High Fidelity - music musings

Discussion not related to cycling.
velocipede

High Fidelity - music musings

Postby velocipede » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 10:09 am

In terms of accessibility to formats I cannot think of a better time in my life to be a recorded music lover - high resolution music files, vinyl, and the humble cd all offer access to an astonishing variety of contemporary music as well as a huge back catalogue. Everything is here and now.

I do miss the rush of finally having in my hands a long sought after anticipated gate fold cover copy of the Velvet Underground and Nico; or coming across a mother lode of Nigerian pressed Highlife records in a $2 bin in Wellington New Zealand. Then getting home to listen and go deep into the music.

Thing change so hence this thread; may be you want to share a desert island disc, or a new discovery, an overlooked groove?

I'm a big fan of Mose Allison he swings , he makes me laugh, he's intelligent and provocative now in his eighties he has just released Way of the World - a mixture of old and new with a marvelous backing band. To get a taste of Mose check out "My Brain"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VCFzj57sQYs

Last edited by velocipede on Sun 31 Oct 2010, 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.

roshea
Volunteer Moderator

Re: High Fidelity - music musings

Postby roshea » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 12:22 pm

:D

I took a detour yesterday and found something I haven't listened to in years - William S. Burroughs' musings backed by jazz/funk/hiphop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElD7uOqrixQ

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s0u3ZeDb60I
Office use only.

velocipede

Postby velocipede » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 12:40 pm

:lol: :lol: :lol:

fattima

Postby fattima » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 1:21 pm

Ohhh great thread.

One album I keep coming back to over the years is The The "Infected".
Some of the production dates it a bit, but I still think it a great album.

When I lived in London is 1990 I can remember walking often thinking of the song Heartland and how Matt Johnson just nailed the feeling of the place.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dEfIpMnZFFs

I'm sure I'll have others to add here :D
King of NAF.

victor

Postby victor » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 3:10 pm

I'm a big fan of Hope Sandoval - her angelic voice perfectly complemented by the subtle, relaxing music of Dave Roback. Here's a few samples :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-XRnW4YuP4
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ldCtRxALvyY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W6euSsP_PCA

When my Hope Sandoval CDs stop playing, I'll just go to the nearest music store and replace them.

The Duckmeister

Postby The Duckmeister » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 7:21 pm

I love my '70s rock, especially the likes of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, etc. Although the '70s was far from Clapton's best; his earlier stuff ('65-'71) & '90s onwards is far bettter.

I think the best album from the period is Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti". There is a far greater diversity of influences & styles on that one double-disc album than many bands can muster over their entire career.

Some people claim the sound of CDs is too sterile, but I think the clarity offered by the digital technology really allows the listener to get right into it & either pick out individual parts or just blend into the whole sonic experience.
Just ride the bloody thing and enjoy yourself!

Atom Ant

Postby Atom Ant » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 9:08 pm

The Duckmeister wrote:Although the '70s was far from Clapton's best; his earlier stuff ('65-'71) & '90s onwards is far better.

Such a long period wasted. For me "From the cradle" marks his return.
Up and at 'em

velocipede

Postby velocipede » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 9:12 pm

The Duckmeister wrote:I love my '70s rock, especially the lik[url]es of Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Pink Floyd, Eric Clapton, etc. Although the '70s was far from Clapton's best; his earlier stuff ('65-'71) & '90s onwards is far bettter.

I think the best album from the period is Led Zeppelin's "Physical Graffiti". There is[/url] a far greater diversity of influences & styles on that one double-disc album than many bands can muster over their entire career.

Some people claim the sound of CDs is too sterile, but I think the clarity offered by the digital technology really allows the listener to get right into it & either pick out individual parts or just blend into the whole sonic experience.

