How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 03 Jun 2020, 10:56 am

Happy #worldbicycleday everyone.
WFH day 54 ride 60km through the boulies and surrounds. Light rain here and there, traffic starting to build around 8am.

fixie
Posts: 4137
Joined: Thu 03 Aug 2006, 11:32 am
Location: Burwood
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby fixie » Wed 03 Jun 2020, 6:24 pm

Sad that Bicycle network does not seem to acknowledge #worldbicycleday.

Happily Amy Gillet foundation have chosen this day to launch a new campaign and shops in Europe have chosen today to try and sell me a whole new range of city bikes.

Italy is subsidising new bike purchases and France is giving a "get your bike fixed" allowance.
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Matt1
Posts: 613
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Matt1 » Thu 04 Jun 2020, 7:24 pm

fixie wrote:Sad that Bicycle network does not seem to acknowledge #worldbicycleday.

Happily Amy Gillet foundation have chosen this day to launch a new campaign and shops in Europe have chosen today to try and sell me a whole new range of city bikes.

Italy is subsidising new bike purchases and France is giving a "get your bike fixed" allowance.


You spoke too soon. Maybe BN do read the forums: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... -day-2020/

My commute featured quiet roads today, it was also quiet in the shops. Fantastic weather may have encouraged people to find better things to do.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 05 Jun 2020, 12:16 pm

Matt1 wrote:
fixie wrote:Sad that Bicycle network does not seem to acknowledge #worldbicycleday.

Happily Amy Gillet foundation have chosen this day to launch a new campaign and shops in Europe have chosen today to try and sell me a whole new range of city bikes.

Italy is subsidising new bike purchases and France is giving a "get your bike fixed" allowance.


You spoke too soon. Maybe BN do read the forums: https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/newsr ... -day-2020/

My commute featured quiet roads today, it was also quiet in the shops. Fantastic weather may have encouraged people to find better things to do.


They were also celebrating it by putting up short "pop-up" bike lanes outside of various polies electoral offices.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 07 Jun 2020, 12:18 pm

The building works at the southern end of the Walmer st bridge have introduced a tricky detour for those that want to continue south on Burnley st in Richmond. It's also now next to impossible to trigger the traffic lights without using the pedestrian crossings .

rgcrgc
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun 02 Nov 2008, 1:39 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby rgcrgc » Tue 09 Jun 2020, 7:32 pm

Fresh this morning.

2xbaselayer and winter gloves fresh.

Nice ride but.
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 09 Jun 2020, 9:13 pm

rgcrgc wrote:Fresh this morning.

2xbaselayer and winter gloves fresh.

Nice ride but.

Certainly felt that way at 6am!
Home weather system was showing just above 2C, but strava says 0 and it felt that way.
Had my warmest top on and longs, and that was fine. Hands a bit cold to start with, but warmed up. Toes felt mighty cold after 2 hours even with the toe covers.

smitty
Posts: 433
Joined: Mon 01 Oct 2007, 9:34 am
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby smitty » Wed 10 Jun 2020, 2:43 pm

felt extremely cold on my commute today got to my desk logged on and then it struck me
I forgot to put on my pants went back into my bedroom and put them on
lucky I am still working from home

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 10 Jun 2020, 3:05 pm

:lol:

User avatar
TrikeTragic
Posts: 834
Joined: Fri 28 Jul 2006, 2:29 pm
Location: Briar Hill or outer North East 'burbs
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed 10 Jun 2020, 6:57 pm

smitty wrote:…...lucky I am still working from home
:D
Trikester
Alan

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 12 Jun 2020, 12:13 pm

4/4 cold crisp mornings with fog this week.
Longs and warmer tops getting a solid workout.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 15 Jun 2020, 11:51 am

40km of new bike-lanes around the city over the next 2 years.

Image

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/vict ... 552ek.html

rgcrgc
Posts: 1389
Joined: Sun 02 Nov 2008, 1:39 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby rgcrgc » Mon 15 Jun 2020, 8:47 pm

Claude Cat wrote:40km of new bike-lanes around the city over the next 2 years.

Image

https://www.theage.com.au/politics/vict ... 552ek.html


I'd like to think they are going to make the 'Little' streets two-way for bikes - but I seriously doubt it. Having to go all the way to Lt Lonsdale to get a W->E run will be a pain if you are in the SW quarter of the city.
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2066
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 15 Jun 2020, 9:31 pm

Yes, I was wondering about that.

User avatar
mtb101
Posts: 2233
Joined: Mon 20 Mar 2006, 11:27 pm
Location: Any Single Track
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby mtb101 » Tue 16 Jun 2020, 10:29 am

its a positive move; of course the real challenge will be to get the fatties out of their cars in winter, what we might need are push teams at the bottom of hills for the hopelessly sedentary. govt, needs to probably offer a tax incentive for bicycles, I'm still amazed at people standing at tram stops only 3-4 ks from city. They are just so hopelessly conditioned to sit rather than move. well maybe this is the wake up call. its 6 weeks to break patterns, certainly plenty of people exercising, families out, lots of new cyclist, so this could be the revolution ....
__________flow................___________


Return to “Commuters discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests