Desperately seeking distance

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
nezumi

Desperately seeking distance

Postby nezumi » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 9:24 am

I am currently doing the Great Cycle Challenge and I am sitting on around 820kms of my 1,000 km target. (I have to update my progress!)

I am heading from Melbourne CBD home to Heidelberg tonight, and I have been given a pass to stay out late and build up the kms. To that end, I am after some route plotting help to figure out the following:

• Around 60kms plus
  • Minimum traffic lights/stops/intersections
  • Preferably not too much climbing

I have never ridden Beach Rd, so I am comtemplating a lap down there or doing laps of Albert Park at present. I find I do better when I am heading *somewhere*, even if it is a ciruitous route - e.g. I have been riding the Main Yarra Trail to Yarra Boulevard in Kew for my ride home, which has been really good.

If anyone wants to join/guide me that would be awesome! :mrgreen: :P
Last edited by nezumi on Tue 28 Oct 2014, 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: Desperately seeking distance

Postby Snuffy » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 9:45 am

Surely this calls for a Flatbar Princess Loop?

Okay, that's a bit more than ~60km...... and it might include the Mullum Mullum Trail... which is a little bit hilly
Reaching new levels of softness!

WAK

Postby WAK » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 9:54 am

Are you riding a road bike, commuter, CX or MTB? Do you do shop/group rides in traffic or are you more confident solo or tandem? The suggestions will be different for each.

If you want to avoid lights and traffic in the evening why not take the Merri Creek trail to Mahoneys Road and back. That will add around 40ks return from the start at the Yarra.
http://www.moreland.vic.gov.au/parks-pools-sport/discover-our-creek-trails.html
You can then venture out further on the Eastern Freeway trail until you get to Park Road (it's steep after there).

Between these options you'll be well on your way to target and only have to negotiate pedestrians, poorly behaved dogs and the occasional potential mugger.

There is the option of doing laps of the Kew Boulevard....which does have a few hills but is a relatively safe traffic light free choice. The return trip is 13ks so 3 of these will give your total a 40k boost....or a bit more if you add in a loop of the crit circuit each lap.

If working the road in a group is more appealing, there are some evening shop rides. KAOS Custom Bikes do one down to Mordi leaving Glenhuntly at 6:30. For their Tuesday night ride you need to be confident in a small fast group amongst traffic to enjoy this option.

Happy pedalling and good luck with your target.

WAK
Keep it wheel! :-)

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 10:02 am

WAK wrote:Are you riding a road bike, commuter, CX or MTB? Do you do shop/group rides in traffic or are you more confident solo or tandem? The suggestions will be different for each.

If you want to avoid lights and traffic in the evening why not take the Merri Creek trail to Mahoneys Road and back. That will add around 40ks return from the start at the Yarra.
http://www.moreland.vic.gov.au/parks-pools-sport/discover-our-creek-trails.html
You can then venture out further on the Eastern Freeway trail until you get to Park Road (it's steep after there).

Between these options you'll be well on your way to target and only have to negotiate pedestrians, poorly behaved dogs and the occasional potential mugger.

There is the option of doing laps of the Kew Boulevard....which does have a few hills but is a relatively safe traffic light free choice. The return trip is 13ks so 3 of these will give your total a 40k boost....or a bit more if you add in a loop of the crit circuit each lap.

If working the road in a group is more appealing, there are some evening shop rides. KAOS Custom Bikes do one down to Mordi leaving Glenhuntly at 6:30. For their Tuesday night ride you need to be confident in a small fast group amongst traffic to enjoy this option.

Happy pedalling and good luck with your target.

WAK

I'm on a CX bike running roadie tyres - I can happily hang on to a bunch (I ride with 99 bikes on Tuesday morning Boulie runs, and occasionally with Cyclehouse Greensborough on Saturday loops)

I was contemplating one of the flowing bike paths, just trying to avoid the ones with too many intersections (e.g. the Upfield path).

I just did a re-check of my month so far, and I am actually on 833kms out of my 1,000km target. :D

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 10:30 am

You could try the Moonee Ponds Creek bikepath out to the ring road path and then follow that till you reach the Plenty River Trail. Wouldn't be too many intersections/stopped time at all in that and probably end up around 55-60km.

