six hours in the saddle

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
faster

six hours in the saddle

Postby faster » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 8:27 am

Anyone done this?
I did the Giant Odyssey 100 on my old '90's full rigid mtb and I wouldn't do it again on the same bike.
I want to know how the Beechworth trails where this event is compare to the Forrest trails as I'd like to give the six hour event a go.
Thanks

mtb101

Re: six hours in the saddle

Postby mtb101 » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 11:41 am

is rockier than forrest. do it man.
__________flow................___________

faster

Postby faster » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 1:01 pm

Na. If it's rockier than Forrest I'll pass.
Thanks for the info

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 25 Jul 2016, 3:26 pm

If you want something that's more rigid friendly, check out

http://www.bighillevents.com.au/buxton_ ... _home.html
Reaching new levels of softness!

faster

Postby faster » Tue 26 Jul 2016, 8:29 am

Thanks snuffy this looks great

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 27 Jul 2016, 3:48 pm

This is still a thought bubble which may not materialise into anything...

I would like to do this event, but the fam can't come & need the car that weekend, so thinking of:

Train - Melbs to Wang (3hrs approx), then bike ride Murray to Mountains rail trail & Everton/Beechworth rail trail - Wangaratta to Beechworth (45ms, 3hrs approx), camp, ride SHITS, camp, then ride back to Wang to take train home.
I've got half the gear I need to camp, but most of the stuff I have is car friendly & wont fit on a bike or backpack, so there's that.

As for the race, well I'm not in my prime anymore, so combining a bike packing/MTB race weekend would add the extra dimension to the whole bike experience that a leisurely race pace wont be so much of a issue.

The other more daring option of actually riding Melb>Beechworth would take a massive toll on my tyres & body that it just can't be entertained.

...just thinking out loud.

http://www.sixhoursinthesaddle.com/
Just a bike & a place to ride.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Wed 27 Jul 2016, 6:14 pm

Pity you can't ride to Beechworth even part of way, say from Benalla, as there is some nice riding on quiet roads and interesting country off the main roads. Such as heading to Whitfield then taking the Lake Buffalo Whitfield road to Myrtleford. You'd do it in two days but certainly it's rough in parts with some steep climbs but made for mtbs. ;) https://goo.gl/maps/r1rAKVKkdLN2

On your return another option apart from the rail trail, is to take the Beechworth Chiltern road (C377) turning off on Woolshed road, mostly dirt to Eldorado then to Wang via either the trail or back roads. The reason is a nice bit of challenging downhill singletrack from the junction of C315 and the C377 roads to just before Mcfeeters road alongside the road built by locals. Eldorado is a quiet little hamlet but an interesting part of the NE with its gold mining history. If you do take the Beechworth rail trail to Wang there is also singletrack beside the trail for some kilometres after you leave Beechworth to make it more interesting.

Edit: Just checked the date of the race so the route described above is weather dependent from Whitfield through to Myrtleford. Can get very muddy in parts due to heavy rain in early spring.
Last edited by UJ1 on Thu 28 Jul 2016, 9:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 27 Jul 2016, 7:04 pm

That's the great thing about thinking out loud, other little ideas pop out of nowhere which you may have never considered.
;)

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Wed 27 Jul 2016, 10:19 pm

faster wrote:Anyone done this?
I did the Giant Odyssey 100 on my old '90's full rigid mtb and I wouldn't do it again on the same bike.
I want to know how the Beechworth trails where this event is compare to the Forrest trails as I'd like to give the six hour event a go.
Thanks

Forrest is smooth & groomed in comparison to Beechworth.
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

faster

Postby faster » Thu 28 Jul 2016, 12:24 pm

Duckmeister,
Thanks. Your comment gives me chills knowing how hard the Odyssey ride was on my old bike.
The Buxton bootcamp from the way Snuffy described is up my alley.

