Why are the Forums slowing down?

Discussion not related to cycling.

What do believe is the reason why the Forums are slowing down?

Other websites cater for our needs in a better way
12%
Too many arguments - not cheerful enough
22%
More people using handheld devices that are difficult to type on
11%
The change from BV to BN - BV not listening to its members
8%
Short attention spans - inability to stay on topic
4%
We are too small a portion of the overall cycling community
7%
Drop in quality - too many flippant, irrelevant responses
11%
Any other reason
26%

Total votes: 85

GreenAlias

Why are the Forums slowing down?

Postby GreenAlias » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 3:04 pm

In a previous thread we analysed the facts & figures of our posting habits and observed that activity on the Forums has slowed significantly. The purpose of this poll is to solicit discussion as to the reasons why that has happened.

barefoot

Re: Why are the Forums slowing down?

Postby barefoot » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 3:59 pm

I think some key members - some quite prolific posters - have stopped coming here. So their direct contributions, and the discussions they stimulated, have disappeared.

There has been some personality clashes that have led to a few of these departures. That's bound to happen in any social group, especially in one where - let's face it - we spend so much time together. It gets a bit cliquey and a bit political. I never know the details, but I'm always wary of who isn't talking to who... and there's always somebody not talking to somebody.

There's also the fact that many of the good arguments - I mean discussions - have been had now. We've all dug in and firmed our positions on h*lm*ts, copenhagen lanes, RLJs, flats and drops, backpacks and panniers, religious education in schools... there's no new material to discuss. Any further debate is just ranting the same rants, so the discussion doesn't go far.

Really, we just need something NEW to argue about.

tim

Gyoza

Postby Gyoza » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 5:28 pm

That's a good point about not having something new to discuss and it got me thinking.

There is very little/no talk of professional cycling news and events in this forum. Is it because:
- those of us interested do their online discussion of this elsewhere?
- forumers here are interested in riding, not watching riding?
- we watch it but have no interest in discussing it onine?

The Australian Championships yesterday is a great example. What a bloody awesome day out and huge race it was, but to date there are 2 posts about it.

The other forums I use are all (other) professional sports related, so obviously no matter how much personalities clash or people come and go there is always new things happening to discuss.

victor

Postby victor » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 5:38 pm

I'll take Gyoza's bullet point #2 :D Just put me on a moving bike, and I'm happy. As for the reason for the slowing down, perhaps it's because all the regular forumites are getting older and slower? :P Seriously, though, I agree with Tim: all the major issues have been discussed numerous times, and so the flow of posts on these has slowed down, only kept going by the regular new input from new forumites who aren't always aware of the previous discussions on these topics, because using our Search facility is a bit tedious at times.

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 6:46 pm

I tend to be a responder rather than an initiator in virtually all forms of conversation, both here and in "proper" face to face groups, so any reduction in my contributions (I haven't closely looked at the numbers) is due to there being fewer discussions for me to become involved in. Vicious circle.

Like Victor, I also subscribe to Gyoza's second point; I'm not really a spectator of any sport, even ones I am passionate about participating in. I'm simply not interested enough to take any particularly analytical viewpoint; I'd much rather be out doing it myself.
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:14 pm

the forums are destined to die , seen many forums go down this path they slowly twindle down to a twinkle of posts before people start talking to themselves

personalities clashes are a main cause , there is a lot of elitist attitude floating around the joint

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:40 pm

new job, more responsibility. No time during work hours. What mental-break time I get at work, I now go for a walk rather surf the internet.

iphones are not bnv forums friendly with bad eyesight - even when enlarging text....and I have fat fingers to type on phones.

As Tim said: same shite different threads.
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:41 pm

biftek wrote:personalities clashes are a main cause , there is a lot of elitist attitude floating around the joint

you just say that cause you think you are better than everyone else :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :P :P :P :D :D :D
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

squeazasis

Postby squeazasis » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:47 pm

I hadn't known it was slowing down.... I'm happy with it the way it is :) But I guess one option if people want more discussion, could be to scroll through pages such as cycling discussion or off topic and see whether there are any old topics that interest them that they missed contributing to, or if they have further thoughts on the topic :wink: Quite a variety of topics sitting there!

People do (sometimes, some people) hold back from submitting posts that might easily be misinterpreted or that could (or almost definitely would) lead to nastiness between members, but that's the internet for you.... not much that can be done about that :)

biftek

Postby biftek » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:50 pm

wagger wrote:
biftek wrote:personalities clashes are a main cause , there is a lot of elitist attitude floating around the joint

you just say that cause you think you are better than everyone else :wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :P :P :P :D :D :D

I don't have a superiority complex. I'm just better than all of you lol

squeazasis

Postby squeazasis » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 7:52 pm

biftek wrote:the forums are destined to die , seen many forums go down this path they slowly twindle down to a twinkle of posts before people start talking to themselves

personalities clashes are a main cause , there is a lot of elitist attitude floating around the joint

Agreed.... some discussions related to cycling have that flavour. Also, I suspect sometimes (in any topic) the responses are based on who they are responding to, rather than just based on what the person has said in that instance.... but perhaps no more so than in any forum (could be better than most forums for all I know!)

matagi

Postby matagi » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:10 pm

I joined these forums when I signed up to do the 2006 GVBR and they were certainly different then.

For a start, there was more discussion in the GVBR sub-forum (where I initially spent most of my time).

A large number of the more colourful characters seem to have moved on and discussion is certainly less interesting than it used to be. I know my own contributions have considerably reduced in number (I used to be in the top 25 of posters, although I wouldn't class myself as colourful or interesting) Why is this so? Well, to be honest, I have no interest in speculating on cause or motorist-bashing in the plethora of "rider down" threads that seem to crop up these days. To me this place is now less tolerant, there is more petty sniping and quite frankly, most of the topics don't interest me. Interestingly, I have gone back to look at some of the 2006 topics in Cycling Discussion, and they aren't that different from today. So I can only attribute the change to a change in the type of posters that now populate these forums.

So why am I still here? A bit of nostalgia I guess, but my interest is definitely waning.

Heather

Postby Heather » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:31 pm

matagi wrote:I joined these forums when I signed up to do the 2006 GVBR and they were certainly different then.

For a start, there was more discussion in the GVBR sub-forum (where I initially spent most of my time).

A large number of the more colourful characters seem to have moved on and discussion is certainly less interesting than it used to be.
+1. I joined before 2006 GVBR as well. Still see a few of those colourful characters from time to time :lol: :lol:
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Weeeeeee

Postby Weeeeeee » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:41 pm

anchovies :mrgreen:
It just takes 1 idiot...

squeazasis

Postby squeazasis » Mon 09 Jan 2012, 8:54 pm

Re topics not interesting people.... I'll have to be honest and say that the jokes/funny pics threads aren't my #1 interest OR something that I feel I can make valuable contributions to....
...although I did wish I had a camera when in Geelong, around the time of the end on TdF, I saw a man pedalling up a hill on a bike which looked about the right size for a 5yo (no exaggeration!) Presumably he was doing it for some kind of challenge or other (although he didn't seem to have any friends within sight), because I guessed it would have been quicker for him to walk!

Return to “Off topic”