Lysterfield loops...

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
Ghislain

Lysterfield loops...

Postby Ghislain » Thu 07 Apr 2016, 1:56 pm

Have an RDO next Wednesday and will head over to explore. Anyone care to recommend some enjoyable loops that connect the best bits nicely? What are the best bits?

From the look of the map, most trails are two way, but I'm sure there's a well-established directional preference for most trails. What's it like north of Wellington? Worth poking around?

I'm new(ish) to MTB, although have spent several weeks on the single track at Bright and Falls Creek this summer honing my crashing technique. Happy to go up or down anything except the double diamonds.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Lysterfield loops...

Postby Snuffy » Fri 08 Apr 2016, 10:43 am

North of Wellington isn't worth it if you're after proper singletrack. I pretty much only ride there when the normal trails are too muddy.

Map tells you all of the directional trails. The loop taking in the blue trails is the fairly standard loop that most people will do.

If you head clockwise, the north east corner of the blue loop is the fun flowing bit. If you head anti-clockwise, the north west corner of the blue loop is the funner flowing direction. Blair Witch in the south west corner is downhill heading anti-clockwise.

(not to say that the fun flowing bits are all downhill flow, there's still climbing, but I personally think certain sections flow better in certain directions).

The Commonwealth Games / Competition track in the West is all up a bit meh. Loose gravel over hardpack, narrow and lots of braking bumps.

If you're not confident with your technical skills, you'll probably find Follow Me, Aneurysm and Granite Link a bit too much. They're tricky and technical trails, but very fun when you can do them well. If you want to give them a crack, I'd try them in that order. Watch out for the big boulder drop at the top of Follow Me (there's a B line). Most of the gap jumps and the big log wall have been removed from Aneurysm, so it's faiiiirly safe, but there's still plenty of endo potential on the little jumps.
Reaching new levels of softness!

Ghislain

Postby Ghislain » Mon 11 Apr 2016, 9:11 am

Thanks Snuffy, very helpful. I'll report back on my misadventures.

Ghislain

Postby Ghislain » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 1:35 pm

Had some fun out there yesterday. Did the 'blue loop' anticlockwise then returned clockwise (including an appropriate wrong turn in Blair Witch) before taking in a couple of runs down 'Follow Me', which was a hoot.

A shame the cafe is closed down. Could have killed a bucket of coffee at the end.

Thanks again for the advice.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 8:34 am

That's a decently long ride.

I normally have a hard time convincing my mates to ride more than one loop.....

Ghislain

Postby Ghislain » Fri 15 Apr 2016, 3:37 pm

I'd had enough by the end!

Only meant to do one Follow Me, but took Buckle Down after my first run, then got my bearings wrong, turned right instead of left onto Lower Buckle and before I knew it I was at the junction to climb back up to Follow Me again. So I had to have another crack.

faster

Postby faster » Sat 16 Apr 2016, 6:42 pm

I never know where to go around lysterfield. I should point out I've only been there a handful of times this lifetime, but still....

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Sat 16 Apr 2016, 9:54 pm

All of this talk about not knowing where to go in Lysty suggests that we should organise a group ride...

Return to “Plan a ride”