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Mon 01 Aug 2016, 10:02 pm

I think what you really want to do if you're sticking to rigid is the first two rounds of the Gazebo series run by Geelong MTB Club. They're only three hours but they're on the smoother, flatter side of the You Yangs trail network. Round 3 is on the lumpier side, but isn't tooooo bad. They're usually the first weekends of December, February and March; Rounds 1 & 3 are Saturday mornings, Round 2 is a Friday twilight race.

Beechworth has some really nice sections of trail, but there are outcroppings of rock that are relatively unworked to fit into the trail, and they will bite you when you're getting tired later in the race, when the skils go sloppy.

Buxton is rideable rigid, but I think you're nuts if you reckon you can do it for six hours; although comparitively lacking in technical lumpies compared to Beechworth & the top end of You Yangs, it's an unrelenting chattery surface that will wear you down over several hours.
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

faster

Postby faster » Tue 30 Aug 2016, 9:20 pm

thanks duckmeister

Marx

Postby Marx » Sat 17 Sep 2016, 11:53 am

I'm down for the 3hour at Beechworth.
Combining with a 'bike touring' ride catching a train Melbourne to Wangaratta & then from Wang using their rail/bike-trail to Beechworth, & shacking up at the local pub for the night prior.
Doing the 3hr instead of the 6hr so I can squeeze in a ride back to Wang to catch the 6:15pm train back to Melbourne after the event. I figured snoozing on the train is more fun than driving 3hrs after a race.

I was originally thinking about bike packing to Beechworth and camping, but the amount of bike-friendly light packing equipment I would've needed to buy would have made it a quite expensive weekend.

My MTB - Cell Awaba 2.0- has rack mounts, so my Tobus Logo rear rack & bags should bolt straight across. Although now that it's a credit card bike weekend for me I probably can get by with just my backpack.

Marx

Postby Marx » Sun 02 Oct 2016, 12:08 pm

It was wet.
I didn't ride it.
I stood there in front of the rego table 30mins before the the start of the 3hr, the 6 hr riders were already out on course by that stage, rain was falling everywhere like it had been constantly since 3am that morning. Everything was wet. I was wet, everyone around me was wet. I thought to myself, if it doesn't stop raining right now I'm going home, it didn't, so I went home.

I still managed about 80kms of bike riding to get to the event, mostly in the rain as well, so it's not like I totally whoosed out. On the way home I did ride the MTB trails 'Flame Trees' between Beechworth & Everton in driving rain which was like muddy water skiing. It lasted about 10mins before novelty turned to terror.

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon 03 Oct 2016, 12:17 pm

Some pix of my trip up to the event. Nothing on the event itself though.

Time to get on the train at Southern Cross for Wangaratta. The bike went into the luggage car at the rear of this train. Being a long weekend the train was fully booked!

Start of the Murray to Mountains rail trail in Wangaratta. There is "Rail trail" signage from the train station along the Ovens river trail to the start of the M2M trail.

The rail trail out of Wangaratta to Beechworth, 27kms, is sealed smooth with only a light dusting of gravel on top in places, very good for the skinniest of roadbike tyres. There are these toilet blocks with shelter & drinking water from rain tanks every 10kms or so.

The fork in the trail that takes you left to Beechworth 16kms or right to ultimately Bright 60kms approx.

6HITS pit/transition on race day. The rain doesn't look as bad as it felt at the time this pic was taken. I basically stood in the rain for 10mins until I realised it wasn't going to stop, so I left.

Just before returning to Wangaratta on the rail trail. What a difference a day makes, to the left was open grazing land the afternoon before.

Wangaratta at the end of the rail trail, near the map board where I took the pic the day before. I needed to get over to the pedestrian bridge over the Ovens river in the background somehow.

Hmm, need to get over to that bridge in the distance, to get back to the train station. Posts show depth.

I'll see how the planets align next year to do this sort of 'ride to the race, to race' thing again. It would have been a good pair of days without the rain. As cycling is such an outdooresy sort of activity weather can really make a huge difference on enjoyment of doing it.

If the likehood of this biketour/race was a great success, there was always an option to turn it all up to '11' and do the Bright 24hr the same way: 160kms round trip bike tour Wang>Bright, plus 24hr racing as well.

Return to “Plan a ride”