Beach Road - Morning Peak Hours

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
mham1156

Beach Road - Morning Peak Hours

Postby mham1156 » Sun 03 Dec 2017, 9:32 pm

Hi Guys,

I am a keen cyclist, I live near beach road and I am very happy that Beach Road has lanes allocated to cyclists on the weekend mornings.
However, from time to time, when I drive into the city in the morning, I can't understand why some, not all, cyclist insist on riding on the road, when there is an excellent bike track right next to the road. Particularly the section from Black Rock to Elwood.
I think the peak hour cyclist are being both selfish and irresponsibe riding on the road when the bike track is right there to be used.
I would propose that on weekdays, the road is left for cars from say 7am to 9am heading toward the city.
I would also like the weekend clearway on beach road extended to say 1pm both Sat & Sun.
This would be a win win for both cyclists and car drivers.
Safety is the main reason for my suggestion.

Happy and safe cycling.

victor

Re: Beach Road - Morning Peak Hours

Postby victor » Sun 03 Dec 2017, 9:48 pm

I'll assume you're not trolling, and give a cyclist's response. I lived in Parkdale for a few years, and have used that path many times, so I'm pretty familiar with it.

The reason a lot of cyclists avoid that so-called "bike track" (which is actually a shared path, and only grudgingly shared by pedestrians), is because it's anything but "excellent". It's too bumpy, has very poor sight-lines in places, and is crossed at numerous points by roads, where cyclists are forced to give way to motorists entering the roads (thanks to our stupid road rules).
So no, we're not being selfish and irresponsible for not using this poorly planned and unsuitable infrastructure, and furthermore, we pay for the roads and have as much right to use them as any motorists.

One more comment: it's not the cyclists holding you up in your car between 7 and 9am on weekdays: it's the other cars: they take up a hell of a lot more road space than bicycles. If you want less congestion, start pedaling...

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 7:33 am

From time to time, when I ride Beach Road, I can't understand why some, not all, drivers insist on driving on Beach Road, when there is an excellent million lane highway over on Nepean Highway. Particularly since it runs from Mount Martha all the way to the city.
I think the peak hour motorist is being both selfish and irresponsibe driving on Beach Road when the highway is right there to be used.
I would propose that on weekdays, the road is left for cyclists heading toward the city.
I would also like the weekend clearway on beach road extended to say 1pm both Sat & Sun.
This would be a win win for both cyclists and motorists.
Reaching new levels of softness!

JAC

Postby JAC » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:09 am

mham1156 wrote:Hi Guys,

I am a keen cyclist, I live near beach road and I am very happy that Beach Road has lanes allocated to cyclists on the weekend mornings.
However, from time to time, when I drive into the city in the morning, I can't understand why some, not all, cyclist insist on riding on the road, when there is an excellent bike track right next to the road. Particularly the section from Black Rock to Elwood.
I think the peak hour cyclist are being both selfish and irresponsibe riding on the road when the bike track is right there to be used.
I would propose that on weekdays, the road is left for cars from say 7am to 9am heading toward the city.
This would be a win win for both cyclists and car drivers.

Happy and safe cycling.

Ah, yes, if only the rules were optimized for you personally.
No bikes on the road when you want to be in your car. No cars in the way when you wish to be on your bike.

Good luck with that!
18/1000 sec from winning lemon tart - but was allowed to have one anyway!!

victor

Postby victor » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 8:32 am

Snuffy wrote:From time to time, when I ride Beach Road, I can't understand why some, not all, drivers insist on driving on Beach Road, when there is an excellent million lane highway over on Nepean Highway. Particularly since it runs from Mount Martha all the way to the city.
I think the peak hour motorist is being both selfish and irresponsibe driving on Beach Road when the highway is right there to be used.
I would propose that on weekdays, the road is left for cyclists heading toward the city.

I wish this forum had software advanced enough to support Like buttons.

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 9:47 am

Snuffy wrote:From time to time, when I ride Beach Road, I can't understand why some, not all, drivers insist on driving on Beach Road, when there is an excellent million lane highway over on Nepean Highway. Particularly since it runs from Mount Martha all the way to the city.

