Mullum Mullum Creek path new bridges?

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Marx

Re: Mullum Mullum Creek path new bridges?

Postby Marx » Thu 23 Nov 2017, 1:15 pm

Ta.
Just a bike & a place to ride.

BjL73

Postby BjL73 » Mon 07 May 2018, 12:00 pm

Looks like this has been delayed another couple of months. We now have an 'official' opening date though :)

https://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/mullu ... ail-update

Mullum Mullum Trail to be complete in July 2018

The final one kilometre section of the Mullum Mullum Trail, between Park Road and Heads Road, is in progress and is now anticipated to be completed in July 2018.

Approximately 700 metres of this section has been completed so far, including three of the four major bridge structures along the trail.

Once completed the Mullum Mullum Trail will link the Koonung Trail and the Main Yarra Trail, enabling a 42 kilometre off-road bicycle and walking circuit around Manningham.

The community is invited to celebrate the official opening on Sunday 16 September 2018. More details to follow that will include opportunities to ride or walk different sections of the 42 kilometre trail circuit around Manningham’s boundary.

victor

Postby victor » Mon 07 May 2018, 12:44 pm

On a related note: I think it's way past time that the MYT was resurfaced with bitumen along all its currently unsealed parts between Burke Rd and its eastern end. It's used by a large number of cyclists, but would be used by more if fully sealed along its entire length. I've used it a few times, but I've always had to give the bike a major cleaning afterwards, and using it regularly would wear out my drivetrain parts in a very short time.

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Mon 07 May 2018, 12:51 pm

BjL73 wrote:Looks like this has been delayed another couple of months. We now have an 'official' opening date though :)

https://www.manningham.vic.gov.au/mullu ... ail-update

Mullum Mullum Trail to be complete in July 2018

The final one kilometre section of the Mullum Mullum Trail, between Park Road and Heads Road, is in progress and is now anticipated to be completed in July 2018.

Approximately 700 metres of this section has been completed so far, including three of the four major bridge structures along the trail.

Once completed the Mullum Mullum Trail will link the Koonung Trail and the Main Yarra Trail, enabling a 42 kilometre off-road bicycle and walking circuit around Manningham.

The community is invited to celebrate the official opening on Sunday 16 September 2018. More details to follow that will include opportunities to ride or walk different sections of the 42 kilometre trail circuit around Manningham’s boundary.

Thanks for the update. Good to see some final progress, finally!

There's an old sign at the Park Road / Conos Court intersection which describes the works.
The photo below is the sign as it was last month (don't know if it's been updated in the meantime).

All they need to do is change one number on the sign, so that it reads "2018" instead of "2017" :lol:

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Mon 07 May 2018, 3:52 pm

victor wrote:On a related note: I think it's way past time that the MYT was resurfaced with bitumen along all its currently unsealed parts between Burke Rd and its eastern end.

When I head out that way it's on the MTB and linking in the single track along the way and enjoy the fact is isn't sealed.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Mon 07 May 2018, 5:32 pm

victor wrote:On a related note: I think it's way past time that the MYT was resurfaced with bitumen along all its currently unsealed parts between Burke Rd and its eastern end. It's used by a large number of cyclists, but would be used by more if fully sealed along its entire length. I've used it a few times, but I've always had to give the bike a major cleaning afterwards, and using it regularly would wear out my drivetrain parts in a very short time.

No. Just....no. I use it once or twice a week and love the variety of surfaces on a Koonung/MYT loop. It's a recreational route through semi rural areas close to the city. There's plenty of sealed paths around if you're afraid of getting your bike dirty.

And I haven't worn out my drivetrain riding about 50% gravel. If that bothers you you're riding the wrong bike and/or the wrong groupset (ie. too expensive).
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

ludlow

Postby ludlow » Mon 07 May 2018, 6:36 pm

Quite agree Victor.

victor

Postby victor » Mon 07 May 2018, 8:34 pm

cyclotaur wrote:
victor wrote:On a related note: I think it's way past time that the MYT was resurfaced with bitumen along all its currently unsealed parts between Burke Rd and its eastern end. It's used by a large number of cyclists, but would be used by more if fully sealed along its entire length. I've used it a few times, but I've always had to give the bike a major cleaning afterwards, and using it regularly would wear out my drivetrain parts in a very short time.

