How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Matt1
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Matt1 » Fri 07 May 2021, 10:17 am

Looked chilly so wore a tonne of clothes to keep warm. Probably wasn't that cold in reality, given my hands did not get cold even with the hole that developed where the stitching failed in the so-called "winter gloves". Traffic levels have gone through the roof this week and today was no exception. I heard Friday was a popular day to work from home, perhaps these people are travelling somewhere else?
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

victor
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Sat 08 May 2021, 1:15 pm

After 3 weeks of working from home because of a persistent cough, it's finally gone, and I'm resuming my 320km / week commute next week (although it will no doubt be wet). However, commuting that much requires more than 1 bike, so one can be fixed/maintained while I use the other.

So on that note, it's "new bike day" next weekend! :mrgreen: I'll be picking up a new Trek Émonda SL6 Pro, with a slight wheelset upgrade, which I'm very much looking forward to. For 10 years, I've had either the 16kg Vivente touring bike or the 8.5kg Specialised Roubaix Expert SL4 for commuting, but shortly I'll have 2 road bikes to use for commuting (since I don't use the Vivente for commuting any more, I got fed up with its weight).

Regards,

--- Victor.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Sat 08 May 2021, 4:24 pm

Nice new bike!

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9660
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Canuck » Sat 08 May 2021, 5:36 pm

victor wrote:After 3 weeks of working from home because of a persistent cough, it's finally gone, and I'm resuming my 320km / week commute next week (although it will no doubt be wet). However, commuting that much requires more than 1 bike, so one can be fixed/maintained while I use the other.

So on that note, it's "new bike day" next weekend! :mrgreen: I'll be picking up a new Trek Émonda SL6 Pro, with a slight wheelset upgrade, which I'm very much looking forward to. For 10 years, I've had either the 16kg Vivente touring bike or the 8.5kg Specialised Roubaix Expert SL4 for commuting, but shortly I'll have 2 road bikes to use for commuting (since I don't use the Vivente for commuting any more, I got fed up with its weight).

Regards,

--- Victor.

Congratulations on the imminent new arrival to your family

victor
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Mon 10 May 2021, 8:18 am

Commuted by train today, as I needed to bring my work laptop, charger and phone back to work. I'd been working from home for 3.5 weeks, thanks to my employer's policy of "no presence at the workplace unless you're symptom-free", and a cough I got back then which kinda lingered. Back to cycling again from tomorrow, though.

victor
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Tue 11 May 2021, 6:40 am

I just did my first bicycle commute in almost 4 weeks, and naturally it rained just enough to get my bike filthy. :roll: It was good to be back on the bike, though, after working from home for several weeks. :)

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 11 May 2021, 9:54 am

Wet and grotty that's for sure. Better than stuck in traffic though and a little bit fun at times.

victor
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Wed 12 May 2021, 8:44 am

It's good to be back to bicycle commuting, but the ride home yesterday, although dry, was slightly hard work, as I had a headwind most of the way, which because of the length of my commute, added about 10 minutes. I'm hoping I don't get forced to work from home again soon, because the latest COVID-19 news is making me wonder whether more restrictions are pending. I'm counting the days until I pickup the new bike.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 12 May 2021, 9:58 am

On the old MTB today; stopped at the Convention Center for an AZ shot - in and out in 20m.
They offered me a free parking voucher :lol:
The rest of the commute to work was uneventful.

Matt1
Posts: 614
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Matt1 » Wed 12 May 2021, 4:45 pm

victor wrote:After 3 weeks of working from home because of a persistent cough, it's finally gone, and I'm resuming my 320km / week commute next week (although it will no doubt be wet). However, commuting that much requires more than 1 bike, so one can be fixed/maintained while I use the other.

So on that note, it's "new bike day" next weekend! :mrgreen: I'll be picking up a new Trek Émonda SL6 Pro, with a slight wheelset upgrade, which I'm very much looking forward to. For 10 years, I've had either the 16kg Vivente touring bike or the 8.5kg Specialised Roubaix Expert SL4 for commuting, but shortly I'll have 2 road bikes to use for commuting (since I don't use the Vivente for commuting any more, I got fed up with its weight).

Regards,

--- Victor.

Should be awesome. Weather looks like it should be improving next week too.

No bicycle commuting for myself lately but will hopefully not be too much longer before I get back out on something with less than four wheels.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

rgcrgc
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun 02 Nov 2008, 1:39 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby rgcrgc » Wed 12 May 2021, 10:45 pm

Had an, ultimately very amusing, run-in with a driver who nearly took me out last night, then got antsy when I called them out on it. Had the usual "all cyclists" diatribe through an open passenger window whilst I was riding along, minding my own business wondering what I might have for tea.

Fast forward to tonight on my ride home, when a roadie in full team gear blew through a ped crossing with peds actually doing actual crossing. There was no excuse, as the crossing was well illuminated and I was in front and obviously coming to a stop: it was clearly an "I'm training and not stopping for mere pedestrians" manoeuvre.

To be fair, life and limb were never endangered - but the optics were errm... less than ideal. Why am I bothered by this? I refer the honourable reader, who has made it this far, to the diatribe received in para 1.

Now I fully get that we shouldn't need to be, or even strive to be, "better than them" - but, Jiminy, can we please not do dumphuq stuff?
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

victor
Posts: 519
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Thu 13 May 2021, 6:28 am

rgcrgc wrote:Had an, ultimately very amusing, run-in with a driver who nearly took me out last night, then got antsy when I called them out on it. Had the usual "all cyclists" diatribe through an open passenger window whilst I was riding along, minding my own business wondering what I might have for tea.

Fast forward to tonight on my ride home, when a roadie in full team gear blew through a ped crossing with peds actually doing actual crossing. There was no excuse, as the crossing was well illuminated and I was in front and obviously coming to a stop: it was clearly an "I'm training and not stopping for mere pedestrians" manoeuvre.

To be fair, life and limb were never endangered - but the optics were errm... less than ideal. Why am I bothered by this? I refer the honourable reader, who has made it this far, to the diatribe received in para 1.

Now I fully get that we shouldn't need to be, or even strive to be, "better than them" - but, Jiminy, can we please not do dumphuq stuff?

I don't subscribe to the fallacy that the actions of one cyclist, some random person whom I've never met, somehow reflects badly on all of us. No offence intended. There are plenty of motorists out there doing dumb things also, but I don't hold all motorists responsible for these idiots.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 13 May 2021, 9:13 am

E-scooter flew past me on the MYT in Richmond. I matched his speed for a bit just to see how fast he was going. Nothing less than 45 kph.
I'm not in that much of a rush to get to work!
One of the guys that rides to our sister company (same building) got collected by a car in Port Melbourne (I think at the Ingles st underpass). Not sure what happened yet. He's in hospital for observations, grazes to is face and bruising. His fairly new bike has a busted fork, wheel and brifters (the ambulance dropped it off on the way to hospital).

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2068
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 13 May 2021, 2:19 pm


rgcrgc
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun 02 Nov 2008, 1:39 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby rgcrgc » Thu 13 May 2021, 7:30 pm

victor wrote:I don't subscribe to the fallacy that the actions of one cyclist, some random person whom I've never met, somehow reflects badly on all of us. No offence intended. There are plenty of motorists out there doing dumb things also, but I don't hold all motorists responsible for these idiots.


I take no offence, but i must respectfully disagree - it does. I wholeheartedly agree that ascribing the actions of one to the group is a fallacy, but unfortunately we cyclists are an easy target group.
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est


Return to “Commuters discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 4 guests

cron