RIP wagger

Discussion not related to cycling.
Frosty
Volunteer Moderator

RIP wagger

Postby Frosty » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:52 am

I have confirmed that wagger has died.

Below is when wagger and I tried to meet for a catch up, but to no avail.

Late August, wagger flew to the Gold Coast for some R&R and I had arranged to meet up with him for a coffee and chat.

wagger PMed me on 28th August, but I never heard from him again and as he never logged onto our forum, I was worried about him and sent him the below email and thought that I would publish his reply to my email, as it is pretty self explanatory.

On 8 Sep 2017, at 19:45, Wayne Frost <snowman3195@gmail.com> wrote:
Hi Brent,
I hope that you are Ok.
You haven’t logged into BV Forum since Mon 28 Aug 2017, 9:44 pm
Cheers
Frosty.

Sent: Tuesday, 12 September 2017 11:59 PM
To: Wayne Frost <snowman3195@gmail.com>
Subject: Re: wagger, Are you OK?

Heya Frosty

My sincere apologies on not catching up on the Gold Coast.

I got into a lot of health issues, right from day one up north and only just gettting back on my feet- still in hospital, back in Melbourne :

Day one, driving from Brisbane airport to main beach, 75-ish kms, took me over 3 hours as I had to keep stopping and resting. It was my first drive in a car in 14 months. There's a reason I gave up driving.

Then on day 2 things went down hill from there. By the Monday I was in Gold Coast hospital not eating, drinking, vomiting, diahorrea, nausea and unable to move. Stupid me, didn't even bother calling an ambulance. Caught an uber to the hospital.

That night I ended up in intensive care with fluids being pumped through. Luckily a friend is the Gold Coast secretary to the hospital board so she came down to emergency later that night. I am a "category one" patient which means I need to be seen by emergency within 30mins of arrival so was admitted within minutes. But scary interstate on my own in a hospital fighting for my life.

When I started going downhill very quickly I was moved to intensive care straight from emergency. 2 days later on the Wednesday strings were pulled by my oncologist in Melb who got me air ambulanced back to RMH in Melbourne and straight to intensive care aT RMH. A WEEK in intensive care at RMH then I was moved back to my transplant ward at RMH where I have been in isolation since last Wednesday morning. My family is here, my medical reports are here, my doctors are here, so all my support is in Melbourne. I even paid for a friend to fly up and fly back with me in the air ambulance as well as bring back my luggage. Luckily I am in the ambulance and I have the head of stem cell transplants at RMH as my oncologist for the last 15 years so favours were pulled.

Doctors have diagnosed "graft vs host disease" which is a disease that affects 50% of stem cell transplant recipients. At my worst I was losing 1kg a day and lost 13kgs all up.

Doctors put it down to coming down off the steroids & immunosuppressants too quickly (4 months is too quick apparently) and developing the graft vs host disease in the stomach, bowel, colon, liver, kidneys, sinuses. GVHD is good as it means my donor 's cells are stronger and killing mine, but it is a very fine line of coming off these drugs too quickly. I am on my 11th attempt to wean off these steroids, and roid rage is very real for me and very scary. I've already gone through an assault charge in may as a direct result of roid rage in a restaurant

So I have been bed bound for the last 2 weeks at least, and lost all track of time but alive to experience this. Doctors think I should be out of RMH on the weekend, but at a lot slower pace.

Not sure what the future holds, but certainly been pushed back a cuppla months on my recovery. I want to be at a certain level, but I am nowhere near where I think I should be. This is a whole new level for me and I have totally underestimated the whole transplant process. Even though this is my 2nd transplant. The first transplant was 2007 and used my own cells. This time my brother was my donor.

I do apologise for not catching up when I was up north, but stem cell transplants are tough, and graft vs host makes it even tougher!!!

The guy in the next room here at RMH has been battling GVHD for over 3 years and he is still struggling big time, so someone who was riding 5 days a week, this is mentally, physically and emotionally tough for me. Being sedate and listening to my body telling me to relax is very tough. I am still thinking of your fathers e-bike but I need to drop some more weight yet. I just need to ride a bike

We'll catch up at some stage as I do owe you a coffee as well as gratitude for keeping my stats on my rehab for me

Brent

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I have added the posts from the 'Good news thread'

Re: A good news thread
Postby j9 » Sun 08 Oct 2017, 5:29 pm
It is with sadness I advise that Wagger's MCL leaderboard battles have come to an end.
He passed away Friday due to complications with influenza

Postby Canuck » Sun 08 Oct 2017, 8:14 pm
^ I had gotten to the point where I thought he could fight anything if just given time.

Very sad. He did get his wish to get back on the bike again, very briefly. Next ride I will think of him - farewell him in cycling gear. Cruise down Royal Parade...up Victoria...through the backstreets of the northern 'burbs...

Postby Frosty » Sun 08 Oct 2017, 8:18 pm
j9 wrote:
It is with sadness I advise that Wagger's MCL leaderboard battles have come to an end.

Very sad to hear that.
When he came to Qld back on 28th August, he became ill then and we never managed to met up unfortunately.
Please pass on my condolences to his family, if possible.
Wayne.

Postby jvb » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:33 am
j9 wrote:

This is very sad. :cry:
I was looking forward to seeing him on the bike again one day.
My condolences to his family and friends.
Does anyone know if there will be a service?

postby Daicos Mullets » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:21 am
I'm really sad to hear that. It seemed like he could fight back from anything, particularly with his updates of getting back on the bike again. It's a bit of a shock to hear.

jvb

Re: RIP wagger

Postby jvb » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:21 am

Thanks Frosty.
As posted before, this is very sad news.
I know he was looking forward to doing the 30km ride in the Slog next month. All the more reason to enter.

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:45 am

Thanks Frosty. Very sad to read, I followed Wagger's story as a "lurker" and quietly cheered him as he got himself back on the bike. May he always ride sunny days, downhill and with the wind! ;)

Cheers
Trikester
Alan

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 11:20 am

:cry:

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 12:32 pm

:(

And those stories from the gym were all sounding so positive........
Reaching new levels of softness!

JAC

Postby JAC » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 3:53 pm

Sad news. RIP wagger.
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

fixie

Postby fixie » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:16 pm

Very sad news. I was looking forward to catching up with him at The Slog. Now it will become a ride in his memory. R.I.P
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:16 pm

Thats incredibly sad. :(

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 4:27 pm

RIP wagger. Very sad indeed.

ludlow

Postby ludlow » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 6:50 pm

Such a brave person, so very sad and brings things in our daily lives into stark perspective.

Thank you Frosty for his email.

Rest in peace Wagger.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 8:18 pm

fixie wrote:Very sad news. I was looking forward to catching up with him at The Slog. Now it will become a ride in his memory. R.I.P

+ 1

Very sad news indeed.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 9:50 pm

:(

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Mon 09 Oct 2017, 10:11 pm

Bugger. So very sorry to hear that.

RIP Wagger.
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Tue 10 Oct 2017, 2:12 pm

Saw this thread late last night and was reflecting on wagger during this morning’s busy commute. Filtering between so many cars (roads badly choked this morning) it made me think life was too short to be bogged down in traffic. I guess wagger reinforced that notion. He had plenty of obstacles in his way but seemed to always rise above it and find a way through. So long wagger :(
velocified

bc

Postby bc » Tue 10 Oct 2017, 2:33 pm

:( :( :(

Return to “Off topic”