Ride the Night 2015 - 1 Feb 2015

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
canters

Re: Ride the Night 2015 - 1 Feb 2015

Postby canters » Sat 31 Jan 2015, 8:36 pm

Looks like there might be a couple of showers tonight.......and a bit cool

Looks like I won't be wearing my Borat outfit after all......

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Sat 31 Jan 2015, 8:44 pm

The list:
JAC on the green Hooligan - clothing undecided - frock and pearls has been suggested.
Atom Ant on the white Hooligan.
Gus! on roadbike
Gus! gf on a borrowed percrime road bike
Percrime On his CRI road bike

This list thing not going so wel is it?

Atom Ant

Postby Atom Ant » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 11:04 am

Percrime wrote:The list:
JAC on the green Hooligan - clothing undecided - frock and pearls has been suggested.
Atom Ant on the white Hooligan.
Gus! on roadbike
Gus! gf on a borrowed percrime road bike
Percrime On his CRI road bike

This list thing not going so well is it?

I think there were a few more of us on Queue the Night / Walk the Night / Ride the Night than indicated above. I didn't recognise Canters - maybe if he had worn his mankini I would have. :shock: I did see a well-known forum rider rolling* on rather large tyres.

* actually,we were stationary [again] at the time.
Up and at 'em

JAC

Postby JAC » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 6:06 pm

Atom's description of "Queue the Night" was apt. The midnight start meant we got rolling at maybe 12.45 (and there were many riders still behind us), but we soon encountered a major queue in Toorak Rd waiting to cross St Kilda Rd.
The "cut off" time at the first rest stop was advertised as 1.15am, but I estimate we arrived there at about 1.30am.
It was cold, wet and breezy along Bitch Rd, and we skipped the rest stop to keep moving.
We stopped briefly at the second stop.
Our interest was waning. The weather was most unhelpful. The persistent light drizzle and intermittent actual rain showers made for wet roads, wet butt, and eventually the cool breeze left me feeling quite cold.
When we got to Flinders St, we paused to consider our options. We opted for home, and had a lovely ride home. Warm shower, hot chocolate and bed.
I don't know who tested the timing of the route, but they clearly didn't factor in just how long it takes for thousands of cyclists to clear intersections.
I'm glad we went, I'm glad we bailed and headed home. I'm absolutely not recommending it to my friends for next year.
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

weg

Postby weg » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 9:35 pm

Good to know JAC.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 9:56 pm

Shame about the weather. I was curious to know how this ride / route / entertainment would play out. Seemed like great possibilities... unrealised potential?

JAC

Postby JAC » Sun 01 Feb 2015, 11:45 pm

Canuck wrote:Shame about the weather. I was curious to know how this ride / route / entertainment would play out. Seemed like great possibilities... unrealised potential?

There seem to be plenty of positive comments on the FB page about the ride, so it obviously appealed to others more than me.

Atom Ant

Postby Atom Ant » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 12:22 am

The weather was no friend to the ride, but the ride's problems were due to more than inclement conditions.

I was curious as to how BNV would solve the problem of moving 2500 riders through city streets with frequent traffic lights and along bike paths with their attendant limitations. The answer is that they didn't. As a result, much of my attention was given to not trusting the other riders; there wasn't so much time to enjoy the sights along the route.

Hmmm, entertainment. Before the ride I wanted to know what entertainment would be available at each rest stop. With more rest stops than were needed for the distance, knowing what was on where would help plan which stops to prioritise or skip. After the ride I still don't know what entertainment I missed.

A couple of positives:
- most of the riders were surprisingly well-behaved. Very few riders were too important to wait at red lights and voices were mostly kept at a reasonable volume.
- folk who arrived early enough to depart in the first few hundred would have experienced a ride much closer to what BNV thought they had designed.

Thanks to those who volunteered.

The ride home was lovely - the MYT/GCT is very nice at night if you don't have to share it with too many other users.

Would I Ride the Night again? Certainly I'll ride the night again, but not in a 2500 rider event.
Up and at 'em

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 7:32 am

Atom Ant wrote:I did see a well-known forum rider rolling* on rather large tyres.

Oh really? ;)

JAC wrote:When we got to Flinders St, we paused to consider our options. We opted for home, and had a lovely ride home. Warm shower, hot chocolate and bed.

Eggzacery what we did - up Swanston, we called it and turned up Collins to head for home.

Did anyone else see the cop ~St Kilda telling everyone to ride on the bike path? Did anyone else get the impression that he wasn't part of the official traffic management? I found that truly truly stupid. Three lanes of empty-ish road, while 2000+ riders are forced onto a 2m wide strip of bike path that has parking signs along the length of it.

:roll:
Reaching new levels of softness!

JAC

Postby JAC » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 10:40 am

Snuffy wrote:Did anyone else see the cop ~St Kilda telling everyone to ride on the bike path? Did anyone else get the impression that he wasn't part of the official traffic management? I found that truly truly stupid. Three lanes of empty-ish road, while 2000+ riders are forced onto a 2m wide strip of bike path that has parking signs along the length of it.

:roll:

Yep. Helpful. :roll:

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Mon 02 Feb 2015, 10:59 am

JAC wrote:I'm glad we bailed ...

And here's all the great slow shutter speed colourful light trail shots I took of people rolling past my predetermined vantage point.

[ ]

Like them? ;)

(Being tucked up in bed seemed like a much better option).

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 03 Feb 2015, 9:04 am

Was feeling pretty seedy when I woke up on Sunday morning after the ride, depsite having had ~7 hours of sleep. Pushed through the day and had no problems sleeping, then waking at my usual times.

Buuuuut I've been feeling a bit behind for the last couple of days.

Am I getting too old for these shennanigans?

vwong

Postby vwong » Tue 03 Feb 2015, 12:47 pm

^You're doing it wrong, should've chosen the desired path of some warm alcoholic beverages.
Australian Defence Cycling
http://www.adcc.asn.au/

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 03 Feb 2015, 1:47 pm

After your performance at Buller, I'm not convinced that's the greatest idea....

vwong

Postby vwong » Tue 03 Feb 2015, 6:19 pm

Well played.
Australian Defence Cycling
http://www.adcc.asn.au/

Return to “Plan a ride”