And then it hits home

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

And then it hits home

Postby baudman » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

My best friend through high school commutes from Hawthorn into the City, largely along the Main Yarra Trail. Not every day, but many. Has for about 15+ years, excepting a stint when she was in London, and 2 years in NYC. Her husband also regularly commutes on bike. They actually inspired me, initially.

He SMSed me yesterday. She'd been hit by a car whilst riding to work am Tues. She's in the Alfred where they've fused six of her vertebrae. Thankfully, no neurological damage. "She's OK".

I don't have any further details - I'm sure they're getting inundated with requests for info. She hasn't shared anything on bookface yet - I'll find out more when I visit her in the next few days (if she has any recollection).

Knowing the stats, and the real risks in life and likelihood of injury vs sedentary health issues etc etc... it still hits when it's someone you know and love. On my ride via the CBD this morning (an errand on my way to work) I felt a little more 'exposed'. Not fearful, but certainly not normal.

Stay safe people.

Heather

Re: And then it hits home

Postby Heather » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 8:51 pm

F*k. Just terrible news. Sorry to hear this :cry: :cry:
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

fixie

Postby fixie » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 9:57 pm

Terrible. I am lost for words. I do not think that cycling was one of the criteria when they were voting Melbourne a most liveable city. :x
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 9:59 pm

It certainly does make it hit home. And I know what you mean about feeling it the next time you ride.

Will you ride to visit her?

wagger

Postby wagger » Thu 17 Aug 2017, 11:04 pm

I Echo others sentiments. Puts life into perspective and reinforces how precious life is.

Stay safe Mr Baudman (and everyone else who rides), if nothing else but for your queen and two princesses who want you home each night.
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 8:41 am

I know the feeling.

My wife is connected through various circles to the gent mentioned here, so I think it's really struck home for her. This week, I've noticed a subtle increase in her asking me "Are you SURE you want to ride today? It's so wet and windy".

(She rides, but is unlikely to walk out into a storm like I am)
Reaching new levels of softness!

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 10:08 am

Fully concur, please look after yourself and those you love.

baudman

Postby baudman » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 6:15 pm

Thx peeps.

Canuck wrote:Will you ride to visit her?

I was thinking I may go and see her on Sunday, with the family. So that would = (an excuse to drive the new) car.

However, I'm giving plasma on Monday (a day off for me) so it may well be more convenient for me to ride.

weg

Postby weg » Fri 18 Aug 2017, 7:46 pm

Sorry to hear this bauds. All the best.

I wish the law would understand 'failing to give way' is only fair when it's bumpers and airbags, not people.

baudman

Postby baudman » Mon 28 Aug 2017, 3:05 pm

Just got back from visiting her.

She, as is common, has no recollection whatsoever. However, witnesses suggest the traffic was stopped, she was slowing but still rolling and a driver turning either collected her, or she ran into.

Her helmet bore the brunt of most of the impact, a few dents and one slight crack to the rear. On all appearances, it looked like a concussion with some unconsciousness. The ambos, as is their procedure, gave her the full spinal immobilisation for transport. And, alas as indicated above, her spine took the rest of the impact her helmet didn't. 3 ribs, 4 vertebrae cracked, one of which is 'burst', which isn't good. It's likely she hit the gutter.

Upon reaching the Alfred, concussion was still the suggestion but after x-rays they saw the severity. It's highly likely if she hadn't been immobilised the 'burst' vertebra would have damaged her spinal column.

So, she now has a nice zipper from her neck to half way down her back, and the x-ray looks like something from Terminator 2. That'll be there forever - holding 6 vertebrae immobile. She's more flexible than I thought she'd be, and already coming off some of the drug dosages. The staples from her neck will likely come out Friday.

And yes, she has full intention of getting back on the bike to commute, although she asked me if I thought an orange safety flag was too much. I don't.

Helen

Postby Helen » Tue 29 Aug 2017, 9:12 am

I know this is less important in the scheme of things but will the driver suffer any CONSEQUENCES? Do they even realise what they've done? :evil:
"The revolution will not be motorised"

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 29 Aug 2017, 12:17 pm

let's hope she makes a full recovery and is back to normal life soon.

she was on main yarra trail so has obviously come off there and are you saying was at an intersection and proceeded through with a car opposite turning right in front of her? Or was she left of vehicles and car turned left in front of her path? Might be something for us all to take on board as precaution. As we know fault is less important in terms of the injuries we cop so what can we learn from this?
__________flow................___________

baudman

Postby baudman » Tue 29 Aug 2017, 5:23 pm

Helen wrote:I know this is less important in the scheme of things but will the driver suffer any CONSEQUENCES? Do they even realise what they've done? :evil:

Fined with not giving way.

Will receive a bill for replacement helmet, bike components etc once they get around to it.

mtb101 wrote:she was on main yarra trail so has obviously come off there and are you saying was at an intersection and proceeded through with a car opposite turning right in front of her? Or was she left of vehicles and car turned left in front of her path? Might be something for us all to take on board as precaution. As we know fault is less important in terms of the injuries we cop so what can we learn from this?

She was in an on-road bike lane for the <2km trip from home to the MYT. Car traffic stopped, witnesses report she was slowing and yes car turned in front (or through?) her. My take on it was a residential side-road, not an arterial/signalled intersection. And yes, I'm certainly riding more cautiously with respect to potential car movements and (un)predictability.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed 30 Aug 2017, 10:29 am

I'd contact Bike Network for some legal advice - may be able to recoup some extra costs, medical, rehab etc.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Wed 30 Aug 2017, 11:07 am

So 'Left Cross' :cry: and of course cyclist does the right thing staying in bike lane yet looking at their defensive suggestion below, you'd move out to establish visibility with turning vehicles. farkin hell .... you have to think like a mutant to survive this car centric environment.

__________flow................___________

Return to “Commuters discussion”