The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic 2014

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
barefoot

The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic 2014

Postby barefoot » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:15 pm

By popular demand...

The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic returns for 2014!

Bigger and better, and now with a bonus extra "a" [1]!

REGISTRATION NOW OPEN!

Fine details are still being debated by the organising committee, but the date is now locked in. Clear your diaries for Saturday 29 March 2014.

The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic incorporates numerous subsidiary events, including the Ballaarat to Werribee Classic, the Ballaarat to Bacchus Marsh Classic, the Ballan to Bacchus Marsh Classic, the Ballan to Melbourne Classic, and several other variations that will become apparent to keen observers of combinatorial mathematics. All potential start and finish points are well serviced by our good friends at PTC Vic.

Background

The Melbourne to Ballarat Classic has a long and proud history of over 100 races. It's an iconic race, but as a social ride it leaves a lot to be desired.

They ride uphill, against the prevailing wind, on a freeway, at the coldest and most miserable time of the year. They don't actually start in Melbourne, and they don't stop at a single pub, cafe or bakery along the way.

The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic aims to right all of these wrongs.

History

The inaugural Ballarat to Melbourne Classic was ridden on 23 March 2013. Details can be found here on the forum, or here on Facebook (for those who meet strict security clearance criteria), or here at PKSFA.

Some 28 people battled howling tailwinds and braved the gruelling descents to cover somewhere in the vicinity of 150km (allowing for navigational inconsistencies) from Ballarat railway station to Federation Square.

Purpose

The Pallister-Killian Syndrome Foundation of Australia wants your money!

Our pilot-scale event last year raised a modest (but well appreciated) sum of money for PKSFA. This year we're aiming higher. Money-grabbing details TBA.

Sponsorship opportunities are available if you hold (or influence) corporate purse-strings that might be interested in supporting the Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic or PKSFA.

The Event

The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic 2014 will have similarities to the Ballarat to Melbourne Classic 2013.

It will also have differences.

Details will be revealed when the time is right...

The List

Everybody likes a list!
Official registrations will open when the time is right...

tim

[1] The modern day metropolis of Ballarat occupies part of the Ballaarat sheep run, established in 1837. The official spelling of the town has taken both forms at various times, and the foundation stone on the town hall names the city with the double "a" spelling. Although the universally accepted modern spelling is with a single "a", the double "a" form is occasionally used, usually for purposes of pretension. The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic is a strong supporter of all things pretentious, and proudly adopts the double "a" spelling for 2014.
Last edited by barefoot on Thu 23 Jan 2014, 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

nikolai

Re: The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic 2014

Postby nikolai » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:30 pm

Woop!
Bananas in Bandanas.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 4:30 pm

The List

tim
nikolai (?)
baudman

[1] The modern day metropolis of Ballarat occupies part of the Ballaarat sheep run, established in 1837. The official spelling of the town has taken both forms at various times, and the foundation stone on the town hall names the city with the double "a" spelling. Although the universally accepted modern spelling is with a single "a", the double "a" form is occasionally used, usually for purposes of pretension. The Ballaarat to Melbourne Classic is a strong supporter of all things pretentious, and proudly adopts the double "a" spelling for 2014.

Ballaarat to Bearbras/Batmania/Bearport etc etc?

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 5:07 pm

Does it matter where we get lost next time?
I found myself riding through the same playground so many time in Point Cook last time that children started to throw tan bark at me.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

nezumi

Postby nezumi » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 5:08 pm

This sounds like a great ride, something that I'd really enjoy being a part of!

... Except I am already doing the Scody High Country Challenge on that day.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 6:48 pm

Might see if I can convince a few of the crew to attend and treat it as a Murray to Moyne training ride.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker & Jamis Xenith Elite & Focus Mares CX

fattima

Postby fattima » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 7:28 pm

I can't make it next year, but this is a fantastic ride. The route is great, Tim and his lovely partner do a great job organising it, and there is beer at the end :D
One of the best rides I have done in a ages, do support it folks.
King of NAF.

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue 10 Dec 2013, 9:31 pm

nezumi wrote:This sounds like a great ride, something that I'd really enjoy being a part of!

... Except I am already doing the Scody High Country Challenge on that day.

Yeah, it's not easy finding a weekend in Autumn (aka the dozen or so weeks when Victoria stands a reasonable chance of having decent weather) that doesn't have a handful of organised rides already on it.

I guess the HCC is more of a hardcore athletic challenge, whereas the Ballaarat to Melbourne is a fun day out on bikes. Diff'rent strokes for diff'rent folks. Obviously some folks like to stroke it both ways (ooer!)... so at least now they have a few months to figure out which one they'd prefer to do this year.

Ballaarat to Melbourne is guaranteed to have up to 100% more country pub lunches than the HCC :-P

tim

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 11:42 am

Totes interested!

ian

Postby ian » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 12:37 pm

The List

tim
nikolai (?)
baudman
ian - this time sans knobbies & panniers. (And perhaps not so much time spent at the brewery the afternoon before the event)

I say each year of the event, an additional 'a' and for extra pretentiousness an 'l' should be added.
So, next year it should be the Balllaaarat to Melbourne Classic 2015.
Just gives it that extra touch of class :wink:
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:13 pm

ian wrote:I say each year of the event, an additional 'a' and for extra pretentiousness an 'l' should be added.
So, next year it should be the Balllaaarat to Melbourne Classic 2015.
Just gives it that extra touch of class :wink:

We could mix them up, aiming to eventually make it tbe Balalalalalalalalalalalarat to Melbourne Classic.

I'll consider implementing a checkpoint at the Lerderderg River if we eventually need somewhere to put more syllables in the Balalalalalalalalalarat to Lerderderderderderderderderg to Melbourne Classic.

tim

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:24 pm

barefoot wrote:the Balalalalalalalalalarat to Lerderderderderderderderderg to Melbourne Classic.

That would have to be ridden on 2-strokes, surely?

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:28 pm

the Balalalalalalalalalarat to Lerderderderderderderderderg to Melbourne

That is going to be a challenge for the commemorative jersey design.

Fantastic ride last year, will certainly avail myself again.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 11 Dec 2013, 1:43 pm

barefoot wrote:the Balalalalalalalalalarat to Lerderderderderderderderderg to Melbourne Classic.

'Balalalalalalalarat' to the tune of 'Deck the Halls'?

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Fri 13 Dec 2013, 7:11 am

Set in wet concrete...

DATE CHANGE!

I was going to do the March 29th until the MAD ride locked in on the next day. Really didn't want to clash with them, so chose to clash with the HCC instead.

Now MAD ride has had to postpone, we can go back to the original plan!

Of course, we'll still clash with something, because it's riding season. But 29th works better for me.

tim

Return to “Plan a ride”