How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Canuck

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Canuck » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 4:30 pm

Very easy commute just over 7km each way, almost totally on shared paths.
Roads still look busy.
Done til Easter now so only working at home here and there, waiting to see what happens....

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 5:04 pm

Hit-run in Thornbury yesterday afternoon near 5pm

https://www.police.vic.gov.au/cyclist-i ... -thornbury

Greensborough Highway Patrol are appealing for public assistance after a cyclist was injured following a hit-run collision in Thornbury this afternoon.
Police have been told a cyclist was travelling east along the bike lane on Normanby Avenue when he was hit by a car just before 5pm.
It is believed a black late model European hatchback was attempting to turn north into Anderson Road when the collision occurred.
The driver failed to stop at the scene and was last seen driving north along Anderson Road.
The cyclist, a 26-year-old Richmond man was taken to hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.
Police are keen to speak to the driver or any witnesses

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Wed 25 Mar 2020, 7:05 pm

Pre-WFH loop took in the Beach Road path this morning. Loverley again - warmer than y'day with a bit of a tail wind on the path.

Path and roads were well populated again. There was something odd about the traffic on the path that took me a while to put my finger on in my pre-caffineated state - finally dawned on me that the traffic was almost evenly split in travel direction, whereas I'm more used to the weekday pattern of the traffic being heavily biased to the CBD morning/evening commute direction.
Navis volitans mea plena anguillarum est

smitty

Postby smitty » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 7:39 am

Short commute again got out of bed walk to lounge room turn on laptop and TV start work
Email from building management they have closed the showers at work but bike lockup remains open
Looks like a great morning for a bike ride

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 9:38 am

smitty wrote:Looks like a great morning for a bike ride

It was very nice indeed.
Quite a few riding the boulies, but well spaced out.
Vehicular traffic down to a minimum, which has pros and cons, it seems those that are driving have an open authorization to drive at ridiculous speeds because they can.

Heather

Postby Heather » Thu 26 Mar 2020, 12:24 pm

My office has closed access to the bike cage and end-of-trip facilities. :roll: :roll:
No notice, just arrived to find them all locked up, needed to call security to obtain items from your locker or bike cage (eg lock). I know most city workers are working from home, ....but :shock:
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 7:40 pm

Was super close passed, at speed, twice in quick succession this morning - think they were racing! First lad gave me around 15-20cm space but the second lad passed so close i swear he brushed my arm - probably the air rush but, my it was close!

Bloody Rosellas!

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 27 Mar 2020, 8:15 pm

rgcrgc wrote:Was super close passed, at speed, twice in quick succession this morning - think they were racing! First lad gave me around 15-20cm space but the second lad passed so close i swear he brushed my arm - probably the air rush but, my it was close!

Bloody Rosellas!

:D

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Mon 30 Mar 2020, 8:56 am

rgcrgc wrote:Was super close passed, at speed, twice in quick succession this morning - think they were racing! First lad gave me around 15-20cm space but the second lad passed so close i swear he brushed my arm - probably the air rush but, my it was close!

Bloody Rosellas!

I get that with the Rainbow Lorikeets! :D

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 30 Mar 2020, 9:19 am

Early WFH ride this morning.
Not many cars, not many cyclists, weather was prime though.
Still a few bananas riding ninja in the dark, or with the most puny of puny (pin-prick size) front lights.

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Mon 30 Mar 2020, 12:41 pm

Grateful to have a workplace still operating in this current clime. Crazy times tho, regular bike commuting is keeping me sane.

I've noticed the mix of other cyclists has changed quite a bit, many single and bunch rec riders, particularly in the morning and far fewer fellow commuters. Also limiting my shared trail use given the extra peds that have next to nil trail etiquette.

Strange times :|
velocified

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 31 Mar 2020, 11:04 am

Beautiful sun-rise for WFH Day 10.
Tuesday mornings seem to be the busy day on the Boulies.
Hardly any commuters on bikes on the MYT / GCT bits that I could see. Vast majority of cyclists out for an early morning exercise.

rgcrgc

Postby rgcrgc » Tue 31 Mar 2020, 10:27 pm

It is certainly received wisdom, and most likely true, that in times of social upheaval there is a marked increase in the birth rate 9 months down the pike. There certainly appeared to be a large number of 'post-GFC* Babies' and it is most likely there will be a significant number of 'post-Corona Babies'.

From observations made during my WFH spins, I posit there will be also be a significant number of 'post-Corona P-platers**'. I have never seen so many teenage learners on the road at one time getting their hours up. I swear there was a convoy at one point this morning.

* No, sports fans, I do not mean following a Geelong grand final win - although...

**Subject to age and test slot availability

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 01 Apr 2020, 10:27 am

Another beautiful morning. Mist rising off the hollows in Kew Boulevard.
Forgot to charge my front light and woke up at 5am, to dash out and put it on charge and give it enough power to last out the morning ride.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 02 Apr 2020, 9:58 am

WFH Day 12: Rain at the appointed time so left it after 7am when it cleared. Nobody out at all, hardly a car, cyclist or jogger. Lots of water over the road on the Kew Boulie in parts, water over the cycle path under Kooyong rd. Still felt good to get the legs turning over even if it was a shorter ride.

Return to “Commuters discussion”