How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
victor

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Tue 01 May 2018, 10:09 am

mtb101 wrote:also cops pulling up cyclists on st georges rd this morning.

For what? Being cyclists?

victor

Postby victor » Tue 01 May 2018, 10:10 am

Snuffy wrote:*cough**cough**cough**hack*

blargh

That wasn't nice to ride through

I didn't enjoy it either, it was a bit too thick to make cycling comfortable. Does anyone know its source?

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 01 May 2018, 10:14 am

victor wrote:

I think, they think if a cyclist hits a car they will kill the car.
__________flow................___________

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 01 May 2018, 10:35 am

victor wrote:I didn't enjoy it either, it was a bit too thick to make cycling comfortable. Does anyone know its source?

Controlled burns throughout the state
Reaching new levels of softness!

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 01 May 2018, 10:48 am

if you have the vic emergency app all will be .revealed

steph.

Postby steph. » Tue 01 May 2018, 10:51 am

victor wrote:

Were they fining people again for going through red lights? Apparently there was a collision at one of the crossings yesterday... seems they need to do some driver education rather than bother cyclists.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 01 May 2018, 11:23 am

probably red lights or yellows.

the funny observation one can make about the apartheid system that exists for cyclists is pedestrian lights which we face on cycle paths are only triggered by a button push, whereas cars have a sequence of reds and greens - . take st georges rd, nicholoson/lygon st on capital city crossovers no auto sequence and short green times, this is why you must learn to bunny hop gutters otherwise you going to get obese waiting for the lights to change. :lol:

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Tue 01 May 2018, 1:07 pm

mtb101 wrote:the funny observation one can make about the apartheid system that exists for cyclists is pedestrian lights which we face on cycle paths are only triggered by a button push, whereas cars have a sequence of reds and greens - . take st georges rd, nicholoson/lygon st on capital city crossovers no auto sequence and short green times, this is why you must learn to bunny hop gutters otherwise you going to get obese waiting for the lights to change. :lol:

Which is one of my reasons for staying off bike paths and using on-road services. eg: Rathdowne St crossing of Alexandra Pde vs Canning St.
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 01 May 2018, 1:22 pm

true, .... nice not have to watch for cars on bike path only cyclists and I like them.

victor

Postby victor » Wed 02 May 2018, 9:13 am

A construction worker on the short section of Northbank shared path just near St Kilda Rd yesterday afternoon insisted I dismount to walk through that section, even though I was already going not much more than walking speed leading up to that section and there were no pedestrians nearby at the time. This morning, I rode through the same section unobstructed while a construction worker just stood on the side of the path and said nothing.

So much for consistent application of OH&S laws. :roll:

I'd consider riding home along LaTrobe St this afternoon, but it's not very practical, because there are far too many traffic lights, impatient motorists, and probably even more pedestrians than on the Northbank shared path to the MCG.

bc

Postby bc » Wed 02 May 2018, 11:48 am

came through the same spot this morning - no issue, although it was nearly 10am. Didn't have too much smoke/smog, so a pleasant ride in.

rat'n'bat

Postby rat'n'bat » Wed 02 May 2018, 12:51 pm

victor wrote:A construction worker on the short section of Northbank shared path just near St Kilda Rd yesterday afternoon insisted I dismount to walk through that section, even though I was already going not much more than walking speed leading up to that section and there were no pedestrians nearby at the time. This morning, I rode through the same section unobstructed while a construction worker just stood on the side of the path and said nothing.

So much for consistent application of OH&S laws. :roll:

I'd consider riding home along LaTrobe St this afternoon, but it's not very practical, because there are far too many traffic lights, impatient motorists, and probably even more pedestrians than on the Northbank shared path to the MCG.

I’ve currently got 3 “Cyclist dismount” points on my commute
Sandridge path near Ingles has one near a new footpath build despite the existing path seemingly not being affected in anyway. (They better be putting in a crossing, but I’m tipping they’re not)
Bay trail near Sth Melbourne Life Saving Club despite the temporary shared path being the same width as any normal shared path, while cars can drive metres away at 60. They have had a guy in the morning (only the morning, and only inbound) telling cyclists to dismount which most have ignored. Wasn't there today though
Bay trail near the sewerage pipes work in Brighton – which narrows the trail significantly but I can comfortably ride through there slowly. If however I would get off my MTB and walk, there would not be room for anybody coming the other way to get past. Having to dismount and walk because of a narrow trail and therefore making yourself wider – sort of defeats the purpose

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Wed 02 May 2018, 1:27 pm

There is a cyclist dismount sign on my commute attatched with cable ties, I have been meaning to bring some clippers and dismount it...
Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk....*

*Not really Frosty

B1k3B0y

Postby B1k3B0y » Wed 02 May 2018, 2:28 pm

https://youtu.be/vzElJWvT9hg on commute home yesterday had this massive F150 or F250 with a single occupant decide he was in a hurry to play golf change into the bike lane with no indicator causing me to take evasive action. Annoyed me quite a bit, i assume its illegal to change into bike lane like that with no intention to park or turn left. Overized vehicles with single occupants and personalised plates driven like @@r$h0les are one of many things I cant stand. I guess i could goto cops but i doubt they would care.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 02 May 2018, 2:44 pm

B1k3B0y wrote:https://youtu.be/vzElJWvT9hg on commute home yesterday had this massive F150 or F250 with a single occupant decide he was in a hurry to play golf change into the bike lane with no indicator causing me to take evasive action. Annoyed me quite a bit, i assume its illegal to change into bike lane like that with no intention to park or turn left. Overized vehicles with single occupants and personalised plates driven like @@r$h0les are one of many things I cant stand. I guess i could goto cops but i doubt they would care.

He can theoretically only use the bike lane to pass a car turning right.
Even so he needs to give way to anyone using the lane.

Return to “Commuters discussion”