How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Snuffy » Thu 02 May 2019, 9:32 am

That sounds about right... I leave the house pretty darned early and after getting pounded by the rain for the first half of my ride, I spent most of the second half dodging puddles and sweating in my rain jacket...
Reaching new levels of softness!

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 02 May 2019, 3:24 pm

Warm and no rain, but blustery winds in both directions gave me a workout. Thankfully not much traffic around which makes for a more pleasant commute.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 02 May 2019, 7:25 pm

Still warm for the return trip. And no rain.
It's really very dark now at 6pm. Of course that doesn't stop the nijas

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Thu 02 May 2019, 7:33 pm

After checking the forecast last night, got the wet weather bike ready by swapping the lights over, putting the mudguard on, pumping up the tyres etc. Woken early by torrential rain on the roof thinking, phew, good thing I got ready last night. Rain still pouring down when I went to get the bike out only to find that the front tyre was flat :roll: Swapped everything back over to the geared rode bike and rode to the station and got on a train.

Halfway in, the rain had stopped and the roads didn't look quite as wet as they were at home. Got off at the next stop and rode in for the remainder.

Overcast but dry when I left for the day with a decent tail wind. Damp roads and some half-hearted attempts at drizzle for the last third of the commute but otherwise fine. Cooler than the morning but still quite mild.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 03 May 2019, 8:20 am

So about a year ago, I realised that I had way too many unfinished projects, half finished bikes and a frightening comprehensive spare parts box. So I decided that I would get all of my bikes back on the road....

This has since resulted in three bikes that I can ride to work [1], which I've now decided that I'm going to ride on a rotating basis [2]. So I started this week on the dinglespeed MTB, yesterday's apocalyptic morning rain demanded the fendered-Rohloff-belt-drive tourer and today I busted out the bikepacker.

It turns out that I'm equally as slow on all three of these bikes and get to work at basically the same time...

I'm honestly quite surprised by that result because the dinglespeed feels so much faster because I actually have to make an effort when I'm riding on the hills.... yesterday's rain and the freaking heavy tourer should have slowed me down yesterday.... despite the knobblies, I think the bikepacker should be faster than the tourer if only for the fact that it's somewhat lighter and more efficient....

Of course, I say that I get to work at the same time, instead of measuring the ride time because while I walk out of the front door at the same time every day, I think the luggage and lighting system makes a difference.... I use a messenger bag on the dinglespeed, so it's pretty quick to get out the driveway, but I think I lose a fair bit of time on the flatter parts of my ride, as well as having to faff about with rechargeable lights.... the tourer is freakaing slow, but has a Carradice saddle bag permanently attached, so I just drop my musette in, turn on the dyno lights and off I go.... Meanwhile the bikepacker has a roll down Ortlieb saddle bag, which just takes forever to pack properly to avoid sagging.

My life is far too complicated...... :lol:

[1] When my colleagues ask me why I have so many bikes I say "Well, you don't wear the same pair of shoes every day do you? You're going to wear them out really fast, then one day they'll split at a really inopportune moment"... some people don't really understand this because they really do wear the same shoes every day, which I think is pretty gross...

[2] there are actually five bikes in the rotation, because I will occasionally hop on to the MRR in the mornings, so the nice roadie and the wet weather roadie will sometimes make an appearance, but that just complicates things and honestly, I don't really like riding through the city on road cleats.
Reaching new levels of softness!

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Fri 03 May 2019, 9:48 am

I just go out to my garage every morning, attach the pannier to my commuter, switch on the lights and head off. Pretty much the only variables are the weather and how energetic I'm feeling.

Very occaisionally I ride my mountain bike, but it only has flat pedals, so I need to remember to wear normal shoes and I also have to wear a backpack to carry my stuff, which I don't really like. By some incredible coincidence, my commuter bike is much more suited to my commute! :P

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 03 May 2019, 9:52 am

[1] When my colleagues ask me why I have so many bikes I say "Well, you don't wear the same pair of shoes every day do you? You're going to wear them out really fast, then one day they'll split at a really inopportune moment"... some people don't really understand this because they really do wear the same shoes every day, which I think is pretty gross...

Besides the ability to ride one bike while the other is in the shop, I really enjoy having two bikes which are radically different. I like the difference between the fast, fleet flat bar commuter - OK not a road bike but still quite high end and beautiful to ride - and the upright Ladies' bike with full mudguards and usually more civvy clothes than what I would wear on the flat bar. I don't have much variation in my commute so it makes life more fun. There is a 3rd bike which is the 26" old school no-suspension MTB which is for certain situations - riding to and locking up at the station if it's going to be there until late at night (NO for the other bikes) and taking on beach holidays for riding on the dirt roads.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 03 May 2019, 10:04 am

I have 2, the roadie and an old 26er MTB. The roadie gets used almost every day.
The 26er is for wet commutes, general running around, or when parking bike in "dodgy" locations, holiday trips and the occasional MTB ride when I get sick of the road.
I'd love to get another, but the wife would probably crack the ****s; with the garage already full of kids bikes and other cycling guff like repair stands etc.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 03 May 2019, 10:05 am

Anyway, a perfect morning for a commute. Nice to see a little sunshine.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 03 May 2019, 10:16 am

Gorgeous morning. Loved it.

Danton

Postby Danton » Fri 03 May 2019, 10:40 am

I have also spent some time this year getting a couple of my older bikes back on the road.

A few days ago I decided to ride a few of them and rode some short laps around my area on six different bikes.

In reality I normally only ride a couple.

Fixie for Commutes.
Roady on the weekend.
Dually on the weekend if I'm not on the roady.
Rain bike when it rains so barely ridden..

I also have a couple of old road bike which I must get around to getting rid of, if I can work out how

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Fri 03 May 2019, 1:41 pm

^^^^^^^ My alternative commuter (a variation of this) is still sitting, not yet assembled, in our bedroom wardrobe. It’s been a good four years :shock:
Maybe this year?
velocified

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Fri 03 May 2019, 2:41 pm

Beautiful weather today, and with all the talk about alternative commuters I took my vintage cruiser out today. Almost 50 years old and still rides fine.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Fri 03 May 2019, 9:46 pm

A fixed gear road bike and a geared rode bike take care of my commuting needs. On the geared road bike today and a lovely morning for it, cool and dry and fairly still. Fine for the ride home with a welcome tail wind.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 04 May 2019, 2:19 pm

Full wet weather gear today, with long waterproof pants and a rain jacket. Back on the modern commuter with the mudguards and fat tyres to handle the wet roads. I really should put some guards and fresh tyres on the vintage bike, once I get the money for it. In the last 18 months that I have been back in Melbourne we have barely had any rain, so I enjoy the novelty factor.

Traffic was polite and respectful, which makes for a more pleasant commute.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Return to “Commuters discussion”