How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Claude Cat

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 6:38 pm

Matt1 wrote:A beautiful morning for a ride.

A little fresh.
Much nicer on the way home. Warm, but not hot, light winds, perfect.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 10 Feb 2021, 8:40 pm

Nice day again. To school with my son and onwards to work; ride home was similar, but via the HCC crits in Kew to pick up the boy after his first ever race (he did really well too) and home again.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 10 Feb 2021, 8:50 pm

^ that's great, CC. He must be really enjoying it.

Here, perfect riding. It helped me to happily bookend a long and very busy day at work.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 11 Feb 2021, 9:48 am

I love riding in the summer mornings. Today's commute exemplified the quieter than usual traffic, agreeable temperature and absence of wind I enjoy around this time of year. Summer evenings also make for pleasant riding but I rarely commute at that time.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 12 Feb 2021, 8:53 pm

My commute was for an appt as opposed to work today. 29km all up, decent weather, and outside of what's soon to be my 5km radius.....

Given pool and sport is off, I foresee the Boy and I riding daily to parks.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 13 Feb 2021, 9:54 am

What a difference a day makes. Very quiet roads this morning. In other good news, I managed to find a chair on my commute in hard rubbish to replace the cracked one I am sitting on now. My shopping bag has a pair of straps which proved to be ideally located for strapping such items on. Bonus!
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 13 Feb 2021, 1:37 pm

Matt1 wrote:What a difference a day makes. Very quiet roads this morning. In other good news, I managed to find a chair on my commute in hard rubbish to replace the cracked one I am sitting on now. My shopping bag has a pair of straps which proved to be ideally located for strapping such items on. Bonus!

You strapped a chair on to ride?
Pics or it didn’t happen.... :shock:

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 13 Feb 2021, 3:17 pm

No pics, but just a lightweight, plastic outdoor chair. Nothing too spectacular.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 13 Feb 2021, 5:30 pm

Matt1 wrote:No pics, but just a lightweight, plastic outdoor chair. Nothing too spectacular.

I was imagining something heavier :lol:

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Sun 14 Feb 2021, 12:33 am

So, there I was, whining about fitness levels, which got me to thinking about life, the universe, and bike commuting - specifically mine. And it quickly dawned on me that not only had the covid situation robbed* me of my fitness it had also robbed** me of my motivation to commute by bike. I realised I was making any and every excuse not to ride which, given I can put on weight by thinking about food, led to the inevitable blubber-fiend I now find myself to be.

Something had to give, or I would be a lardy-no-exercise-no-fitness-lump for EVAH! and in the end the thing that gave turned out to be my bank account 'cos I bought an electric bike.

My initial thinking was that I would supplement a couple of analogue commutes a week with 2 or 3 power-assisted ones to rebuild the fitness then slide back to more analogue riding. But then I rode the 'leccy bike and now I am a serious e-bike convert. The bike I bought is a proper, street-legal, pedelec beastie with a Shimano mid-drive motor where the assistance tops out at 25kmh. So on the flat I'm actually cruising around 27kmh with no assist but I'm getting a helping hand on the rises or into headwinds, which were exactly the situations that were putting me off my commutes.

And here's the thing that surprised me and made me that convert - Mr. Garmin says I am getting more-or-less the exact same amount of exercise as I was before. It's just now that when the le-puff, le-pants hit I know I have backup.

*well, actually, probably, really, truthfully, willingly given up on account of the fact I am a monumentally lazy pr|ck

**see *
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Mon 15 Feb 2021, 12:54 pm

Safe. No school run traffic this morning, which cuts out most of the hare-brained driving in my area. Not too much other traffic either, for that matter, although plenty of people walking around the shops. Legs are feeling strong on my rides, despite the lack of any decent rides for the last couple of weeks. If I attempted any riding at a more intense pace I might then realise how unfit I am. I don't change weight according to exercise participation but I have lost significant levels of fitness with the bushfire smoke and Covid-19 restrictions limiting my riding. It will be interesting to see if I can make any improvements if things change to a state where regular exercise becomes unrestricted. I fear I may be too old to regain anything I lose from here on in.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Wed 17 Feb 2021, 9:19 am

I love riding in cool of the summer mornings, it is guaranteed to lift my mood. Plenty of traffic around today, some school traffic has returned including a supervised crossing. Fingers crossed for a lockdown lifting tonight.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 17 Feb 2021, 1:06 pm

Looks like back on the bike to work tomorrow :)

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 11:20 am

Brilliant, beautiful weather, and favourable winds. Just too short a ride!!

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 18 Feb 2021, 1:13 pm

Canuck wrote:Looks like back on the bike to work tomorrow :)

Plenty riding to work on the MYT / GCT this morning.

Return to “Commuters discussion”