Why are the Forums slowing down?

Discussion not related to cycling.

What do believe is the reason why the Forums are slowing down?

Other websites cater for our needs in a better way
12%
Too many arguments - not cheerful enough
22%
More people using handheld devices that are difficult to type on
11%
The change from BV to BN - BV not listening to its members
8%
Short attention spans - inability to stay on topic
4%
We are too small a portion of the overall cycling community
7%
Drop in quality - too many flippant, irrelevant responses
11%
Any other reason
26%

Total votes: 85

Mike.Ayling

Re: Why are the Forums slowing down?

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 01 Dec 2018, 11:20 am

Canuck wrote:
On a different tangent: I note now that random guests listed are often in the 40-60 number range, whereas in the past it was much lower. Not sure what this is about...

Are you saying that there are sometimes 40 to 60 guests on line at a time?

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 01 Dec 2018, 11:27 am

Consider this:
The route for the 2019 GVBR has been announced - Limestone Coast and (half of) The Great Ocean Road.

Yet nobody has commented so far about it!

Come on you blokes (of both genders), Try starting a few new threads instead of just whinging here!

Mike

fixie

Postby fixie » Sat 01 Dec 2018, 6:03 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:Consider this:
The route for the 2019 GVBR has been announced - Limestone Coast and (half of) The Great Ocean Road.

Yet nobody has commented so far about it!

Come on you blokes (of both genders), Try starting a few new threads instead of just whinging here!

Mike

How about you lead by example. I happen to be on the Limestone Coast right now and was completely unaware of where the GVBR 2019 will be going until you posted. I have an interest in this area of South Australia as I am sure do many forumers. But until BV oops sorry "Bicycle Network" can communicate more effectively with me I am likely to remain in the dark.

By the way just ran into, not literally, Terra Roams (http://www.terraroams.earth) who has just started a 2 year solo unsupported ride around Australia on a new Surly she has just taken delivery of err 500 or so kms ago. Very interesting lady. Look her up. Out of interest, her forum is on Instagram. Does she have many followers? See for yourselves.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 01 Dec 2018, 7:50 pm

I wasn't aware this thread was about whining :lol:

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 01 Dec 2018, 7:51 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:
Canuck wrote:
On a different tangent: I note now that random guests listed are often in the 40-60 number range, whereas in the past it was much lower. Not sure what this is about...

Are you saying that there are sometimes 40 to 60 guests on line at a time?

Mike

Yes

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Sun 02 Dec 2018, 7:51 am

Dalai wrote:Another reason why the forum may be slowing down is that the lost password code appears broken!

Tried this numerous times over the last few months to no avail plus tried the contact us form. I was only able to get my account unlocked by contacting David via FB who is also a member here yesterday and asking him to contact an Administrator. Thankfully Frosty emailed me and last night and was able to assign a new password.

Doubt many people would keep trying different avenues like I did...

Yep - something is broken.

I don't get an email anymore for quoted/mentions/notifications (so I'm very slow to respond, if I respond at all :roll: ). I don't get an email anymore if someone sends me a PM (someone sent me one months ago, and I only found it now :oops: ). I don't get an email anymore if I try to reset my password (luckily of my devices remembers my forgotten password, so I can still use that device to login :( ).

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Sun 02 Dec 2018, 9:49 am

How does the GVBR garner conversation from the regulars? I am sure most like me have no interest in that ride. I would suggest the stats would show participants are mostly school age children like my niece who took part this week.

jvb

Postby jvb » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 7:52 am

Dalai wrote:

How does the GVBR garner conversation from the regulars? I am sure most like me have no interest in that ride. I would suggest the stats would show participants are mostly school age children like my niece who took part this week.

BN uses facebook. If you follow them you would obviously know where next year's GVBR is.
The stats show that around 30% are school kids and the rest mostly middle aged men. Lots of grey beards on the ride every year :D

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 8:12 am

jvb wrote:
The stats show that the rest mostly middle aged men. :D

In lycra no doubt!

Mike

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Mon 03 Dec 2018, 10:26 am

jvb wrote:The stats show that around 30% are school kids and the rest mostly middle aged men. Lots of grey beards on the ride every year :D

I stand corrected. Very surprised by that!

fixie

Postby fixie » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 1:12 pm

Now that I am back from the Limestone Coast, I find that I have to retract something i said earlier. BV did contact me about the GVBR on 27 Nov which I found when i trawled through my emails!

But I have no intention of starting a thread about it. What is there to say?

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Tue 04 Dec 2018, 4:59 pm

fixie wrote:Now that I am back from the Limestone Coast, I find that I have to retract something i said earlier. BV did contact me about the GVBR on 27 Nov which I found when i trawled through my emails!

But I have no intention of starting a thread about it. What is there to say?

Have a look in the relevanf forum!

Mike

fixie

Postby fixie » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 3:46 pm

I have and now we all know why the forums are slowing down. Thank you Mike for your contribution.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 07 Dec 2018, 5:22 pm

fixie wrote:I have and now we all know why the forums are slowing down. Thank you Mike for your contribution.

No worries, Fixie. Glad to have been of some help.

Mike

LovinDirt

Postby LovinDirt » Wed 19 Dec 2018, 3:41 pm

I think this is as great a place as any.....

Lately when I look to the forums for some discussion, or even a tale of the daily commute; the dwindling contributions have repeatedly left me disappointed. I guess after so many years the same discussions have been taken to conclusion, all the advice has been handed around. I feel the strong opinions of a few have scared away newer more timid members and even a few seasoned vets.

I also think that life often changes direction, and it seems that people have drifted away, be it to another forum or FB I don't know... I've been hanging on in hope as the BN Merry-Go-Round slowly grinds to a halt, I've invited people and given threads a little kick, but I don't have the momentum.

There's a lot of great friends I've met via the forums (some I almost consider as family) and I expect to keep in touch by other means.
I'll keep riding, drinking beer, and doing stupid things; maybe all at once. I just won't be reporting it myself, as I doubt I'll be back next year.

If ya wanna have my deets to go for a ride and/or beer get in quick and PM me.
It's been fun,
Adam
Stay dirty, my friends!

Return to “Off topic”