Why are the Forums slowing down?

Discussion not related to cycling.

What do believe is the reason why the Forums are slowing down?

Other websites cater for our needs in a better way
12%
Too many arguments - not cheerful enough
22%
More people using handheld devices that are difficult to type on
11%
The change from BV to BN - BV not listening to its members
8%
Short attention spans - inability to stay on topic
4%
We are too small a portion of the overall cycling community
7%
Drop in quality - too many flippant, irrelevant responses
11%
Any other reason
26%

Total votes: 85

HughieP

Re: Why are the Forums slowing down?

Postby HughieP » Thu 14 Sep 2017, 2:48 pm

weg wrote: None of the old data pages will be available on the new website. He did offer to forward anything specific. So more than a decade of data is, for all practical purposes, lost.

Oh no, I don't think that is good enough. I regularly referenced those pages, particularly when dealing with BN themselves on horrible solutions that they have trumpeted as resounding successes. The Footscray Rd page in particular was a litany of lost opportunity and impotent advocacy.

Am I wrong to suggest that there has been a noticeable slowing in the forums since the change?

victor

Postby victor » Thu 14 Sep 2017, 5:46 pm

Perhaps we should all move en masse to Bicycles Network Australia (aka 'BNA') forums? Wouldn't that go down well with Bicycle Network? :lol:

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:02 am

victor wrote:Perhaps we should all move en masse to Bicycles Network Australia (aka 'BNA') forums? Wouldn't that go down well with Bicycle Network? :lol:

I understand that a number of people here have been banned/are not welcome there!

Mike
E-Bikes - Great for the sick, lame and lazy.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:04 am

weg wrote: ...... And when designing the new site, they found so few people using the search function that they didn't bother including one

The real problem is that the search function was so poor that the users became frustrated and stopped using it.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 9:07 am

Mike.Ayling wrote:
victor wrote:Perhaps we should all move en masse to Bicycles Network Australia (aka 'BNA') forums? Wouldn't that go down well with Bicycle Network? :lol:

I understand that a number of people here have been banned/are not welcome there!

Mike

Another "Sad but true" case.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 12:34 pm

HughieP wrote: .... Am I wrong to suggest that there has been a noticeable slowing in the forums since the change?

The original "Friends" thread started in April 2010 and this "Slowing" thread started in January 2012. Over that time I have been extracting the usage statistics approximately every six months (or so). If anyone was keen enough to go back through the threads they could use that data to chart a graph showing usage over time. My instinct is that we have been bumping along on the bottom now for about 12-18 months.

I didn't record any measurements in July so I don't know whether or not there has been a noticeable variation (up or down) since then. The last extract was on 2th May 2017 when Total Posts were 671,016 and members were 4581. As at today (15 Sept 2017) the Total posts are 672,707 & members = 4603. That's 15 PPD and 5 new members per month. By contrast, the BN Facebook page has 23,244 Followers and 224 visits so far today.

My original 2012 intention in starting the thread was to figure out why the Forums were slowing and to see if we could take action to overcome those reasons thus keeping the Forums alive, active & interesting. Alas, the Forums have been retrenched into history by the mass of mobile phones on Facebook and we have fought a losing battle. All we can do now is just keep posting until one day we wake up and the Forums just aren't there anymore.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 2:11 pm

GreenAlias wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:

Mike

Really? Who? Gossip!

I have seen lots of familiar names over there. I still prefer this forum for local talk about riding. And banter.

weg

Postby weg » Fri 15 Sep 2017, 5:33 pm

Canuck wrote:
GreenAlias wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:

Really? Who? Gossip!

I have seen lots of familiar names over there. I still prefer this forum for local talk about riding. And banter.

First I've heard too. I went over and had a look, after this suggestion, and see that the guy who answers women's questions like a piggy hermaphrodite is still there. Couldn't be bothered reassessing their mods.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 11:45 am

weg wrote:First I've heard too. I went over and had a look, after this suggestion, and see that the guy who answers women's questions like a piggy hermaphrodite is still there. Couldn't be bothered reassessing their mods.

(1)What is a piggy hermaphrodite?

(2)There is no "their". The site is privately owned and operated by a single individual who appoints his own mods.

Nevertheless the site gets more traffic than here at BV.

Mike

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 2:39 pm

Canuck wrote: ...... Really? Who? Gossip! ....

Hi Canuck, Please forgive me if my memory is a little vague and/or inaccurate on this - I was never personally involved, nor was I one of the ones who were banned. My recollection is that about 5-6 years ago when we were just starting to detect that our BV Forums were starting to slow a number of BV forumites started posting on the BNA website.

I have forgotten exactly who they were and it's possible that they're no longer here anymore either. They all reported a similar story - that is, they made a post on the site that incurred the wrath of the owner - who sent them a blistering email/PM and banned them. It seems that (at the time) the BNA website was dependent on sponsorship advertising for survival and the BV forumites had made an unflattering remark about one of the sponsor's products.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 3:12 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote: .......... (1) What is a piggy hermaphrodite? ....

Hi Mike, In the context of Weg's post, I think she means "awful arrogant person who disrespects women"

Marx

Postby Marx » Sat 16 Sep 2017, 9:21 pm

...this is the hottest thread in this forum...
Just a bike & a place to ride.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Sun 17 Sep 2017, 8:00 pm

GreenAlias wrote:I have forgotten exactly who they were and it's possible that they're no longer here anymore either. They all reported a similar story - that is, they made a post on the site that incurred the wrath of the owner - who sent them a blistering email/PM and banned them. It seems that (at the time) the BNA website was dependent on sponsorship advertising for survival and the BV forumites had made an unflattering remark about one of the sponsor's products.

It is said that there are three versions of any dispute:
Yours;
The other sides; and
The truth which may lie somewhere in the middle.

Now after a BV member who I knew personally was banned I wrote to the site owner suggesting that his action might have been a bit harsh.

His version was:
The banned person person had posted complaining that a product that he had purchased was defective/not fit for purpose and the Australian Agent/Importer ( who happened to be an advertiser on the forums) would not entertain his warranty claim or assist with the repair of the item.

BNA owner advised me that the BV member had imported the item himself as an online purchase and and as the advertiser did not have any financial interest in the purchase they naturally were not interested in coming to the party for any warranty claim.

This would be similar to someone obtaining a "grey import" motor vehicle then going to the Australian importers for that make of vehicle and lodging a warranty claim!

Mike

weg

Postby weg » Wed 20 Sep 2017, 4:35 pm

Mike.Ayling wrote:(2)There is no "their". The site is privately owned and operated by a single individual who appoints his own mods.

Quite so. While that should give him control over their decisions, we're left to ponder that perhaps he agrees with them.

Mike.Ayling

Postby Mike.Ayling » Thu 21 Sep 2017, 8:50 am

weg wrote:
Mike.Ayling wrote:(2)There is no "their". The site is privately owned and operated by a single individual who appoints his own mods.

Quite so. While that should give him control over their decisions, we're left to ponder that perhaps he agrees with them.

Weg

The site owner whose sign on is AUbicycles has mentioned on several occasions that he is trying to run a family friendly forum.

So why don't you send him a pm explaining your experience on the forum.

Best result you will get an apology and some bums may be kicked or;

Alternatively your opinion of the forum will be reinforced.

Cheers

Mike

Return to “Off topic”