Melbourne Graffiti Ride

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
mj

Re: Melbourne Graffiti Ride

Postby mj » Tue 26 Aug 2014, 8:56 pm

I'm surprised Croft Alley hasn't been mentioned, it's a must-see, along with Hardware.

I did a walking tour of Fitzroy street art run by City of Yarra recently which took in some choice locations, notably Chapel Street (off Johnson), murals on and off Moor St, Argyle St (street view even has some writers at work on #60!), laneway next to Fitzroy Revolution which includes the hooded girl, and those spots are all worth visiting. If only I could count myself as enough of a content expert to talk about the artists involved

I live in Balaclava and Woodstock Street is where Putos and some others painted a brilliant mural on the side of an old storehouse/stables on the corner of Nightingale. I walk past it every day :-)

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 26 Aug 2014, 10:52 pm

^ some of those sites are known and we can incorporate... :D

There is a great newish one in Fitzroy I must share...

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 29 Aug 2014, 12:48 pm

And today I see the new one I wanted to share has garnered front page media attention for offensive beer profiling...

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Fri 29 Aug 2014, 1:15 pm

Well, that IS an offensive beer.

(And how many different labels can we expect to see on that over the ensuing months?)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri 29 Aug 2014, 1:19 pm

Oh wow. That's an interesting piece of art and certainly divisive. Hope we can see it before it gets covered over. :D

fixie

Postby fixie » Fri 29 Aug 2014, 2:11 pm

baudman wrote:Well, that IS an offensive beer.

(And how many different labels can we expect to see on that over the ensuing months?)

I think that someone is getting a little precious about this. The poor artists have been forgotten. The can has Adnates name on it, and the stubby says "Me".

All possibly because the artists wished to avoid controversy with SAB who own the Melbourne Bitter brand.

Political correctness and trade neutrality can sometimes go to far and so we are all diminished.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

fixie

Postby fixie » Fri 29 Aug 2014, 2:30 pm

I am keen. I once did a similar tour in Compton. No suggestions for sites at the moment.

The List

Canuck (still thinking about my intended site...)
ian - coming from Ringwood, the concept of graffiti as art intrigues me somewhat....
weg
Summernight (will confirm closer to the date)
baudman
fixie
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:07 pm

So what's the route looking like for this ride?

I saw a couple more nice artworks when traipsing around Collingwood/Abbotsford, including a fantastic one near the corner of Johnston and Hoddle. They could possibly be incorporated along a route if we're heading from Richmond to Collingwood/Fitzroy or vice versa.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:23 pm

Good question! Numbers are looking small, so we can easily make it pretty tailored. CBD meet, Richmond, possibly towards Abbotsford if there are things there?, back towards Fitzroy, etc. No one has suggested anything too far out of the way yet, so this is looking pretty easy. There is a heap of stuff in the CBD and inner Fitzroy area. I'll sit down and do something a little more specific this week, but otherwise, the small numbers attending = tour guides!

Poida

Postby Poida » Mon 15 Sep 2014, 4:52 pm

This is the most up to date list I could find:

The List

ian - coming from Ringwood, the concept of graffiti as art intrigues me somewhat....
weg
baudman
Poida (will confirm after Sat ride - but looks interesting)
aka Mudge

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue 16 Sep 2014, 9:51 am

Canuck wrote:Good question! Numbers are looking small, so we can easily make it pretty tailored. CBD meet, Richmond, possibly towards Abbotsford if there are things there?, back towards Fitzroy, etc. No one has suggested anything too far out of the way yet, so this is looking pretty easy. There is a heap of stuff in the CBD and inner Fitzroy area. I'll sit down and do something a little more specific this week, but otherwise, the small numbers attending = tour guides!

:D

There's a Chinese-looking dragon on the side of a wall I want to look more closely at in Abbotsford (along Murray Street - a back street with bike lane beside the brewery that'll avoid Victoria Street). Along Nicholson St, Richmond is a small park with animals painted on the building walls, although nowhere near the standards of Makatron.

And depending on the way we head to/from Richmond Station, about four of the signal boxes along Punt Road on the way to the station from Albert Street have been turned into commissioned artwork (one of which is of Makatron bees). Only small pieces though and on both sides of the road so not necessarily worth specifically going to unless we head that way.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Thu 18 Sep 2014, 6:20 pm

So... Start point? Time still 9AM?

Marti

Postby Marti » Thu 18 Sep 2014, 8:21 pm

The List

weg
baudman
Marti - I know little of art or graffiti but the ride sounds fun!

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 8:58 am

I'm kinda hoping someone uploads their ride to Strava so I can check out where you end up going as I have too many other ride options on Sunday (supposed to go on AMG training ride...but the Dirty Dozen does beckon intensely).
It just takes 1 idiot...

ian

Postby ian » Fri 19 Sep 2014, 9:31 am

The List

weg
baudman
Marti - I know little of art or graffiti but the ride sounds fun!

Just realised I was still on the list.
Removing myself - at Sandown instead, going round and round but hopefully not off....
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

Return to “Plan a ride”