

Oh, cool idea. Buttermans + Steels Creek + Old Mt Slide Rd? All good.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 24 Oct 2016, 10:07 am

Yep.
Also have gone up the old kinglake rd off steel creek rd, a bit rougher, but doable on a road bike.

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Thu 27 Oct 2016, 9:05 am

Marx wrote:Might be a mad summer for snakes this year I fear, might have to stick to skinny tyred bike unless I'm out with like-minded.
Is that Cadel 'People's ride' in Jan worth doing? Or is it just like the old Amy ride re-booted?
Gravel rides are booming, might be some interesting remote backroads ride in the hills where you can suffer in solitude?

Marx, the Cadel ride is harder than Amy's, and is over a virtually different route.

I head to Adelaide for a week & a bit to prep for the Cadel ride.... :mrgreen:

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Mon 31 Oct 2016, 8:18 am

MattyP wrote:
Marx wrote:Might be a mad summer for snakes this year I fear, might have to stick to skinny tyred bike unless I'm out with like-minded.
Is that Cadel 'People's ride' in Jan worth doing? Or is it just like the old Amy ride re-booted?
Gravel rides are booming, might be some interesting remote backroads ride in the hills where you can suffer in solitude?

Marx, the Cadel ride is harder than Amy's, and is over a virtually different route.

I found the hardest part of the Cadel ride was the last climbs. "Oh, you've already done 100km? Well here's a nasty climb through some residential areas. Take the time to enjoy the view. Mwah-ha-ha!"

MattyP

Postby MattyP » Mon 31 Oct 2016, 3:50 pm

michael_w wrote:
MattyP wrote:

I found the hardest part of the Cadel ride was the last climbs. "Oh, you've already done 100km? Well here's a nasty climb through some residential areas. Take the time to enjoy the view. Mwah-ha-ha!"

Melville Ave has a large degree of unpleasantness about it. Fortunately it's quite a short climb.

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Thu 03 Nov 2016, 7:20 pm

Buxton 6-Hour this weekend. If I time it right & get through just before the course cut-off, I can get an extra lap in & push it close to my target of a 7-hour ride for this month. :-)
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

Return to “Plan a ride”