National Ride2School Day

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Dilettante

National Ride2School Day

Postby Dilettante » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 9:46 am

Counted over 70 bicycles and around ten scooters in the cage this morning at our little school in Elwood. Good result for a school with 150 students. The school opened early and put on a healthy breakfast. All went well.

Accompanied daughter (7) and son (just turned 6). The three km was his longest ride to date, and he managed bravely. Was very proud of him 8)

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 10:51 am

That's an extremely good turnout. Do you know what sort of numbers they get on a 'normal' day?

I'll be hoping our 2 yr old will be able to ride to primary school at some stage. I suppose it will depend upon where she goes, however.

slaw

Postby slaw » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 10:56 am

The day wasn't promoted a lot at our school but there looked like about 80 to 100 bikes. Normally about 20 for a school of around 500 with 50 or so grade 5s including my older girl away on camp. Younger daughter wants to ride every day this week which should be doable.

Dilettante

Postby Dilettante » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 11:01 am

baudman wrote:That's an extremely good turnout. Do you know what sort of numbers they get on a 'normal' day?

Usually less than 20. I'll watch with interest to see if that changes in any way.

Not a bad result at your daughters' school, slaw, despite lack of promotion.

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 3:38 pm

I rode. And I think one of the teachers rode. Thats two of us out of about 400. :(

Ahh well.. it IS Hawthorn

Murray

Postby Murray » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 10:02 pm

Percrime wrote:I rode. And I think one of the teachers rode. Thats two of us out of about 400. :(

Ahh well.. it IS Hawthorn
And last I heard your school was for years 11 and 12 only (unless you've moved). And from what I saw of the kids there when my elder boy did Y12, there wouldn't be too many willing to be seen dead within 100m of a pushbike of any sort. :)
Murray

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Wed 12 Mar 2008, 11:10 pm

Yeah thats right.

Sort of scarey to see so many hopelessly unfit people in one place. And thats just the staff :D

Dilettante

Postby Dilettante » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 9:18 am

Our school ended up with 95% participation. :shock:
Riding, scootering, skating, walking. Knew it was looking good, but didn't expect it to be that good.

jvb

Postby jvb » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 9:25 am

Our son was the only one who rode his bike to school yesterday.

slaw

Postby slaw » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 9:42 am

Dilettante wrote:Our school ended up with 95% participation. :shock:
Riding, scootering, skating, walking. Knew it was looking good, but didn't expect it to be that good.

Well done! I posted on another thread about a few of us running a car-free day at our former school and we got over 95% participation. We offered a brekkie and a school water bottle and balloons so there was good incentive.

Maybe next year, I might get more involved and help make a bigger day of it.

freckle

Postby freckle » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 9:49 am

With everyone at our school totally focused on this weekends fete, and because we didn't register until late, and because info pack didn't arrive until Tuesday we've postponed until next term. Despite restricted cycling/scootering policy it looks like school is happy to promote this as a one off and it will fit quite happily alongside their current "Walk to School Wednesday" program.

Murray

Postby Murray » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 11:18 am

freckle wrote:With everyone at our school totally focused on this weekends fete, and because we didn't register until late, and because info pack didn't arrive until Tuesday we've postponed until next term. Despite restricted cycling/scootering policy it looks like school is happy to promote this as a one off and it will fit quite happily alongside their current "Walk to School Wednesday" program.
Freckle, if the school policy has some "justifications" or "rationalisations" to back it (think you did mention some), you might be able to focus some attention on addressing those concerns for the day and thereby demonstrate that the concerns are manageable. It may help shift the policy if the justifications stated are the real reason and there's no hidden agenda. Good luck!
Murray

freckle

Postby freckle » Thu 13 Mar 2008, 1:03 pm

Murray wrote:
freckle wrote:With everyone at our school totally focused on this weekends fete, and because we didn't register until late, and because info pack didn't arrive until Tuesday we've postponed until next term. Despite restricted cycling/scootering policy it looks like school is happy to promote this as a one off and it will fit quite happily alongside their current "Walk to School Wednesday" program.
Freckle, if the school policy has some "justifications" or "rationalisations" to back it (think you did mention some), you might be able to focus some attention on addressing those concerns for the day and thereby demonstrate that the concerns are manageable. It may help shift the policy if the justifications stated are the real reason and there's no hidden agenda. Good luck!

Thanks Murray. You're right, there are justifications (lack of appropriate bike storage, protecting the school against claims in the case of bike damage due to substandard storage and competing funding priorities). It would be good to see them spelled out in the policy rather than putting people off side by limiting or banning cycling.
As suggested in one of the other threads, I'm going to try and shake a few trees and see how many Telstra employees fall out. If we can find enough we might be able to organise some improved bike storage through their family/friends grant scheme.

ghostgum

Postby ghostgum » Fri 14 Mar 2008, 11:24 am

On ride to school day, I rode with my son to school for the first and probably the last time. He did really well riding up the hill, only having to walk for less than 100metres. It's amazing how much better he climbs hills after I put his seat up 50mm.

It's probably the last ride to school for him because the day after we moved house. We are now close enough that it will be quicker to walk than to put on the helmet, get the bike out of the garage, ride 250m along the footpath dodging those walking to school, then lock up the bike and helmet. Riding along the road would be slower due to the stationary Urban Assault Vehicles waiting drop off children.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Re: National Ride2School Day 12 March 2008

Postby baudman » Tue 16 Mar 2010, 4:31 pm

*Bump*

This yr's is tomorrow.

Anyone doing anything?

Be on the lookout for two-wheeled kidlets.

Return to “Commuters discussion”