Ron

Postby Ron » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 3:31 pm

You could try Darebin Creek trail, pick it up at Alphington and head up through Kingsbury. You won't be far from home if you need to get back. At Plenty Rd where trail stops you have to take footpath North and cross creek then you can head under Plenty Rd, I think it does the same at Kingsbury Dv.
I'd offer to do some k's with you but tonight and tomorrow night I've got commitments.
You could come to seminar at South Morang on Wedensday evening with Cycling Physio Lucas Owen if you like, that would give you some extra K's. Being held at Spin Fit South Morang, 6:30pm $10 inc nibblies.
Ron

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 4:41 pm

I was seriously considering a Beach Rd group, but I think I will opt to take the Merri Ck trail as far north as I can go, then go east, then south to home.

Thanks all for the suggestions!

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 4:48 pm

that will get you to Mahoney's Road, now go under bridge (on right) and over merri creek and cross the ring road large pedestrian bridge and go left towards Craigeburn, from Coburg return thats about 70ks. at Cooper street you can stop for food. its a lonely ride out there across the wastelands so keep focused.
__________flow................___________

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 9:36 pm

I ended up following the Main Yarra Trail out of the CBD, then the Merri Creek trail, Ring Road trail and the Darebin Creek trail down to Livingston, then in to Heidelberg. Total was 61.2, taking me to 104.6kms for the day.

106kms more and I'll have hit my target! :D

Marx

Postby Marx » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 12:16 pm

Sussing out Melbourne metro routes that loop back, avoiding roads/traffic lights/motor traffic, so I can keep pedalling instead of stop/start like you get with roads in places.
Just this morning I did a counterclockwise loop: Captial city trail > Yarra trail > Koonung > Eastlink > Mullum Mullum > Main Yarra trail (return).

https://www.strava.com/activities/514423181/

Question:
The Mullum Mullum creek path: I had to hike-a-bike between Heads rd & Park St (going north), is there a better detour for this little bit?
Ta.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 12:39 pm

It's been a few months since I rode past that bit and so not sure if the MM Creek path is now joined up. We usually leave the Koonung at Park road and ride down Park road to join up with the Mullum Creek path on the left just down the hill at the foot of Whitefriars. Traffic on Park road weekdays, unless in school pick up times, is usually light. Otherwise like you we found there was some bush bashing to get through at the base of Whitefriars to the Mullum when we did it a few years back.

Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Frosty » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 12:47 pm

If you want another loop, check out my attached Strava.
https://www.strava.com/activities/218998649

It is mainly on Bike paths and minor suburban streets, except around Mordialloc. You could ride from Mordy Creek along the cliffs to Naples Rd Mentone then the Bay Trail starts. I enjoyed this ride.

Marx

Postby Marx » Sat 12 Mar 2016, 3:43 pm

Oh, 5 hours might be pushing the friendship back home Frosty (if I don't roll out before 4am..). Although it does seem you need to ride out as far as Dandenong Creek before you find a off-the-road link east to south towards the bay.

The loop I did today, it was uninterrupted pedaling from the pipe bridge at Fairfield boat house counterclockwise, with only Chandler Hway (fluked no cars so rode through it), Elgar & Tram roads crossings, all the way around jumping out off the bottom of Darebin path at Wilgrove St, prettymuch. I did get lost-ish where I doubled back on Eastlink looking for the start of Mullun Mullun trail (to turn left at the concrete path just b4 crossing Beckett Rd) but otherwise nearly 3 hours of continuous pedaling.

Maybe I should do it again to fix that bit missing Mullum path turnoff & make it a continuous Strava segment (Tram Rd Box Hill counterclockwise to Wilgrove St Alphington), 40.5km segment! :twisted:
Just a bike & a place to ride.

j9

Postby j9 » Fri 01 Apr 2016, 8:55 pm

Marx wrote:Sussing out Melbourne metro routes that loop back, avoiding roads/traffic lights/motor traffic, so I can keep pedalling instead of stop/start like you get with roads in places.
Just this morning I did a counterclockwise loop: Captial city trail > Yarra trail > Koonung > Eastlink > Mullum Mullum > Main Yarra trail (return).

https://www.strava.com/activities/514423181/

Question:
The Mullum Mullum creek path: I had to hike-a-bike between Heads rd & Park St (going north), is there a better detour for this little bit?
Ta.

If heading North then I get off Eastlink Trail at maroondah Hwy and head up the highway to Mitcham and turn right at Mitcham rd then get back on the trail about 200m past Park rd.
For the majority of Maroondah Hwy you have service road if you want to keep off the main highway. I tend to take the main highway down then flick in to the service lane after Cook rd.
Mitcham Rd is also a slight decline so quickest and easiest route. You could turn earlier at East Doncaster Rd but that is a local rat run with more intersecting streets than staying on Mitcham rd. You also have traffic light controlled intersection at Mitcham Rd.
"More waffle here than a BBC breakfast!" - The Duckmeister

Return to “Plan a ride”