Point Nepean?

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
Marx

Point Nepean?

Postby Marx » Tue 17 May 2016, 12:31 pm

What's the riding like beyond the Gunner's cottage?
....Can you ride beyond the Gunner's cottage, right to the actual end of the peninsula?

I just realized that the end of the peninsula (Mornington) is now open to the public, gives me another reason to truck out there on the bike apart from a vanilla slice at Sorrento.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

UJ1

Re: Point Nepean?

Postby UJ1 » Tue 17 May 2016, 1:46 pm

Bicycles are not permitted beyond Fort Pearce.

Link: http://parkweb.vic.gov.au/explore/parks ... do/walking

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 17 May 2016, 3:49 pm

Oh, I read that, but was hoping it was more about wobbly bikes getting in the way of the bus (??). I took it to mean that you could still push your bike the last 850mts (11mins approx).
Goggle satellite view does't show any major obstruction to force bikes to be left behind at Fort Pearse.

Hoping for feedback from someone else who's been there, instead of relying on my first hand experience after 110kms of riding there (without a bike lock).

ludlow

Postby ludlow » Tue 17 May 2016, 4:42 pm

I was there a few years ago, arrived early and then noticed you had to but a ticket, luckily we did as we were checked by ranger as we got to fort Pierce, very tempting to ride to the very end but we didn't, it's a reasonable road ok for road bikes but watch for sand. don't know if you can walk your bike but there is quite a bit to see there right at the end. Maybe a phone call to see.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Tue 17 May 2016, 8:04 pm

The sign says you can't take bikes any further.
It's not too far to walk down the hill to the very end.

https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=26545&p=#p641428

From memory, there are bike racks back up the hill a little, just to the right of the photo.

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 18 May 2016, 3:29 pm

oh OK, thanks.
I'm a bit grumpy about bikes not allowed where a bus can go. Must be a lycra thing.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Wed 18 May 2016, 9:31 pm

Marx wrote:oh OK, thanks.
I'm a bit grumpy about bikes not allowed where a bus can go. Must be a lycra thing.

Not so much a bus.
More like a theme park transporter.

The last section of road down to the point is quite steep and narrow.
I guess they don't want the transporter caught behind recreational cyclists walking or zig zagging their bikes back from the point.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Thu 19 May 2016, 7:41 am

Marx wrote: ....... ....Can you ride beyond the Gunner's cottage, right to the actual end of the peninsula?

During the last 5 years I have ridden to Pt Nepean approx 10-12 times. It's a very nice ride. Don't be put off by the fact that you can't ride the last 850 metres. It doesn't matter. The point where you have to stop riding is the best viewpoint because it is a high spot. If you go down to the tip you will be back to sea level with restricted views.

You don't need to carry a bike lock. It's not an inner city ghetto, there are no bike thieves there.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Thu 19 May 2016, 2:40 pm

Marx wrote:............ another reason to truck out there on the bike

This is the Strava plot from my last ride. There's a few photos embedded which will give you an idea of what to expect. You may need to be logged in to Strava for them to appear.

Marx

Postby Marx » Thu 19 May 2016, 10:03 pm

GreenAlias wrote:
This is the Strava plot from my last ride. There's a few photos embedded which will give you an idea of what to expect. You may need to be logged in to Strava for them to appear.

Thank GA.
How did you find that road out from Mornington along the coast to Dromana?
I've been down the peninsula a dozen times, but never rode into Mornington centre then along the coast there, always taking that inland route over the freeway & back out to Dromana again.
Is there any shoulder , and what is the traffic like? Can they pass OK or do they bunch up & fang past with only a bee's dingaling to spare?

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 20 May 2016, 9:46 am

Marx wrote: ...... How did you find that road out from Mornington along the coast to Dromana? .............. Is there any shoulder , and what is the traffic like? Can they pass OK or do they bunch up & fang past with only a bee's dingaling to spare?

My personal preference is to use the Esplanade along the coast. It's very scenic, not as hilly and there's always lots of other cyclists. I've never had any incidents with cars but I have heard of them happening. There is a bike lane in parts and there are some narrow parts with no shoulder. At first I was a bit nervous about having to ride through the tunnel at the Dromana end but now having done it several times it's not as scary as it looks. Just be sensible & careful and you'll be OK. A bright blinking tail light is a good idea.

When BN run the ATB they always direct the route along the Nepean Highway. I can understand that when you have many thousand cyclists the Highway is definitely the safest option. However, when you're on your own or in a small group the Esplanade is OK. Not perfect, but reasonable.

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Fri 20 May 2016, 10:01 am

GreenAlias wrote:My personal preference is to use the Esplanade along the coast. It's very scenic, not as hilly and there's always lots of other cyclists.

The rocky coast, low dry scrub and beautiful coloured water! If you squint your eyes a little it feels like you are riding along the Amalfi coast... :D

My favourite section of 'Beach road'. It is narrow in places with no shoulder, but never had any issues along there and I used to ride it frequently.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Fri 20 May 2016, 10:44 am

GA and Dalai are right. The coast is better than inland.

The Strava Heatmap shows that the coast is very popular.
(click on 'Toggle Labels' under Layers to see the locality names)

Ghislain

Postby Ghislain » Fri 20 May 2016, 11:15 am

(Off topic) Love that heatmap.

If you look closely, you can see minor points of heat in peoples yards/properties. A habit of not turning off strava when they get home?

Also, it's a giveaway for the popular starting points of bunch rides if you know where to look: Have a look at the BP of the corner of Nth Rd / Nepean...a lot of bikes cutting through there for the North Rd ride. Similar with the Caltex down in Sandringham. Avenue Athol also quite warm!

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Fri 20 May 2016, 11:22 am

(Continuing off topic)

Ha! AA being quite warm matches up with the north-east end of Maling Road being very warm ;)

I’ve often wondered if heat points at private properties are people on their trainers (?)

Return to “Plan a ride”