Ride the Night 2015 - 1 Feb 2015

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
wagger

Re: Ride the Night 2015 - 1 Feb 2015

Postby wagger » Sat 25 Oct 2014, 7:59 am

less than 700 spaces now available
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

ausedwagon

Postby ausedwagon » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 3:12 pm

I was getting keen to do this with a group of friends who don't ride but they have a ban on all Ebikes. I could do the ride on a normal bike but i would rather take my new cargo bike or my daily commuter and make it a door to door ride, for my friends who don't ride much the ability to use one of my electric bikes makes it a nice prospect. without one there just not interested.

end mini rant
"Great Cycling Starts Here"

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 3:22 pm

ausedwagon wrote:I was getting keen to do this with a group of friends who don't ride but they have a ban on all Ebikes. I could do the ride on a normal bike but i would rather take my new cargo bike or my daily commuter and make it a door to door ride, for my friends who don't ride much the ability to use one of my electric bikes makes it a nice prospect. without one there just not interested.

end mini rant

An e-bike is still human powered - I'd be seeking an explicit confirmation that ebikes are excluded.

If that is the case, I'd then be finding out if the ride is conducted on closed roads, and if not I would participate regardless. You may miss out on the "parties", but other than that... :)

ausedwagon

Postby ausedwagon » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 4:13 pm

nezumi wrote:
ausedwagon wrote:I was getting keen to do this with a group of friends who don't ride but they have a ban on all Ebikes. I could do the ride on a normal bike but i would rather take my new cargo bike or my daily commuter and make it a door to door ride, for my friends who don't ride much the ability to use one of my electric bikes makes it a nice prospect. without one there just not interested.

end mini rant

An e-bike is still human powered - I'd be seeking an explicit confirmation that ebikes are excluded.

If that is the case, I'd then be finding out if the ride is conducted on closed roads, and if not I would participate regardless. You may miss out on the "parties", but other than that... :)

From there facebook team this is there response:
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your enquiry.
Finally, regarding electric bikes, we've partnered with Bicycle Network to deliver Ride the Night. Bicycle Network, as a health promotion organisation, is big on physical activity being vital for a happy, healthy life. They'd like to make bike riding part of every day life and, as such, run events only for human powered bicycles. Apologies if this makes things tricky for you - you've stumbled on a significant, organisation-wide strategic aim which, unfortunately, provides little room for flexibility.

Hope to see you on Jan 31!

Cheers,
Josh

Im still keen to go the deciding factor at the moment will be if my new bike is here in time....

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 4:20 pm

wagger wrote:less than 700 spaces now available

Would that be 699 spaces?
Although I’m not sure if this means that hardly anyone has entered, or that it’s nearly full?

I should organise a completing ride on the same evening, like that iPad ad on the tele with the riders in yellow T-Shirts
( Slow-Roll Detroit? ).
Just a bike & a place to ride.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 4:40 pm

ausedwagon wrote:From there facebook team this is there response:
Hi Sean,

Thanks for your enquiry.
Finally, regarding electric bikes, we've partnered with Bicycle Network to deliver Ride the Night. Bicycle Network, as a health promotion organisation, is big on physical activity being vital for a happy, healthy life. They'd like to make bike riding part of every day life and, as such, run events only for human powered bicycles. Apologies if this makes things tricky for you - you've stumbled on a significant, organisation-wide strategic aim which, unfortunately, provides little room for flexibility.

Hope to see you on Jan 31!

Cheers,
Josh

Im still keen to go the deciding factor at the moment will be if my new bike is here in time....

Getting more people riding more often!*

(*Unless they are in a position where they don't yet have the fitness/endurance to ride the distance they need to travel, in which case..... %$^# 'em)

There is also this eBike article in Ride-On

Atom Ant

Postby Atom Ant » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 5:14 pm

ausedwagon wrote:
nezumi wrote:An e-bike is still human powered - I'd be seeking an explicit confirmation that ebikes are excluded.

