Melburn-Roobaix 2016

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
MattyP

Re: Melburn-Roobaix 2016

Postby MattyP » Mon 27 Jun 2016, 12:11 pm

baudman wrote: My proudest moment was riding up that steepest of steeps everyone else was walking up.

Just need ex-pat kiwis to clear a path to make that climb! That was what worked for me.... :mrgreen:

Muddiest/most-offroad roobaix I've done. Glad dousja convinced me to ride the mtb. Fun chasing a fat bike through singletrack around Ivanhoe. As was riding past the 'angry' lady.

Petite-roobaix is great idea. (mini) Spiderman did well with his Dad yesterday. May bring some of my brood next year. I noted they were selling kids fyxo packs at the end.

wagger

Postby wagger » Wed 19 Apr 2017, 11:48 am

2017 details:

SUNDAY 25 JUNE 2017

FAQ:

http://melburnroobaix.co/faq/

Purchase Tickets:
https://shop.fyxo.co/collections/events ... aix-ticket

Cost: $80-
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Wed 26 Apr 2017, 12:56 pm

wagger wrote:2017 details:

Consider me an old grouch if you will, but $80, non-refundable, non-transferable, no bringing your mates along to freeload or else, just seems like a big money grab to me.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Wed 26 Apr 2017, 1:47 pm

While it's not my bag either just as most mass participation events put me off, it's probably a one man band and far too much hassle for him to get into refunds, transfers and the like. I don't think this guy is getting rich from Fyxo but this event probably keeps him going through the year. Besides it's his idea which many buy into. So you either commit, pay and join the throng or you ride off somewhere by yourself. I also think freeloading at such things is infra dig.

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon 01 May 2017, 1:52 pm

UJ1 wrote:...... I also think freeloading at such things is infra dig.

What's that?
Sometimes I'm mindless reading stuff & stumble upon something that doesn't ring any bells, even after I've replaced the words I assumed were spelt wrong or just put in by mistake....

(NB: the word 'spelt' is coming up as spelt incorrectly on my word check thingy? Weird.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon 01 May 2017, 9:42 pm

hamishm wrote:Consider me an old grouch if you will, but $80, non-refundable, non-transferable, no bringing your mates along to freeload or else, just seems like a big money grab to me.

Andy has always been pretty much up-front that he doesn't (didn't?) care much whether anybody else wants to ride along the cobbled alleys of Melbourne on Melburn-Roobaix day without paying. A mobile cheer-squad for the official M-R riders. Whatever.

Maybe he's changed his tune. I don't know. After all these years, it's his prerogative to do so. He's created a phenomenon. It's probably less fun to put on than it use to be back in the day. It's certainly morphed from being an underground pre-hipster freakshow to being a rather mainstream establishment tradition of the Melbourne velocipede scene. He certainly did it for the LOLs in the early days... good for him if he's cashing in now.

I've done a few of them. They were bloody good fun. Every year I think "nah, been there done that, will give it a miss this year", but when I get my arm twisted I have a splendid day out. Once again, this year, I've been there and done that and don't really need to do it again. Good luck to those who stump up the money (or who ride along as a mobile cheer squad or whatever). Have fun.

tim

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Tue 02 May 2017, 9:51 am

barefoot wrote: Once again, this year, I've been there and done that and don't really need to do it again.

#bikeinaboxchallenge

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Tue 02 May 2017, 10:39 am

barefoot wrote:Andy has always been pretty much up-front that he doesn't (didn't?) care much whether anybody else wants to ride along the cobbled alleys of Melbourne on Melburn-Roobaix day without paying. A mobile cheer-squad for the official M-R riders. Whatever.

Not any more: http://melburnroobaix.co/faq/#tab-51741e5ccbf54aae207 . Bring your friends and you're out.

I can't blame him, I'm just disappointed to see another ride turn into just another cash grab sportive.

baudman

Postby baudman » Wed 03 May 2017, 9:42 am

hamishm wrote:
I can't blame him, I'm just disappointed to see another ride turn into just another cash grab sportive.

Perhaps.

Or perhaps it's the insurance providers who are turning the screws?

Atom Ant

Re: Melburn-Roobaix 2017

Postby Atom Ant » Tue 09 May 2017, 11:54 pm

One year I'd like to do the Melburn-Roobaix, but this year it clashes with the annual Rockdogs vs Megahertz match at the Reclink Community Cup.
Up and at 'em

baudman

Re: Melburn-Roobaix 2017

Postby baudman » Thu 11 May 2017, 8:47 am

Atom Ant wrote:One year I'd like to do the Melburn-Roobaix, almost every year it clashes with the annual Rockdogs vs Megahertz match at the Reclink Community Cup.

Fixed that for you.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Thu 11 May 2017, 8:52 am

Just finished working on my Roobaix special.

Test ride today... mmmm... comfy

(Although not as comfy as the fat bike I've been riding the last few years)
Reaching new levels of softness!

Madrider

Postby Madrider » Thu 11 May 2017, 9:44 pm

Snuffy wrote:Just finished working on my Roobaix special.

Plus size MTB ??
Keep Riding!

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 12 May 2017, 8:28 am

Madrider wrote:
Snuffy wrote:Just finished working on my Roobaix special.

Plus size MTB ??

Nope

Anyway, thought I was finished with it, but I wasn't entirely happy with how the tubeless tyres had seated a bit wonky. Sooooo I fettled with it last night.... and.... KAAABOOOOOOOOOOM!!! Tubeless explosion and sticky white goop everywhere.

*sigh*

(My own fault for pushing the rim's pressure limits while trying to get the tyre to seat straight).
Reaching new levels of softness!

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 06 Jun 2017, 2:17 pm

hamishm wrote:
barefoot wrote:Andy has always been pretty much up-front that he doesn't (didn't?) care much whether anybody else wants to ride along the cobbled alleys of Melbourne on Melburn-Roobaix day without paying. A mobile cheer-squad for the official M-R riders. Whatever.

Not any more: http://melburnroobaix.co/faq/#tab-51741e5ccbf54aae207 . Bring your friends and you're out.

isn't it amazing how arrogant organisers can become, admittedly they aren't marketing to the original hard core bunch of riders, yet they provide little to no support - first aid etc, crap maps and no refunds (which they can't do under consumer law), of course people can vote with their wheels, and here's the best part, let's pay to ride along our own cycling infrastructure and don't bring your friends ... farken hell are they for real? :lol:

anyway good luck to them.
__________flow................___________

Return to “Plan a ride”