The Slog

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
wagger

Re: The Slog

Postby wagger » Wed 06 Apr 2016, 12:25 pm

GreenAlias wrote:I'll be happy to go again this year. Enjoyed the 2014 & 2015 rides.

On another note: The slog organisers have just sent out email with links to the official photos - all 1400 of them - but I can't find any way of searching. I vaguely recall that in previous years you could search for your photo by rider number or email or something, but this year there seems to be no search facility. Does anyone know how to do it?

you can view them @ about 20 per screen (ie. 4 across/ 5 down) and then start scrolling. The 2nd half of the part I are the 160km ride so I didn't even bother looking.
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

The Slog

Postby The Slog » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 1:23 pm

GreenAlias wrote:but I can't find any way of searching. I vaguely recall that in previous years you could search for your photo by rider number or email or something, but this year there seems to be no search facility. Does anyone know how to do it?

Hi GreenAlias, Our photographer had trouble cataloging the photos because the rider bibs were often under wet weather gear etc. Hopefully this year we'll have enough bibs displayed to make it possible to make them searchable using your bib number.

DarrenT

Postby DarrenT » Thu 14 Apr 2016, 2:11 pm

perhaps to assist a number on the handle bars like MTB races have?
Darren

wagger

Postby wagger » Sun 17 Apr 2016, 3:20 pm

Agreed, make the number smaller, say half the size of a3?

The big canberra bike ride has the perfect size for putting on the front

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Thu 21 Apr 2016, 12:44 pm

The Slog wrote: Hi GreenAlias, Our photographer had trouble cataloging the photos because the rider bibs were often under wet weather gear etc. Hopefully this year we'll have enough bibs displayed to make it possible to make them searchable using your bib number.

Thanks. Is there some way of recalling what our bib numbers were. I looked back at the rider info PDFs that were issued when we registered but they're not included.

Another problem is that when you go to the Gallery - there is no search function.

The Slog

Postby The Slog » Fri 05 Aug 2016, 11:42 am

Earlybird ends 31st August

http://www.theslog.com.au/

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Mon 08 Aug 2016, 10:38 am

please put in proper traffic controls and signage, you can't run an event safely on a shoe string, especially if you attract less experienced riders.
__________flow................___________

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 08 Aug 2016, 2:10 pm

mtb101 wrote:please put in proper traffic controls and signage, you can't run an event safely on a shoe string, especially if you attract less experienced riders.

Have you got specific examples that you didn't feel safe? To help the 4cs enact some worthwhile changes

With <550 riders, it's the smaller numbers that I actually enjoyed and made me feel safer. The quiet safe back country roads. RTB I feel completely unsafe. I actually enjoyed the solitude I had riding most of this alone. The mind games my mind played with me. Did I take a wrong turn? Where the hell am I? Thought you said this was 80kms...? That cross wind along the final creek. When's the next water stop? If I stop for a roadside pee, what are the chances of a local farmer seeing me? If I puncture, will someone find me dead 3 weeks later still trying to change the tube. That sense of self sufficiency but knowing there is support if needed. And the lunches were really nice too

Agree, the signage could have been bigger and earlier warnings coming up to turns in some parts, but all things considered, I really enjoyed this ride

At the end of the day, it is a charity event run by a small charity/ church, and can't be expected to be on the same level as an events company run event.

kramer10

Postby kramer10 » Wed 10 Aug 2016, 9:39 pm

A
Last edited by kramer10 on Sun 30 Oct 2016, 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The Slog

Postby The Slog » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 2:56 pm

kramer10 wrote:Also the back road from Drouin to Nar Nar Goon wasn't so bad when I rode it 25 years ago. But I believe that a lot of cars and trucks pass very closely now on this stretch of road as quoted by some of the participants on last years ride. Last year I rode between Tynong and Nar Nar Goon and the cars went past me very very close. So maybe more signage on this stretch would be better.

Hi kramer10, From 2015 we head south at Bunyip and take the much quieter Bunyip River Road. Check out the routes and mapmyride: http://www.theslog.com.au/160km.html

kramer10 wrote:I do believe that the road from Korumburra to Warragul is not suitable for bikes. I have driven this road for the last 30 years and I would never ever feel safe riding my bike around some of those blind corners.

From my personal experience, after setting off from the 160km lunch stop in Ellinbank it's been really quiet and I've never felt unsafe. However, we'll discuss it again at our next committee meeting.

---

mtb101 wrote:please put in proper traffic controls and signage, you can't run an event safely on a shoe string, especially if you attract less experienced riders.

Hi mtb101, thanks for your concern. We do our best to improve our rider experience each year. If you have specific examples we would love to hear about it, please email us at info@theslog.com.au.

I'll just clarify that we have volunteers directing riders at major turns and volunteer support vehicles stationed every 15-20km supplying food, water and other assistance. We also have around 57 Traffic Guidance Systems displaying the rider silhouette and "Event In Progress" positioned throughout the routes (many of which you will not see, due to them being on roads intersecting the routes, warning motorists that are entering a shared environment). We have large direction arrows before each turn, the map on the back of your Bib, maps on our website and you can even download a .kml or .gpx file for your GPS from mapmyride. We also have roaming volunteer first aiders and roaming mechanical assistance as well as SAG wagons tailing each route.

