MS Melbourne Cycle - 6th march 2016

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
wagger

MS Melbourne Cycle - 6th march 2016

Postby wagger » Wed 21 Oct 2015, 7:18 am

Sunday 6th March 2016
Distances: 30km and 50kms

http://www.msmelbournecycle.org.au/

I believe there may be 50% off entry fee today only (21st October)

Normal entry fees:

http://www.msmelbournecycle.org.au/inde ... ge&id=1003

There are now 3km and 7km family routes as well being brought in 2016

New start and finish line @ Flemington Racecourse
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

wagger

Re: MS Melbourne Cycle - 6th march 2016

Postby wagger » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 7:16 am

Really great day yesterday.

I was sector manager B - entrusted to look after the vollies/ course b/w the bottom of the Westgate Bridge and North Willy.

Wake up call @ 3:30am and on the course @ 4:30am.

Most of the course marshalls turned up, and on time, so I was able to get them out on the course very quickly. Had to do a quick reallocation as Sector A came up short with their vollies.

Last minute course change on the Saturday with Todd Road being shut due to the roadworks, so that also required some quick thinking of reallocating of a few positions.

Only two incidents that were broadcast over the ride radio, including one that happened right near me: Possible broken wrist & ankle and the other was a suspected broken knuckle.

I did hear of the 5 person tandem breaking a chain and trying to figure out how to get it fixed or picked up

People were already struggling by the 30/50km split on Melbourne ride. Talking to a few, they were chuffed to have ridden up the bridge without stopping. I heard of no incidents on the bridge.

Bikes ranged from high end to old clunkers. Only a couple of people were stopped from riding over the bridge and they were put on the sweep bus and driven over the bridge and were able to resume the ride on the other side. Quite a few family groups, including young kids, or single parent/ single kids riding. Vicroads were hot on making sure the bridge was reopened at 9:30am

Being a brand new course, there were a few logisitical issues that happened behind the scene, but made no impact on the riders and none of them would have been aware of the quick thinking/ fast moves and quick decisions made behind the scenes.

So much goes on behind the scenes to make these a seemless event that participants can enjoy, and be totally unaware

Great support by the Altus traffic staff and great enthusiastic attitude shown by the vollies.

Now for the ms walk & run in june

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 8:49 am

I rode to Williamstown on Sunday morning, so I saw the MS Ride signs, a big stream of riders going over the Westgate as I caught the punt underneath and some stragglers on my way home again. There did look to be quite a few kids doing the ride, which was nice to see and it turned out to be a beautiful day for it.

Helen

Postby Helen » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 9:01 am

We were shocked at the approach to the Flemington car park. Normally we could just park down a side street and get the bikes off the bike rack, but around Flemington residential parking is understandably very tightly sewn up with Permit zones, so didn't want to risk missing the start. As we turned into Epsom road we could see the earlier cohort pouring out of the gate and was scratching my head wondering how I would turn left into Langs road and then left again into the car park, as the map indicated.
Turning into Langs Road was... interesting as I was forced into the right lane, fortunately no oncoming traffic. So we were then driving in the RH lane along Langs road with bikes full bore in the LH lane. At that point I was going to bail as I was convinced that no sane organiser would plan for incoming cars turning left across a public bike ride???!!! Only the fact that now we were wedged in with other cars carrying bike racks convinced me that I hadn't just got things completely wrong.
Sure enough, cars were slowly being waved across the path of the oncoming cyclists to turn left into the car park.
I confess I'm a bit gobsmacked by this.
The rest of the ride was great, though. Somehow the team I was in managed to ride so slowly I missed the West Gate by THAT much due to a toilet stop in Pt Melb :( Took the Punt across, where I was the only rider on the boat for some reason, and caught up with the team at Hyde street!
Enjoyed the Flemington "event village", but for goodness sake make some other traffic arrangement for cars entering the car park next time!
Oh, and we had a team member with MS who did just fabulously :D
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 10:25 am

wagger wrote:I was sector manager B - entrusted to look after the vollies/ course b/w the bottom of the Westgate Bridge and North Willy.

Well done on volunteering - people often don't realize the number of people and hundreds of hours work that goes on behind the scenes for events to take place.

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 11:42 am

Ahhh Helen, i think I heard about your story on the day, just missing the cutoff. Sorry to hear you were upset at missing the bridge, but vicroads are really hot on the closure, down to the minute. And the countdown to the closure was being broadcast regularly over our radios and they were getting a bit more urgent with each update. Cyclists were being seriously pushed by the sweep van to get over the bridge before the 9:30am cutoff.

Thanks for the feedback on entry into the showgrounds. I will be having a telephone feedback session with the head of volunteers in the next cuppla weeks when things calm down, so I will definitely be providing feedback to them (no mention of names). This was a brand new course so they are definitely looking for constructive feedback.
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Helen

Postby Helen » Mon 07 Mar 2016, 1:30 pm

THanks Wagger - Yes I did do a bit of a Jedi NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO when told - but a beautiful day all up even without the Bridge. And the Punt is always lovely :)
THanks to all Vollies.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Riskman

Re: MS Melbourne Cycle - 26th March 2017

Postby Riskman » Sun 26 Mar 2017, 8:32 pm

Did the MS Ride today. The course was changed to go through Williamstown, which was a significant improvement on last year's edition - well done to the organisers.

Vollies were once again very supportive of the riders - thank you.

Had a great day raising money for a good cause.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu 13 Apr 2017, 11:50 am

I did one in 2015 and returned this year. I agree - this year's course was much better and the on-course marshalling was awesome too.

It is a great event and there is something for all riders, in support of a very worthy cause.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker & Jamis Xenith Elite & Focus Mares CX

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Fri 14 Apr 2017, 6:50 pm

Gotta love a day-glo turban or three.

Family and a few friends started together. SWMBO and Thing2 (8yo) did 30km. I did 50km with Thing1 (11yo).

Perfect day, and great route.

Return to “Plan a ride”