Mullum Mullum Creek path new bridges?

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Marx

Mullum Mullum Creek path new bridges?

Postby Marx » Mon 03 Jul 2017, 9:33 am

Hi all, wondering if anyone has the latest on the new bridges going up along the Mullum Mullum creek to complete the creek path linking the Yarra trail in the north to the Eastlink path near Ringwood?

Last couple of times I've been out that way I used the detour on Park Rd to connect EastLink & Koonung paths going north to the existing Mullum Mullum crk path.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

cyclotaur

Re: Mullum Mullum Creek path new bridges?

Postby cyclotaur » Mon 03 Jul 2017, 9:13 pm

I was through there a week or so back and that section (Heads Rd to Park Rd) was still closed, but I believe it should be open 'soon' as they've been working in there for awhile now.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Marx

Postby Marx » Tue 04 Jul 2017, 2:40 pm

Oh OK. Looking forward to seeing it done soon.
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/media ... 20plan.pdf

2cvmad

Postby 2cvmad » Tue 04 Jul 2017, 8:21 pm

On a slightly different issue, the bridge over the Mullum Mullum at Glen Cairn Ave Ringwood has been replaced. See http://www.maroondah.vic.gov.au/7391.aspx

The decking looks to be a non slip surface similar to the section of surface near quarry rd.

Ian

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Tue 04 Jul 2017, 11:31 pm

A lot of the "new" work on the Mullum Mullum Trail north of Park Road may be reinstatement after the Donvale Sewerage Project.
It's been a mess out there for months, with heavy equipment and construction personnel adjacent to the trail.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 05 Jul 2017, 10:11 am

cyclotaur wrote:I was through there a week or so back and that section (Heads Rd to Park Rd) was still closed, but I believe it should be open 'soon' as they've been working in there for awhile now.

They've been working on that whole path for a decade now.

Is "soon" measured relative to that? :lol:
Reaching new levels of softness!

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed 05 Jul 2017, 11:25 am

Snuffy wrote:
cyclotaur wrote:I was through there a week or so back and that section (Heads Rd to Park Rd) was still closed, but I believe it should be open 'soon' as they've been working in there for awhile now.

Cynics !! :lol: :lol:
'Soon' = 'in my lifetime...' - you know, like Doncaster rail, Airport Rail Link etc :roll:
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 05 Jul 2017, 11:43 am

cyclotaur wrote:
Snuffy wrote:

Cynics !! :lol: :lol:
'Soon' = 'in my lifetime...' - you know, like Doncaster rail, Airport Rail Link etc :roll:

I shouldn't complain too much.... I've now ALMOST got a bike path from my place in Ringwood all the way to Box Hill.....

Two years after I moved out of Ringwood

:lol:
Reaching new levels of softness!

fixie

Postby fixie » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 2:13 pm

Has there been any progress on this? Anybody been out there recently?
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

victor

Postby victor » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 3:21 pm

fixie wrote:Has there been any progress on this? Anybody been out there recently?

I take it you're referring to the missing link between Heads Rd and Park Rd, going somewhere past Whitefriars College?

Some time near the start of this year I walked the section up to Heads Rd (I live nearby), and noticed construction work at that point, but I haven't been up there since. Perhaps on the weekend I'll go and have a look (my previous several weekends have been occupied by that very long trip report that I recently posted in the recreational rides thread).

fixie

Postby fixie » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 5:47 pm

Thanks Victor.

The bridge spans were being constructed off site to be ready for installation when the sewerage work was completed. As far as I am unreliably informed, the pipe work is done. Of course there is a fair length of concrete pavement to cure, but the weather has not been too bad, so that part should not have been slowed down by the weather. BTW the original schedule only aimed for July- August completion. Only problem for me is that I cannot remember which July or which August. ;)

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Thu 24 Aug 2017, 11:25 pm

fixie wrote:Has there been any progress on this? Anybody been out there recently?

I rode through the unfinished section from north to south between Park Rd and Heads Rd just over a week ago. (Walked much of it too :lol: )

The completion works on the Mullum Mullum Trail have come to a standstill. I believe this is due to the ongoing Donvale Sewerage project. They don’t want to get in each other’s way, and there’s no point in building a bike path when the other project’s trucks and heavy equipment will just destroy it.

As I went through I took this photo of one of bridges placed across the creek for the final section of trail. This photo is facing east from the west side of the creek, half way along the unfinished section.

fixie

Postby fixie » Fri 25 Aug 2017, 8:45 am

Thanks for the Heads ;) up Toyopet.

Marx

Postby Marx » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 12:37 pm

Hi everyone, I can't find the latest on this project from my 'net searches.
I rode up to Park Rd on the Koonung creek path from the city last Saturday & saw the detour sign, I had 2nd thoughts of exploring progress on the Mullum Mullum creek from Eastlink tunnel but didn't have the time up my sleeve if things finished at a dead end (rode out from innercity west), so I followed the detour dropping down Park Rd to Mullum Mullum creek.

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Wed 22 Nov 2017, 9:39 pm

Return to “Commuters discussion”