Strathbogie Slider

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
Claude Cat

Strathbogie Slider

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 19 Feb 2015, 4:59 pm

Here's an interesting ride I've come across, that some might be interested in.

L’Eroica style ride, 50% gravel, and two dates (Saturday 14 March 2015 and Sunday 22 March 2015).
Note that this is a casual social media pickup bunch ride that might appeal to some out there...

https://nixtrader.wordpress.com/rides/slider/

NixTrader

Re: Strathbogie Slider

Postby NixTrader » Thu 19 Feb 2015, 6:26 pm

I joined this forum when Claude suggested posting the ride here.

So if anyone has any questions or comments, you can post them here and I will try to respond ...

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Fri 20 Feb 2015, 1:25 pm

Hey guys. Looks like a good event. Good luck with it.

But I'll have to correct you on your claim "Victoria also doesn’t have a long gravel ride event." There's quite a few being run by Audax Australia.

Coming up next month is the "Gippsland Gold" 200km ride. Details here:

https://www.facebook.com/events/1573632 ... r=upcoming

This is an annual ride. Others include 200km including most of the Grand Ridge Rd in Gippsland, a 400km ride in east Gippsland over Mt Skene etc, a 100km ride in the Bunyip State Forest area etc.

There's also the Melbourne Gravel Grinders which runs dirt rides sporadically. http://melbournegravelgrinders.blogspot.com.au/

NixTrader

Postby NixTrader » Fri 20 Feb 2015, 2:28 pm

Thanks for response hamishm,

Yes this point has been raised before, and perhaps I should clarify earlier in the ride details on my site.

My aim with this ride was to design a route with terrain and roads that were still accessible to traditional road frame bikes as well as other bike types. That's why there are all the photos so people can see that.

People have mentioned dirty gran fondo and melbourne gravel grinders rides before - but my research on those suggests that they are more suited to MTBs or CX, with CX being the minimum that is feasible.

Those mixed-terrrain Audax rides in Gippsland are interesting. I only found out about those a week or so ago. It's a bit of a puzzle how I missed them. I've been researching this type of rides for about a year, so it surprises me that they never popped up anywhere in my google searches or being mentioned in related articles I've read. I did look at Audax routes, but perhaps only locally - and maybe they didn't come up because they are all in Gippsland. Can't really explain it.

Are you able to confirm it is practical to do those mixed-terrain audax rides on a traditional roadie?

Heather

Postby Heather » Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:05 pm

This ride sounds VERY interesting :)
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

cleatus

Postby cleatus » Sat 21 Feb 2015, 9:31 pm

Heather wrote:This ride sounds VERY interesting :)

Very, very interesting.

Lovely ride page NixTrader and thanks for the invite. :D

The Saturday date is looking good for me.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sat 21 Feb 2015, 10:46 pm

Yes, it does look good.
I'm glad that any bike can be used, not just retro steel.
Because my retro steel is still in pieces awaiting my input

NixTrader

Postby NixTrader » Sun 22 Feb 2015, 8:14 am

Thanks for your positive comments. Look forward to getting your emails.

For those in Melbourne, I would also like to point out that in March weather is usually better north of the dividing range, than on the south side. In my view March is best riding month of the year north of the dividing range. Can't guarantee anything tho!

hamishm

Postby hamishm » Sun 22 Feb 2015, 6:13 pm

NixTrader wrote:Those mixed-terrrain Audax rides in Gippsland are interesting. I only found out about those a week or so ago. It's a bit of a puzzle how I missed them. I've been researching this type of rides for about a year, so it surprises me that they never popped up anywhere in my google searches or being mentioned in related articles I've read. I did look at Audax routes, but perhaps only locally - and maybe they didn't come up because they are all in Gippsland. Can't really explain it.

Are you able to confirm it is practical to do those mixed-terrain audax rides on a traditional roadie?

I have ridden the Grand Ridge Rd on 25mm Vittoria Randonneurs (fairly tough tyres), and otherwise I had a touring bike with 30mm tyres. The Grand Ridge was a bit sketchy on those. I probably wouldn't ride any of those on my usual 25mm GP4000s. I don't have that bike any more so I haven't ridden any of those gravel rides since. They're pretty epic though.

So good idea to put on a ride that would suit the road bikes too.

Here's a bit more info on some of the Audax gravel rides: http://www.melbournerandonneur.org.au/

NixTrader

Postby NixTrader » Sun 22 Feb 2015, 9:30 pm

Thanks for response Hamishm

Yes that's about what I expected. And I've changed my text to indicate it's suitable for traditional road frame bikes to avoid slighting those other rides.

However, even on my ride I expect most riders on roadies will put on the widest tyres their road frames will fit.

NixTrader

Postby NixTrader » Fri 06 Mar 2015, 10:09 pm

First ride day is just a week away, the 14th. I'm getting nervous.

I've emailed more route information to everyone who gave me their email address. So if you would like to come on the ride and didn't get an email you have to email me through the address at the bottom of this page to get on the list.

For added inspiration I suggest you watch livestream of Strade Bianche pro gravel race in Tuscany on Saturday night (7/3).

It's interesting I got a pretty good response from this forum. However, when I posted about the ride in another forum with "network" in the title I got banned and all my previous posts on any topic were removed. It seems the owner of that forum doesn't like it's members being invited on a free ride! Bizarre really.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 07 Mar 2015, 9:27 am

NixTrader wrote:First ride day is just a week away, the 14th. I'm getting nervous.

I've emailed more route information to everyone who gave me their email address. So if you would like to come on the ride and didn't get an email you have to email me through the address at the bottom of this page to get on the list.

For added inspiration I suggest you watch livestream of Strade Bianche pro gravel race in Tuscany on Saturday night (7/3).

It's interesting I got a pretty good response from this forum. However, when I posted about the ride in another forum with "network" in the title I got banned and all my previous posts on any topic were removed. It seems the owner of that forum doesn't like it's members being invited on a free ride! Bizarre really.

That is bizarre. Ride planning, ride reports, and meeting up with some like-minded riders if you want company is a key attraction of a forum.

Hint: ride reports with pics are expected for this ride now :mrgreen:

NixTrader

Postby NixTrader » Sun 15 Mar 2015, 9:35 am

What an awesome ride!

Day 1 done and dusted. Dusted very appropriate term. Plenty of sliding, but no stacks among the group, not even a puncture. Took a lot longer than expected - lots of interesting scenic places to stop and chat.

Looking forward to next week already.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 15 Mar 2015, 11:30 am

NixTrader wrote:What an awesome ride!

Day 1 done and dusted. Dusted very appropriate term. Plenty of sliding, but no stacks among the group, not even a puncture. Took a lot longer than expected - lots of interesting scenic places to stop and chat.

Looking forward to next week already.

Looked at your strava file, and there's some nice climbs there.
Looking forward to Sunday.

cleatus

Postby cleatus » Sun 15 Mar 2015, 1:18 pm

Looking forward to next Sunday as well!

Any photo action from yesterday's ride to stir the juices ?

Return to “Plan a ride”