iOS v Android

Discussion not related to cycling.
baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

iOS v Android

Postby baudman » Sun 25 Feb 2018, 11:48 am

I recently got my first iPhone. (I'd had a work iPhone for about a year about 5 years ago - I'm not anti Apple, I'm just more of an Android person.)

I would've loved to have stayed with Android, but my preferred manufacturer (HTC) are either huge or really low end, and I couldn't get a good deal on a Pixel 2. I did, however, get a great deal on an iPhone 8. And the rest of the family are on Apple, so there's some real benefits to synergy.

But... amongst my many small #fwp annoyances (inc. the fact that Siri has brilliant voice recognition, but can't actually DO anything "Here's something I found on the web about turning on bluetooth") I'm hoping there's a few were "there's an app for that" can fix.

Apple Health. Google Fit can detect if you are walking, jogging, or riding, to a reasonable degree of accuracy. Good enough for me anyway. I can see how far I've ridden, and looking at Location History (like big brother does) I can see where I've ridden. Apple Health... doesn't. I can get my number of steps.

Any app I've looked at requires you to start/stop, Strava style.

Do you know anything in iOS that's automagic?

baudman

Re: iOS v Android

Postby baudman » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 11:02 am

Found one. Looks pretty good.

http://human.co/

I don't think it's gonna give me a weekly/monthly/yearly total ride. But hey, at least I can see what I did during the day.

bc

Postby bc » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 4:11 pm

iPhone has "Pocket Track" - tracks activity without activating anything each time. The "Apple Mind" seems to want all info to end up in the "Health" app. You can connect apps, say Runkeeper (and Strava, and lots of others), to Health, and also see "Pocket Track" activities in Runkeeper.

jvb

Postby jvb » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 1:19 pm

I banned any Apple device from connecting to our home wifi network.
That was when the kids were little.
Now we have 3 iPhones, 2 iMacs and 1 MacBook on our network.
I think I have lost this battle, but will not concede defeat :evil:

baudman

Postby baudman » Wed 28 Feb 2018, 9:36 am

bc wrote:iPhone has "Pocket Track" - tracks activity without activating anything each time. The "Apple Mind" seems to want all info to end up in the "Health" app. You can connect apps, say Runkeeper (and Strava, and lots of others), to Health, and also see "Pocket Track" activities in Runkeeper.

Does pocket track discern between what the activity is? I thought it was just a line on a map?

bc

Postby bc » Wed 28 Feb 2018, 9:48 am

baudman wrote:
bc wrote:iPhone has "Pocket Track" - tracks activity without activating anything each time. The "Apple Mind" seems to want all info to end up in the "Health" app. You can connect apps, say Runkeeper (and Strava, and lots of others), to Health, and also see "Pocket Track" activities in Runkeeper.

Does pocket track discern between what the activity is? I thought it was just a line on a map?

Mine shows walking, but no map. My cycling is recorded explicitly, e.g. Strava, but it wouldn't surprise me if it made assumptions based on travel speed. I've now got an apple watch, and it surprised me by splitting my swimming time into freestyle and breast stroke - although it doesn't seem to detect back stroke.

Return to “Off topic”