Ride2Work Day

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Summernight

Re: Ride2Work Day

Postby Summernight » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:35 am

Dalai wrote:
baudman wrote:So, who's gonna do a breakfast crawl this year?
https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewe ... QrMsc1n0Pk

(I'll be serving up at one of them. Early start = an early finish, I guess eh?)

If people want a lot of food, I would recommend going to the Burnley Golf Course. As it is off the path and surrounded by very busy roads, there were barely any people there!

Hmmm... I'm very interested in possibly doing a free breakfast bike crawl around the Richmond/CBD area.

Apparently there will be a bike crawl starting from St Kilda townhall (?) at 7:15AM (arrive at 7:00AM) which will take in 9 breakfast spots and end at Port Melbourne at about 8:30 (you can then travel back to the St Kilda start point with them or head off by yourself to wherever you need to be).

I don't think I'll be doing that one, but I might do something similar.

The Bicycle Victoria spreadsheet of locations isn't that great. Has someone got a map with all the breakfast places marked out?
Last edited by Summernight on Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:36 am

baudman wrote:I've been getting WC emails, and last week I got mailed a pack (with BN membership discount offer for staff).

But, perhaps that's because I updated my details to say my change of workplace?

:lol:

I can't comprehend how R2W WC works in your current and former jobs....
Reaching new levels of softness!

blakey

Postby blakey » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 11:40 am

Summernight wrote:
baudman wrote:https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zHEyov59SCVo.kdQrMsc1n0Pk

Has someone got a map with all the breakfast places marked out?

...?

Everyone wants in on the tour de breakfast now. It's no challenge when BNA go and map it out for you. I doubt I'll bother trying to beat my 13 checkpoint record this time, focus is on a few points with excellent coffee/snax and low volume of freds this time.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:10 pm

Snuffy wrote:
baudman wrote:I've been getting WC emails, and last week I got mailed a pack (with BN membership discount offer for staff).

But, perhaps that's because I updated my details to say my change of workplace?

:lol:

I can't comprehend how R2W WC works in your current and former jobs....

Both do have employees who don't currently ride to work. This one - there's only one and it's a distance thing and he still does sometime.
The previous one... it varies from every day, to a few days a week, to almost never. 8)

So yes, it's still about engaging and prompting and encouraging. (Although, for this one, it's more about sorting out the breakfast festivities!)

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:22 pm

blakey wrote:
Summernight wrote:
baudman wrote:https://www.google.com/maps/d/u/0/viewer?mid=zHEyov59SCVo.kdQrMsc1n0Pk

Has someone got a map with all the breakfast places marked out?

...?

Everyone wants in on the tour de breakfast now. It's no challenge when BNA go and map it out for you. I doubt I'll bother trying to beat my 13 checkpoint record this time, focus is on a few points with excellent coffee/snax and low volume of freds this time.

Haha. I'm not going to attempt your 13 point record, I just wanted to see in a visual format instead of the written spreadsheet to work out distances and the closest ones to me. If the spreadsheet on BNV is all the locations then I can map it myself.

blakey

Postby blakey » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 12:27 pm

dude, there's a map link in the post you quoted!

atham

Postby atham » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:13 pm

With my commute from out East and running North to South in the morning, rather than into the CBD. There is limited opportunity for RTW Breakfasts. I have two that I could get to, but will be attending the the Maroondah City Council breakfast (being my Local CC), in the hope that I can have a chat to CC representatives about addressing some local infrastructure issues.
Shogun Samurai 1988
MASI CX 2013
CUBE Litening SHPC Race 2014

Helen

Postby Helen » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 2:22 pm

Barefoot, is it possible R2W has been emailing you but the emails have been going into the Junk/Spam folder or whatever your particular setup has, because it's a bulk mailer from an organisation? that happens a lot.

Since my first R2W a few years ago I'm up to nearly everyday commuting. Can't wait to see the joy on people's faces when they realise Shepherd's Bridge in Footscray is no longer (so much) a dice with death.

Not sure about the free breakfast aspect. I think it encourages people to go out the door without brekky which will lead to rubbery legs and feeling it's all too hard.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

barefoot

Postby barefoot » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 4:36 pm

Helen wrote:Barefoot, is it possible R2W has been emailing you but the emails have been going into the Junk/Spam folder or whatever your particular setup has, because it's a bulk mailer from an organisation? that happens a lot.

Not unless my work system has an additional invisible spam filter on the server that users don't get any control or override rights over.

Which is not as improbable as it should be.

There's no R2W email anywhere I can see it.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:26 pm

Unfortunately I've got no work to ride to at the moment so I'd be happy to volunteer in some capacity. Who do I contact for that?

Otherwise I will just head up the GC trail and grab whatever breakfasts are on offer. There's usually a big one put on at the Hawthorn velodrome.

Dalai

Postby Dalai » Tue 07 Oct 2014, 5:42 pm

There is nothing at Hawthorn velodrome again this year Stephen. Closest to GCT / MYT is the Burnley Golf Course which I rode to last year and was one of only a few people. Added bonus is you can get a free round of golf! :wink:

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:44 am

blakey wrote:dude, there's a map link in the post you quoted!

Well, so there is. And here I'd gone and inputted all the local points into my own map. Haha... Serves me right for not clicking on the link. Doh!

Although that map missed a few. :)

ian

Postby ian » Wed 08 Oct 2014, 12:24 pm

atham wrote:With my commute from out East and running North to South in the morning, rather than into the CBD. There is limited opportunity for RTW Breakfasts. I have two that I could get to, but will be attending the the Maroondah City Council breakfast (being my Local CC), in the hope that I can have a chat to CC representatives about addressing some local infrastructure issues.

I'll be there as your advisor/media relations officer/security backup/official food taster etc....

H.E. Parker Reserve - just happens to be right on my commute :D
Sanity. It's overrated.

www.iansgarage.com.au

mb27

Postby mb27 » Wed 08 Oct 2014, 8:32 pm

This reminds me when I was a PC tech across multiple floors. My record for morning teas on a Friday was 7 (usually sausage rolls and pies from dinkum pies). Might have to relive this moment through R2W breakies

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 08 Oct 2014, 9:54 pm

Might have to leave early and ride in the wrong direction if I want to go to any good ones... :?

Return to “Commuters discussion”