Why are the Forums slowing down?

Discussion not related to cycling.

What do believe is the reason why the Forums are slowing down?

Other websites cater for our needs in a better way
12%
Too many arguments - not cheerful enough
22%
More people using handheld devices that are difficult to type on
11%
The change from BV to BN - BV not listening to its members
8%
Short attention spans - inability to stay on topic
4%
We are too small a portion of the overall cycling community
7%
Drop in quality - too many flippant, irrelevant responses
11%
Any other reason
26%

Total votes: 85

hamishm

Re: Why are the Forums slowing down?

Postby hamishm » Wed 16 Aug 2017, 5:13 pm

I had an ancient bookmark to bv.com.au which 404d. I thought it was game over man. Fortunately not just yet.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 6:12 pm

Has anyone found a mention or link to the forum on the new site?

weg

Postby weg » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 7:43 pm

baudman wrote:Has anyone found a mention or link to the forum on the new site?

Only on the desktop. It's under 'The Community' down, down the bottom of the home page.

Can't find a search box anywhere though. Will make it slow to find anything.

jvb

Postby jvb » Sat 19 Aug 2017, 1:14 am

baudman wrote:Has anyone found a mention or link to the forum on the new site?

I think it was always at the bottom of the page. Even on the old web site.
There should be a search function on the new page, maybe they forgot ;)

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sat 19 Aug 2017, 10:34 am

We should be pleased to see that the Forums have been included in the new web page. We could take this as a positive sign that BN are planning on keeping them. This is good news. :D

The original "friends & influence" thread started in April 2010 and this "slowing down" thread started in 2012. Since that time there has been a big evolution in smart phones and a consequent increase in their use for accessing the internet. The new phones have bigger screens & better software and they can use the forums without too much difficulty. Admittedly, typing is not as easy as with a real keyboard but it can be done if the user cares enough to make the effort.

The issue now is not whether or not the forums will be taken away but rather whether or not the cycling community will use them. Those of us who are still here are the fully dedicated ones who will continue no matter what. We need to think about what can be done to encourage greater participation.

victor

Postby victor » Sat 19 Aug 2017, 7:12 pm

As I mentioned before, one thing that would cause greater participation is upgrading the forum software. This forum is still running on forum technology that's at least 20 years out of date, while forums running on modern forum technology have far more features (e.g. embedding of Youtube videos and Twitter tweets, to name just 2 features) *and* they're easier to use.
This probably won't occur, though, because I don't think this forum is one of BN's big priorities.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Sun 20 Aug 2017, 7:30 am

victor wrote: ..... one thing that would cause greater participation is upgrading the forum software .....................

YES, definitely!

victor wrote: ................. This probably won't occur, though, because I don't think this forum is one of BN's big priorities.

It never was. I was surprised to see it saved. However, now that we still have it (in whatever form and/or with whatever software) we should try to find some way of drawing traffic to it. Perhaps those of us here could make posts on the BN Facebook page linking to the Forum??

biftek

Postby biftek » Tue 05 Sep 2017, 11:23 am

victor wrote:As I mentioned before, one thing that would cause greater participation is upgrading the forum software. This forum is still running on forum technology that's at least 20 years out of date, while forums running on modern forum technology have far more features (e.g. embedding of Youtube videos and Twitter tweets, to name just 2 features) *and* they're easier to use.
This probably won't occur, though, because I don't think this forum is one of BN's big priorities.

As a forum operator ,embedding of Youtube videos and Twitter tweets while it is a perk it's not a real big one , the biggest problems with forums is that We exist in a world with reddit,Facebook and Instagram now, and there is a whole new wave of online users who have completely different posting habits. There are lots of people on the internet now who have never used a full-size keyboard. They've only ever used virtual keyboards on their mobile devices. Expecting these people to join a long-form-content discussion on a forum and produce a quality post of a few hundred words detailing their position on something.. is pretty unrealistic.

