How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Claude Cat

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Sat 30 Jan 2021, 2:04 pm

Matt1 wrote:Very quiet roads this morning. I was expecting rain, since it was raining when I got out of bed, but it had cleared away by the time I hit the road. Mask wearing is becoming a thing of the past - I think only half the people in the supermarket were wearing them.

Did my usual Saturday morning ride and it was really nice; after breakfast, took the pub bike down to the local grocer and butcher, no masks to be seen anywhere.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Mon 01 Feb 2021, 7:50 am

A pleasantly cool morning greeted me for the commute this morning. I rode my hybrid and the legs felt fine after a long ride on the trike yesterday. That may have something to do with my commute being fairly short and only on flat roads.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 02 Feb 2021, 1:13 pm

Rain abated 20m before departure - roads quite damp until Hawthorn, but pretty dry after than.
Feels far more like autumn than summer. Increasing number of riders and vehicles on the roads, but still well below normal peaks.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 03 Feb 2021, 8:59 am

Nicer morning today.
Rode with son to school - he's got a training ride after school today, so the pace was more relaxed.
Dropped him off and continued to work, the trails are getting busier again, which is both good and bad.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 03 Feb 2021, 10:15 pm

Happy empty trails here 8-)

Mutual smile / wave to a runner I see fairly regularly. More peds than riders, but generally no crowding to speak of here.

My commute, lengthened by path rather than road, is now only 7ish km one way. Next couple days I'll have to add in walking the Boy plus my bike to his school drop off about 500m from home before heading off on bike.

Friday looking a bit wet.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 04 Feb 2021, 10:40 am

"picked" the boy up on the way home from work yesterday. Apparently 50 laps of the Hawthorn velodrome plus some efforts up the hills there.
The ride home from there was very slow :lol:

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 04 Feb 2021, 5:57 pm

Yesterday and today my backpack has been 6+kg. Not feeling very swift anyway, so the extra weight is adding a bit of extra training...

Muggy but nice ride home. Perfect riding this morning.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 04 Feb 2021, 8:10 pm

Canuck wrote:Yesterday and today my backpack has been 6+kg. Not feeling very swift anyway, so the extra weight is adding a bit of extra training...

I'm at the office 2 days a week and WFH 3.
The bugger about it is that my work laptop is rather large and heavy, I do have a laptop backpack which is okay, but it's not the light sporty backpack I take if it's just clothes and lunch.
At least I've organized 2 days in a row at work so there's only one to and from trip each week with the boat-anchor.

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Thu 04 Feb 2021, 9:15 pm

^This... but my current client is insisting on Tue/Thu in the office for me. Ergo 2x boat-anchor round trips a week. That coupled with some calorie restrictions to try and reduce some of my Covid Cuddliness makes for some le-puff-le-pant trips home*

*Well, that's my excuse and I'm sticking to it. It has nothing whatsoever to do with the fact I have the fitness levels of a nonagenarian. No siree Robert.
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Fri 05 Feb 2021, 9:33 am

More chaotic than expected. For some reason it felt like a Saturday as I left the house. Once I got down the road I soon realised it was still a weekday, with cars going every which way and doors being flung open with abandon. No near misses but a bit of a shock compared to the peace and quiet I was expecting. Roads were mostly dry and only a few light spots of rain. The radar showed a torrential downpour moving through the area but in the real world nothing like it was observed.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sat 06 Feb 2021, 12:13 am

Wrote a post earlier today but it got lost.

Bit of rain prior to the walk to school, then a warm but dry ride to work.

Same dog every day, same corner of the dog park, waiting and going nuts barking as I pass.

Backpack not getting much lighter. But I'm riding more, so I'm happy.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Sat 06 Feb 2021, 9:43 am

Claude Cat wrote:
Canuck wrote:Yesterday and today my backpack has been 6+kg. Not feeling very swift anyway, so the extra weight is adding a bit of extra training...

The bugger about it is that my work laptop is rather large and heavy, I do have a laptop backpack which is okay, but it's not the light sporty backpack I take if it's just clothes and lunch.
At least I've organized 2 days in a row at work so there's only one to and from trip each week with the boat-anchor.

I've started back in the office 3 days per week which means I get a few rides in with a light backpack :)
Someone saw me storing my laptop in my locker on Tuesday and asked, "Don't you take your laptop home??" to which I replied, not if I'm riding. Even if I do take it home, it's not so I can do more work outside of hours.
One thing I've noticed on the commute is there's led cyclist due to so few going into work, but far more walkers/runners out exercising so more patience is required on the bike paths. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm enjoying taking a more leisurely approach to travelling into work, and life in general post covid lockdowns
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Sat 06 Feb 2021, 9:43 am

Claude Cat wrote:

I've started back in the office 3 days per week which means I get a few rides in with a light backpack :)
Someone saw me storing my laptop in my locker on Tuesday and asked, "Don't you take your laptop home??" to which I replied, "not if I'm riding". Even if I do take it home, it's not so I can do more work outside of hours.
One thing I've noticed on the commute is there's less cyclists due to so few going into work, but far more walkers/runners out exercising so more patience is required on the bike paths. Not that it's a bad thing, I'm enjoying taking a more leisurely approach to travelling into work, and life in general post covid lockdowns
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sun 07 Feb 2021, 9:46 am

This morning's commute started in heavy rain which eased off by the time I reached the shops. It had pretty much stopped completely by the time I returned home. Plenty of roadies and other commuters out and about despite the wet roads. I am glad I wore my trekking sandals - no wet shoes or socks to dry out after the ride, and plenty of grip on the pedals too. Probably not a cold weather option though.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Tue 09 Feb 2021, 12:48 pm

A beautiful morning for a ride.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Return to “Commuters discussion”