Here's as extract of the T&C's
The rider understands that participation in this bicycle ride involves riding on public roads used by other traffic and is aware of the hazards involved in that and of riding bicycles in general. The rider must have sufficient competence and experience to participate safely in such riding.

It's also important to note that this is a charity cycling event that provides riders with a well supported relaxed ride through Gippsland. It's in no way a race and does not involve any road closures. Therefore VicRoads have been satisfied with our risk mitigation and have approved our event for the past 12 years. We've been fortunate enough to have a good safety record and do our best to keep it that way.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Fri 26 Aug 2016, 3:14 pm

kramer10 wrote:I do believe that the road from Korumburra to Warragul is not suitable for bikes. I have driven this road for the last 30 years and I would never ever feel safe riding my bike around some of those blind corners. But Poowong then Timms road to Hallora then past lardner park to Warragul that way is much quieter. Also the back road from Drouin to Nar Nar Goon wasn't so bad when I rode it 25 years ago. But I believe that a lot of cars and trucks pass very closely now on this stretch of road as quoted by some of the participants on last years ride. Last year I rode between Tynong and Nar Nar Goon and the cars went past me very very close. So maybe more signage on this stretch would be better.

How is Main South Road any safer than the Warragul-Korumburra Road??? Same with Drouin/Longwarry - Nar Nar goon Road - been riding (and racing) regularly along there for the past 5 years and no issues whatsoever.

The fact is that they are rural roads and cars / trucks / buses are traversing at rural road speeds, ie up to 100kph. If all road users drive / ride to the conditions and in a safe manner, there will be no issues.

The Slog is a uniqie ride and passes through some of the best cycling country in Victoria - in my humble opinion...

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker & Jamis Xenith Elite & Focus Mares CX

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Tue 30 Aug 2016, 3:58 pm

kramer10 wrote:I do believe that the road from Korumburra to Warragul is not suitable for bikes. ...................... Last year I rode between Tynong and Nar Nar Goon and the cars went past me very very close.

The road between Tynong & Nar Nar Goon is not part of this year's route. The road between Korumburra & Warragul looks bad from within a car but it's not so bad when you're out on the bike (especially when there's another 200 cyclists in the area). If you don't like that bit then just do the other route which avoids that stretch. You don't have to nominate which route in advance, just decide on the day.

Having done both routes in previous years and also done several "practice" rides in that area I don't have any unusual/extra concerns re safety over & above my usual cautions. I just paid up for my early bird entry - fingers crossed for a fine day.

For anyone who hasn't been before this is an enjoyable ride. They have good food, coffee & ice-cream at the finish :mrgreen:

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 10 Jul 2017, 12:53 pm

THE FINAL SLOG......

Registrations now open - EARLY BIRD entry fee of $55 ends 31st August 2017:

Saturday 11th November 2017

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Saturday November 11th will be The Final Slog. It was a very difficult decision for us to make, we've loved the opportunity to serve our community for the past 14 years. But we're all at a different stage in life than when we started this all those years ago. We hope everyone jumps on board to make The Final Slog the greatest ending to this much loved event!

https://vimeo.com/222769703

I've registered for the 30km at this stage - give me something to target and celebrate one of the best rides around

jvb

Postby jvb » Tue 11 Jul 2017, 10:39 am

wagger wrote:THE FINAL SLOG......

Registrations now open - EARLY BIRD entry fee of $55 ends 31st August 2017:

Saturday 11th November 2017

:( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :( :(

Saturday November 11th will be The Final Slog. It was a very difficult decision for us to make, we've loved the opportunity to serve our community for the past 14 years. But we're all at a different stage in life than when we started this all those years ago. We hope everyone jumps on board to make The Final Slog the greatest ending to this much loved event!

https://vimeo.com/222769703

I've registered for the 30km at this stage - give me something to target and celebrate one of the best rides around

That's a good move. You've paid the money so now you can start building up towards the ride. How long since you've done a distance like that?

I've never done this ride. I don't know why not, it's close by.
At $55 it is one of the cheapest organised rides and all proceeds go to the allocated charity (unlike some other rides!). I may do the 100km.

The Slog

Postby The Slog » Tue 17 Oct 2017, 8:18 am

Things are about to get real! In only two weeks the rider mail-out will be posted. It'll contain your bib, rider guide brochure, fundraising information and hopefully a surprise from our friends at Trek Bicycle Store Springvale. So don't delay, register before 26th October to ensure you're part of the mail-out. If you miss out, you'll need to pick your bib up at check-in.

A summary of the information sent out in the pack can be found here: http://www.theslog.com.au/on-the-day.html and for more detailed information consult your "Rider Info Guide" emailed to you when you registered.

The Final Slog will be held on Saturday November 11th. All the details can be found on our site http://www.theslog.com.au

Return to “Plan a ride”