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 05 Sep 2017, 3:02 pm

Just a bike & a place to ride.

victor

Postby victor » Wed 06 Sep 2017, 7:00 am

biftek wrote:
victor wrote:As I mentioned before, one thing that would cause greater participation is upgrading the forum software. This forum is still running on forum technology that's at least 20 years out of date, while forums running on modern forum technology have far more features (e.g. embedding of Youtube videos and Twitter tweets, to name just 2 features) *and* they're easier to use.

As a forum operator ,embedding of Youtube videos and Twitter tweets while it is a perk it's not a real big one , the biggest problems with forums is that We exist in a world with reddit,Facebook and Instagram now, and there is a whole new wave of online users who have completely different posting habits. There are lots of people on the internet now who have never used a full-size keyboard. They've only ever used virtual keyboards on their mobile devices. Expecting these people to join a long-form-content discussion on a forum and produce a quality post of a few hundred words detailing their position on something.. is pretty unrealistic.

Cycle Chat is still very active, and shows no signs of slowing down. I think part of that is the modern forum software, which among other things includes a mobile-friendly version of the site. I used it during my recent Alps trip overseas, and found it very easy to use. As for my example of embedding objects, that was just an example. The forum software that BN uses is really primitive, and is lacking more than just a few more embedding options.

GreenAlias

Postby GreenAlias » Thu 07 Sep 2017, 8:51 pm

biftek wrote: ............... Expecting these people to join a long-form-content discussion on a forum and produce a quality post of a few hundred words detailing their position on something ........ is pretty unrealistic.

Sad but true :cry:

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Fri 08 Sep 2017, 5:17 pm

GreenAlias wrote:
biftek wrote: ............... Expecting these people to join a long-form-content discussion on a forum and produce a quality post of a few hundred words detailing their position on something ........ is pretty unrealistic.

Sad but true :cry:

I'm feeling lot like a dinosaur about now! :?
Trikester
Alan

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Mon 11 Sep 2017, 9:11 am

victor wrote:Cycle Chat is still very active, and shows no signs of slowing down. I think part of that is the modern forum software, which among other things includes a mobile-friendly version of the site. I used it during my recent Alps trip overseas, and found it very easy to use. As for my example of embedding objects, that was just an example. The forum software that BN uses is really primitive, and is lacking more than just a few more embedding options.

Yup, this forum could easily pick up and move to reddit with the use of automod created daily and weekly threads to keep content cycling around common topics easily enough.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

weg

Postby weg » Thu 14 Sep 2017, 1:25 pm

HughieP wrote:Hmmmm, so I have managed to get the forums up and working again. Are the individual policy and campaigns pages still available as well? I couldn't find the BN page for Footscray Rd, just a generic campaigns page.

It's all gone. No health reports, campaigns, history etc before July 17. It's like a Cultural Revolution or Trumping cleansing of EPA data and the programs of your predecessor. Nothing; a data free zone of enormous photos and graphics. Still no search function, even on the computer, so you have to delve into each section looking for data. Absolutely astonishing. I have been told that it still exists but the phone person can't access it either and is going to find out.

weg

Postby weg » Thu 14 Sep 2017, 2:20 pm

weg wrote:
HughieP wrote:Hmmmm, so I have managed to get the forums up and working again. Are the individual policy and campaigns pages still available as well? I couldn't find the BN page for Footscray Rd, just a generic campaigns page.

It's all gone. No health reports, campaigns, history etc before July 17. It's like a Cultural Revolution or Trumping cleansing of EPA data and the programs of your predecessor. Nothing; a data free zone of enormous photos and graphics. Still no search function, even on the computer, so you have to delve into each section looking for data. Absolutely astonishing. I have been told that it still exists but the phone person can't access it either and is going to find out.

He has called back. None of the old data pages will be available on the new website. He did offer to forward anything specific. So more than a decade of data is, for all practical purposes, lost.

And when designing the new site, they found so few people using the search function that they didn't bother including one. :roll:

I think there's a case to be made, in the case of both CA and BN, that membership organisations with public funding should make their information available. As if they would give a damn.

Return to “Off topic”