No. Just....no. I use it once or twice a week and love the variety of surfaces on a Koonung/MYT loop. It's a recreational route through semi rural areas close to the city. There's plenty of sealed paths around if you're afraid of getting your bike dirty.

And I haven't worn out my drivetrain riding about 50% gravel. If that bothers you you're riding the wrong bike and/or the wrong groupset (ie. too expensive).

Where did I say I was afraid of getting the bike dirty? Over the last 9.5 years, I've ridden my Vivente tourer (mostly used for commuting) over 115,000km, and got it dirty more times than I can count.
I only said it means a lot more time spent cleaning it. As for your last comment: that depends on the distance you do, obviously: the more distance, the more wear, especially on unsealed surfaces.
Anyway, each to his/her own.

bc

Postby bc » Tue 08 May 2018, 2:55 pm

victor wrote:On a related note: I think it's way past time that the MYT was resurfaced with bitumen along all its currently unsealed parts between Burke Rd and its eastern end.

Not sure where the "eastern end" is for you. This is my commute, starting at Deep Creek Reserve, through Tikalara Park, around Petty's Orchard, then Candlebark Park and onto what I think of as the MYT proper through Westerfold's Park. The sealed parts tend to get really lumpy as the trees grow, and there is so much of it I can't see the benefit vs cost. My bike always gets dirty, which is why it always wears mudguards in the hope of containing it, and generally has a quick hose down after a ride. It's also why I ride a CX for commuting - copes well with all the conditions I experience. Don't think it needs to change.

victor

Postby victor » Tue 08 May 2018, 3:20 pm

bc wrote:

Not sure where the "eastern end" is for you.

As far as I know, there's only 1 eastern end of the trail. It's mentioned here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Main_Yarra_Trail

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 08 May 2018, 4:28 pm

bc wrote:

Not sure where the "eastern end" is for you. This is my commute, starting at Deep Creek Reserve, through Tikalara Park, around Petty's Orchard, then Candlebark Park and onto what I think of as the MYT proper through Westerfold's Park. The sealed parts tend to get really lumpy as the trees grow, and there is so much of it I can't see the benefit vs cost. My bike always gets dirty, which is why it always wears mudguards in the hope of containing it, and generally has a quick hose down after a ride. It's also why I ride a CX for commuting - copes well with all the conditions I experience. Don't think it needs to change.
that's a good commute, yep the cx is the go with a sense of adventure on your commute, can you imagine putting in concrete paths, it would just kill the aesthetics of the area - the unsealed is nice and a bit unpredictable at times, and a great branch off into the single track.
__________flow................___________

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Tue 08 May 2018, 6:08 pm

^ This. Bit like sealing roads to attract motorists afraid of gravel. Leave it be, the worst thing would be to seal it so it becomes too popular. I rather like gravel and the squirrelly effect you get when when you're on the edge and the bike is moving around underneath you. ;) So what if there's a little dirt and mud?
I also think any attempt to seal the Yarra Flats section for example would get the locals in a great tizz as it would disturb the ambience of the area, its history and bucolic nature. Just look at the state of the road of the The Boulevard that roughly parallels the gravel track, the locals want it like that and resist strongly any attempt to fix it! I'd go to the barricades to defend the unsealed paths too. :x

victor

Postby victor » Tue 08 May 2018, 6:20 pm

I'll repeat what I said a few posts ago: each to his/her own. In other words, I was just expressing an opinion, and certainly didn't intend any offence to any of you.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Tue 08 May 2018, 8:38 pm

It's cool Victor, no offence taken. We're a broad church, all opinions welcome. :)

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Tue 08 May 2018, 9:57 pm

UJ1 wrote:It's cool Victor, no offence taken. We're a broad church, all opinions welcome. :)

Ditto here - Happy to agree to disagree.

I love the MYT as it is, it's my lazy 'go-to' loop ride (with the Koonung/Mullum) when I need recovery or to just chillax away from the traffic. ;)

As for cleaning bikes, that definitely is each to his own. I clean mine quite regularly on maybe the 5th Monday of the month.... :mrgreen:
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Return to “Commuters discussion”