:lol: Ducky you will be glad to know I can appreciate Zep in way I couldn't at the time Physical Graffiti came out - Kashmir is a great track. It was the blind leading the blind as me and few mates fumbled our way towards punk rock seeking not only a reaction from adults but from our peers (right pretentious little gits we were). I listened to this a lot in 1975 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zpxMr6J3UHM. I still like it for an energizing romp around the lounge with hindsight though it's straight forward boogie.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Sun 31 Oct 2010, 9:49 pm

Seeing The Social Network has got me busting out some Nine Inch Nails. Reznor is a talented lad.

*Beano*

Postby *Beano* » Mon 01 Nov 2010, 12:41 pm

Atom Ant wrote:
The Duckmeister wrote:Although the '70s was far from Clapton's best; his earlier stuff ('65-'71) & '90s onwards is far better.

Such a long period wasted. For me "From the cradle" marks his return.

He was a very lost man over this period. Ducky your music tastes almost mirror mine!

I used to love going to Au-Go-Go records and sifting through their collectable sections. My greatest find in their was an LP called "Hard to Believe" A KISS covers album with a very early Nirvana on one track. It was filed in the wrong section with a plain white cover and the title written in the corner. The bloke behind the counter was suprised he even had it (Nirvana were huge and KISS were seeing a mini resurgance) we bartered and I got it for what I thought was a bargain of $40. Alas, I moved out of home and left my record collection with my brother and it has since disappeared.

Great thread by the way!

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Mon 01 Nov 2010, 1:20 pm

fattima wrote:One album I keep coming back to over the years is The The "Infected".

When I lived in London is 1990 I can remember walking often thinking of the song Heartland and how Matt Johnson just nailed the feeling of the place.

For me, Infected didn’t resonate any where near the way Soul Mining (IMO one of the best 80’s albums) and later, Mind Bomb did. I remember at the time, thinking of it as a bit of a let-down; over-produced (in the worst possible 80’s synthesized kind of way) and pretty bleak - an uneasy mix. That said, I was a big Smiths fan at the time so I’ve got no right to criticize anyone for being too bleak :wink:. But you’re spot-on, Infected captured Britain’s depressed late-Thatcherite era really well.

Soul Mining's This is the Day and Uncertain Smile remain stand-outs....
velocified

Helgirl

Postby Helgirl » Mon 01 Nov 2010, 1:29 pm

baudman wrote:Seeing The Social Network has got me busting out some Nine Inch Nails. Reznor is a talented lad.

Have you heard his instrumental album Ghosts? that is a brilliant piece of work and the kids love it (frequently played in the car)

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Mon 01 Nov 2010, 1:34 pm

victor wrote:I'm a big fan of Hope Sandoval - her angelic voice perfectly complemented by the subtle, relaxing music of Dave Roback.

Oh yes, Hope Sandoval...I used to fantasize about her :wink: :mrgreen:

Fade into You, (from Hope/Dave’s Mazzy Star day’s) is sublime.
velocified

fattima

Postby fattima » Mon 01 Nov 2010, 3:31 pm

Magnus tG wrote:
fattima wrote:One album I keep coming back to over the years is The The "Infected".

For me, Infected didn’t resonate any where near the way Soul Mining (IMO one of the best 80’s albums) and later, Mind Bomb did. I remember at the time, thinking of it as a bit of a let-down; over-produced (in the worst possible 80’s synthesized kind of way) and pretty bleak - an uneasy mix. That said, I was a big Smiths fan at the time so I’ve got no right to criticize anyone for being too bleak :wink:. But you’re spot-on, Infected captured Britain’s depressed late-Thatcherite era really well.

Soul Mining's This is the Day and Uncertain Smile remain stand-outs....

Yeah I would agree Soul Mining is a better album. I think Infected just takes me back to a certain time and place in my life as only music can do.
King of NAF.

cleatus

Postby cleatus » Mon 01 Nov 2010, 3:35 pm

Here's a thread that is very relevant to my interests. :lol:
This has been getting a thrashing at the cleatus' shack over the last day or two. Seeing some of the remaining members collect their ARIA hall of fame award sent me to the archives.
Only got to see them live once and that was in the 80's. A long time from their 60's hey day.
Vale Gerry Humpries.

Return to “Off topic”