Not to mention the train line not far away.

fixie

Postby fixie » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 10:55 am

:D What Victor and Snuffy wrote. I could not have put it better. :D

To mham1156 may I say that as a keen cyclist you surely are well aware of the shortcomings of the shared path along Beach Road. It is not a bike track.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

bc

Postby bc » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 1:44 pm

:lol:

Marx

Postby Marx » Mon 04 Dec 2017, 4:30 pm

I ride the shared path during the week along Beach Rd & honk at the prams & peds to keep left.
It's the public service that I do, for free.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

mham1156

Postby mham1156 » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 8:59 am

In my original post I described the beach road bike track as excellent, I’ll concede that a better description would be majority excellent, in my opinion, most of the segments are excellent, ther’re a few segments that are annoying and would be better if improved, (eg Sandringham oval, end of South Rd, Dendy street, etc).
I’ll also concede that its shared path (with Pedestrian’s, prams, tourists, joggers) however at the times I mentioned, 7am to 9am, there are less of these users, other than daily joggers who thankfully do seem to better understand the convention of staying to the left. Its not perfect but its better than being in danger on the road.
On a positive, some sections of the track (Hampton & Brighton) are exclusively for cyclists (although I concede this rule is not always observed).
With regard to crossings, the bike track has no more crossings or intersections than the road, and in fact the section from Brighton Yatch club to Elwood has no crossings.
Although I maintain the main benefit of of using the bike track is primarily safety, I think an additional benefit is the clearer air, particularly along the the Hampton to Elwood sections.
Thanks snuffy for the suggestion of moving some or all cars to Nepean Highway, I too think a permanent lane reserved for cyclist would be great and I would vote for that change. However I think the chance of that happening is quite unlikely, therefore I will restrict my suggestions to changes that can be made by any individual and will result in an immediate improvement in safety.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 10:26 am

mham1156, I have to concede that on your limited riding experiences you are .... well .... conceding.
__________flow................___________

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 12:39 pm

I've used both the road & shared path along that 'Beach Rd' strip.
Including the "bicycles only" section, I would bet the likeliyhood of incident is far higher riding along the shared path than the road. Shared paths are a facility that's passed off as bicycle friendly when in truth it's just the scraps thrown out to keep the cycle lobby quiet. Put up some signs, paint some symbols on the ground & job's done.
At least out on the roads danger only comes at you from limited directions, especally when the traffic is moving, but out on shared paths everything goes.
Sure the simple solution to fix the hazzards out on shared paths is to 'slow down'. But it's not. You'll have to come to complete stops & hit the grass verges in a considerable amount of shared path user interactions. Ring your bell? Sure, but what does that give you? I bet if anything you'll have to jump on the anchors half of the time because of unexpected results from deploying your ding-a-ling.
And at the end oif the day, you still need to get out onto the roads to hook in & hook out of the shared paths anyway, so what difference does it make in the grand scheme of things? It's not like shared path routes go anywhere uninterupted.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

rat'n'bat

Postby rat'n'bat » Tue 05 Dec 2017, 2:03 pm

Long time commuter along that route – I started on the road, but quickly moved to the path where I’ve stayed (apart from 1 year at another job) for the past 8 years.
My biggest motivator taking me to the path was - the road wasn’t anywhere near as enjoyable (the scenery, the cleaner air etc) but particularly the lack of flow with the traffic. Each to their own – but I will never question whether someone should be riding on a bit of a road, I just question why you would want to ride in those conditions. But as I said, each to their own - YMMV

I’m fine with the path, it has its fun in the evening with a few more people out (generally tourists walking on the wrong side of the path after seeing where rich people keep their towels) but the 2 hours I spend on it each day are generally stress free. Certainly calmer than the GCT!!

One clarification though, the path through Hampton is a shared path, not a bike path. There is another walking (gravel) path closer to the beach, but the paved path closer to the road is definitely shared. The bike path going inbound doesn’t kick in until after the Baths

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 06 Dec 2017, 7:37 am

mham1156 wrote:Thanks snuffy for the suggestion of moving some or all cars to Nepean Highway, I too think a permanent lane reserved for cyclist would be great and I would vote for that change. However I think the chance of that happening is quite unlikely, therefore I will restrict my suggestions to changes that can be made by any individual and will result in an immediate improvement in safety.

You're an individual

Stop driving on Beach Road

Be the change.
Reaching new levels of softness!

commi

Postby commi » Wed 13 Dec 2017, 7:13 pm

Return to “Commuters discussion”