BAD ride - Ballarat Autumn Day Ride

Organise and talk about upcoming rides group rides. Don't forget to check the "Find a ride" calendar too!
barefoot

Re: BAD ride - Sunday May 1st

Postby barefoot » Mon 02 May 2011, 11:19 am

Well, a very pleasant day's riding was had.

Rain held off for the most part - we had a few showers, but never enough to seriously consider getting the rain jacket out.

I did a mash-up of the two courses, which (when combined with the ~4km each way from home to the start) tallied up 85km for the day. Happy enough with that... very impressed with Hannah who didn't get tooooo grumpy at any stage of the proceedings in the Rear Admiral's seat.

We basically followed the 105km route, except for the big northern loop, where I took the 50km route's direct shortcut from Molonghip to Dean for lunch. H was getting a bit restless, so discretion pre-empted a meltdown and we enjoyed a long lunch break instead. She was mostly happy again after lunch (I even got a few tens of km of her famous improv songwriting compositions), so we finished the remaining loop (and climbs!) of the long course, pausing briefly near Mt Rowan when she started nodding off.

A random stranger approached at lunch and asked if I was Baudman. I corrected him, but neglected to enquire as to his identity. Assumed to be Ozrider, judging by The List. Nice to meet you, whoever you are.

Caught up with another friend after lunch, riding the 50km with his wife, towing their two kids (4 and 1) in a trailer behind him. 40kg of cargo, by his estimation. HAF.

As always, a superbly organised and conducted event. Will be back, again and again.

tim

spyder

Postby spyder » Mon 02 May 2011, 12:38 pm

I was umming and ahhing about doing this ride due to the heavy rain forecast. Needn't have bothered.
It was a pleasant morning, slightly overcast and no rain! So I jumped in the car and headed to Ballarat.( always seems longer then the 1 hour predicted traveling time).
Armed with extra rain gear, which I didn't need (only took a spray vest in the jersey pocket) I headed off on a 100k route. There were that many route twists and turns that I felt like a lab mouse, whose only prize was a piece of cheese at the end of the journey :lol: Saying that, it was an amazing ride, loved it. Great scenery, few challenging climbs, and a highlight of seeing Steve Monaghetti and a (hot) training partner doing what he does best. Ended up doing about 115 k's ??
Oh, and last but not least, I want to thank all the Volunteers for their fantastic effort ( the friendliest bunch I have experienced ) and kudos to the guy who went the extra yard, dressing up as a Caveman!

ozrider

Postby ozrider » Mon 02 May 2011, 6:58 pm

barefoot wrote:A random stranger approached at lunch and asked if I was Baudman. I corrected him, but neglected to enquire as to his identity. Assumed to be Ozrider, judging by The List. Nice to meet you, whoever you are.
tim

Tim, sorry, it wasn't me.

I think I passed you a couple of times, I do recall seeing a little cutie singing away to herself on the back of a bike.

From memory a black flatbar?
Rgds Ozrider

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Mon 02 May 2011, 7:17 pm

Did the 25km with Mrs Weeeeeee and Mini Weeeeee (who's about the same size these days!).
Took it easy, enjoyed the scenery and completed the course in a very leisurely pace. There was probably a total of 20 people riding the 25km ride.
The volly's were very nice and even stopped to check up on things when they spotted Mrs Weeeeeee walking up the last long hill...all was fine...she'd hit her brick wall and I was making her walk through it so she didn't seize up standing still. That worked and we rode the last 3km with ease (thanks to gravity :)).

Loaded two of the bikes back on the car and sent them off to Daylesford for lunch and then jumped on my bike in hot pursuit...they took 35 mins to get to Daylesford...It took me 55 mins (with a short stop to look for a geocache).
Was going to keep riding through to Woodend...but as it was also our 17th wedding anniversary, it was probably a wise choice to jump in the car after lunch to head to Creswick for her favorite Hot Choc shop (Choco Chy)
It just takes 1 idiot...

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Mon 02 May 2011, 8:53 pm

ozrider wrote:
barefoot wrote:A random stranger approached at lunch and asked if I was Baudman. I corrected him, but neglected to enquire as to his identity. Assumed to be Ozrider, judging by The List. Nice to meet you, whoever you are.

I think I passed you a couple of times, I do recall seeing a little cutie singing away to herself on the back of a bike.

Curiouser and curiouser :lol:

My little cutie was singing on the back of a burgundy-ish Long Haul Trucker with drops, mostly black bits, and a rather distinctive blue ano front rim. Apologies if I was joining in her song at the time :oops:

tim

ozrider

Postby ozrider » Wed 04 May 2011, 8:35 am

barefoot wrote:
ozrider wrote:

Curiouser and curiouser :lol:

My little cutie was singing on the back of a burgundy-ish Long Haul Trucker with drops, mostly black bits, and a rather distinctive blue ano front rim. Apologies if I was joining in her song at the time :oops:

tim

It must have been you, I don't think there was anyone else with a toddler on the back.

So many bikes, so many colour schemes...
Rgds Ozrider

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Re: BAD ride - Sunday May 6th

Postby baudman » Thu 03 May 2012, 12:08 pm

Was planning on doing this.

Ironically, unlikely to be now as we are likely to be seeing The Dead Salesmen the night before, and logistically it would prove too difficult.

baudman

Re: BAD ride - Sunday May 6th

Postby baudman » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:35 pm

It is with regret that we advise the BAD Ride is being discontinued. The BBOC and the BAD Ride committee sincerely thank all of our loyal volunteers, sponsors and supporters that have made the ride possible over the years. We trust that you have enjoyed the different annual BAD Rides around Ballarat during the previous 27 years.

https://www.facebook.com/ballaratautumndayride/

:cry:

Marx

Re: BAD ride - Ballarat Autumn Day Ride

Postby Marx » Fri 16 Feb 2018, 11:38 am

Probably off topic, but there has been lots of talk over the last 5 years that sanctioned organised events & race participation are all falling by the wayside being replaced by an influx of unofficial group rides & social rides.
I must admit there certainly is a lot happening in Melbourne & across Victoria when it comes to people just getting together & just going for a ride, regardless if it's on roadbikes or MTBs and everything & everywhere in between.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

baudman

Re: BAD ride - Ballarat Autumn Day Ride

Postby baudman » Sat 17 Feb 2018, 7:32 am

^ I'd imagine that would be a big factor. Social media allows you to create a group large enough to enable it.

So you'll get two ends - the ultra high end rides with big $ (eg: Peaks series)
Very small, crowded rides for those who are occasional/first time riders. (eg: MS Summer Ride).

These ones that were big, but not quite big enough, just can't make it happen.
Then again, it could also be that there was noone on the Bushwalking group's committee who wanted to volunteer to run the whole undertaking (and fair enough - it'd be a massive commitment). I believe that's why the MAD ride went by the wayside - it was just too much effort for volunteers.

Return to “Plan a ride”