From their facebook team this is their response:
Josh on FB wrote:Finally, regarding electric bikes, we've partnered with Bicycle Network to deliver Ride the Night. Bicycle Network, as a health promotion organisation, is big on physical activity being vital for a happy, healthy life. They'd like to make bike riding part of every day life and, as such, run events only for human powered bicycles. Apologies if this makes things tricky for you - you've stumbled on a significant, organisation-wide strategic aim which, unfortunately, provides little room for flexibility.

I'm still keen to go the deciding factor at the moment will be if my new bike is here in time....

If the ebike is a proper electric power-assisted bike, then the electric motor is only an auxiliary motor, i.e., the bike's principal power is human.

I can understand BN's refusal to allow electric scooters that have vestigal cranks so as to "comply" with the definition, but BN should not have any objection to genuine power-assisted bikes.
Up and at 'em

ausedwagon

Postby ausedwagon » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 5:50 pm

Im with you guys and i have spoken to them. Even posted a brilliant article from e-bike reviews to the event page. the Facebook response i sent was:

The part on electric bikes doesn't make sense. One of the best ways to get more people using there bike every day is by using a e-bike. There not electric motorbikes there still push bikes but have the motor there for assistance. I believe that it will also limit your reach to people who view themselves as cyclists rather than anyone and everyone why is willing to raise money for a good cause. Is this something I can talk to an organiser about?

13 October 15:58

Hi Sean,

Fair points. I'd refer you to Jason Robilliard at Bicycle Network. His contact details are (03) 8376 8840 or jasonr@bicyclenetwork.com.au.

Cheers,
Josh

ausedwagon

Postby ausedwagon » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 5:52 pm

and point 21 is the part that exempts any electric bikes, from talking to them it is there to stop all electric bikes attending.

http://ridethenight.org.au/wp-content/u ... FINAL2.pdf

ausedwagon

Postby ausedwagon » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 5:58 pm

Atom Ant wrote:
ausedwagon wrote:
nezumi wrote:An e-bike is still human powered - I'd be seeking an explicit confirmation that ebikes are excluded.

From their facebook team this is their response:
Josh on FB wrote:Finally, regarding electric bikes, we've partnered with Bicycle Network to deliver Ride the Night. Bicycle Network, as a health promotion organisation, is big on physical activity being vital for a happy, healthy life. They'd like to make bike riding part of every day life and, as such, run events only for human powered bicycles. Apologies if this makes things tricky for you - you've stumbled on a significant, organisation-wide strategic aim which, unfortunately, provides little room for flexibility.

I'm still keen to go the deciding factor at the moment will be if my new bike is here in time....

If the ebike is a proper electric power-assisted bike, then the electric motor is only an auxiliary motor, i.e., the bike's principal power is human.

I can understand BN's refusal to allow electric scooters that have vestigal cranks so as to "comply" with the definition, but BN should not have any objection to genuine power-assisted bikes.

i can understand why they wont allow Illegal bikes on the ride too. they shouldn't be on the road.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Tue 28 Oct 2014, 9:05 pm

This, and the parts before and after this, could be useful.

...A motorised bicycle is not classed as a bicycle if:

the motor is the primary source of power
the motor's power output exceeds 200 watts (whether or not the motor is operating).
These are considered to be motorcycles...

https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... d-bicycles

wagger

Postby wagger » Sat 01 Nov 2014, 7:36 am

early bird entries shut tomorrow (sunday)

Per facebook, less than 500 spaces left

JAC

Postby JAC » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 1:58 pm

Sold out! (I believe there are 2,000 riders)
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Mon 03 Nov 2014, 3:24 pm

I believe they're going to have a word with the various authorities and look at the prospect of having more - although they're aiming for quality of event, over quantity of riders.

wagger

Postby wagger » Sat 17 Jan 2015, 6:02 pm

In doubt, with the necessary permits yet to be issued:

http://www.news.com.au/national/victori ... 7187593709

Return to “Plan a ride”