The Slog

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
The Slog

Re: The Slog

Postby The Slog » Sun 01 Nov 2015, 8:22 pm

MICHAEL_MACGYVER

Postby MICHAEL_MACGYVER » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 6:35 pm

Whats the best place to park at for this? My start time is @ 8:30am

wagger

Postby wagger » Tue 03 Nov 2015, 8:22 pm

MICHAEL_MACGYVER wrote:Whats the best place to park at for this? My start time is @ 8:30am

The massive patch of dirt behind the school is where everyone parks

Go in the school driveway and follow the cars/ volllies to behind the school on the pakenham side of the school. Cyclists depart away from the cars heading towards the new horse racecourse

Last year there was only 550+/- cyclists so the longer rides are off within 15mins and you won't get tangled up as they depart away from where cars are arriving
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

macca33

Postby macca33 » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 7:18 pm

The weather is looking reasonable for Saturday - bring it on!
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker & Jamis Xenith Elite & Focus Mares CX

MICHAEL_MACGYVER

Postby MICHAEL_MACGYVER » Thu 05 Nov 2015, 9:06 pm

Yeah looks ok....can't wait....

ajft

Postby ajft » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 11:28 am

That which did not kill me will make make stronger... perhaps, eventually, if only I could get off my lazy arse and train a bit.

I finished the 160/150km, was lantern rouge in to lunch and, I suspect, in to the finish. Today there are a large mix of aching pained parts, spread evenly over my entire body, so clearly I didn't overdo it with any one part of my anatomy.

A great fun day, typically gippslandian weather alternating sun, overcast, drizzle and rain, mixed in with some persistent constant winds on some stretches. Saw a lovely big red-bellied black snake coiled up in the grass at one point and decided against stopping for a photo, the only other wildlife along the route was varied, but dead; frog, bluetongue lizard, echidna, 'roo and wombat.

The Garmin's battery lasted for the first four hours, I used Strava on the phone for the second half, so there's no ride over 100km for me so far this month, just an 80km and a 67km!

MICHAEL_MACGYVER

Postby MICHAEL_MACGYVER » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 3:02 pm

I must say apart from the Wind rain Sun Wind Rain....yesterday was a absolutely ripper day...thanks again to all those involved in organizing. I will definitively be back next year!

wrowl

Postby wrowl » Sun 08 Nov 2015, 5:10 pm

First time riding the Slog, and it was a great day out. The weather was a mixed bag, but the light rain throughout the morning was rather nice. The scenery through the rolling hills was absolutely beautiful. Unfortunately I found myself isolated after the lunch stop, which made the 20 km out from Bunyip into a head wind a real Slog! Overall a very well organised ride that I will hopefully return for next year.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Mon 09 Nov 2015, 10:16 am

great course, tough day on the bike and for the number of entrants it works fine as a boutique type cycling event.

nice hills around strezleki.

you have to wonder if event got bigger numbers doing 160/100k, then the lack of traffic controls - such as slowing down traffic to say 60kph, (ie vehicles/large milk trucks etc speeding past us at 100kph), no police presence, no roving marshals on motorbikes - well can't say it would be safe with that volume of riders. they'd have to either pick a safer route or better organise event traffic management wise.
__________flow................___________

MICHAEL_MACGYVER

Postby MICHAEL_MACGYVER » Mon 09 Nov 2015, 10:39 am

Yeah would ahve to agree the cars blowing past you at 100KPH was a bit nerving at times.

macca33

Postby macca33 » Mon 09 Nov 2015, 3:01 pm

How far does one go and how much do people wish to spend, given the Slog is 100% for the charities. Speed reductions, police and marshalls all add up to significant cost - look at what the Amy Gillett Gran Fondo costs to participate in, or ATB, where there are no special road changes, apart from the Westgate.

As far as I could see, there were no more than 40 or so in any one bunch at any given time, due to the fact that riders settle into their own groups fairly quickly and as far as the traffic goes - we ride in that every day without issue.

I get the safety aspect and the requirement on the part of the organisers to run a safe event, but cotton wool wrap isn't really required and the drivers were very considerate on the day - as they always are in West Gippy.

cheers
'dale CAAD10 Berzerker & Jamis Xenith Elite & Focus Mares CX

ajft

Postby ajft » Mon 09 Nov 2015, 4:35 pm

MICHAEL_MACGYVER wrote:Yeah would ahve to agree the cars blowing past you at 100KPH was a bit nerving at times.

I found that the cars were generally fine (except for on the coming home stretch, Drouin to Nar Nar Goon, where every year without fail there are knobs in utes who fly past without moving out, or sometimes with moving in). Third time I've ridden the slog, third time I've been run off the road by a gravel truck & trailer somewhere down near Lang Lang though -- probably exacerbated by me being by myself so there's not a group of riders for them to think for a second or two about maybe, just maybe, pulling out.

Dcyclist

Postby Dcyclist » Tue 05 Apr 2016, 2:37 pm

Registration now open for this year Nov 5th
Dave
Bianchi Via Nirone
Merida Scultura EVO 904

wagger

Postby wagger » Wed 06 Apr 2016, 10:03 am

I've signed up for the 160km ride :shock:
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Wed 06 Apr 2016, 12:19 pm

I'll be happy to go again this year. Enjoyed the 2014 & 2015 rides.

On another note: The slog organisers have just sent out email with links to the official photos - all 1400 of them - but I can't find any way of searching. I vaguely recall that in previous years you could search for your photo by rider number or email or something, but this year there seems to be no search facility. Does anyone know how to do it?

Return to “Plan a ride”