How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Snuffy » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 11:41 am

Off the bike for a baby scan this morning, but somehow managed to sneak in a few runs....

- The doc who's NEVER late was running late today and I had to dash back out to the car at about 80% pace to top up the parking
- Then my wife messaged and said that she could hear the previous appointment coming out, so I turned around and dashed back at about 95% pace
- Delays caused by another patient paying at the front desk saw us cutting it very close to our parking, so I dashed back out to the car again at about 70% pace

Seriously... cars cause so much stress.......
Reaching new levels of softness!

bc

Postby bc » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 4:07 pm

Yes, chilly start this morning, but otherwise wonderful :D

victor

Postby victor » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 7:14 pm

Snuffy wrote:Off the bike for a baby scan this morning, but somehow managed to sneak in a few runs....

- The doc who's NEVER late was running late today and I had to dash back out to the car at about 80% pace to top up the parking
- Then my wife messaged and said that she could hear the previous appointment coming out, so I turned around and dashed back at about 95% pace
- Delays caused by another patient paying at the front desk saw us cutting it very close to our parking, so I dashed back out to the car again at about 70% pace

Seriously... cars cause so much stress.......

Look on the bright (but ironic) side: you got some exercise doing the dashes. :D

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Fri 16 Mar 2018, 9:20 pm

It was certainly nice and fresh this morning, although I could have done without the near dooring when I was 10 minutes from home :roll:

Sunny with light head/cross winds for the ride home. No near misses this time either which was a bonus :)

Helen

Postby Helen » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 10:48 am

Another hit-run. Reposting the link here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

"This is a shout out. Was anybody in Nicholson St between North Carlton and Fitzroy on Saturday about 2.30 pm & witnessed hit & run of cyclist who was left at the site unconscious? Yes... it is my son Nicholas Pearson in emergency thanks to someone calling the police and ambulance. Possibly hit by an old green station wagon, maybe Holden or Ford. Maybe said person was heard in heated exchange & possibly backed into / drove at Nick."
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 4:01 pm

Helen wrote:Another hit-run. Reposting the link here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... =3&theater

"This is a shout out. Was anybody in Nicholson St between North Carlton and Fitzroy on Saturday about 2.30 pm & witnessed hit & run of cyclist who was left at the site unconscious? Yes... it is my son Nicholas Pearson in emergency thanks to someone calling the police and ambulance. Possibly hit by an old green station wagon, maybe Holden or Ford. Maybe said person was heard in heated exchange & possibly backed into / drove at Nick."

Link doesn't seem to work.

.d.

Postby .d. » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 4:54 pm

Friday’s commutes were greatly enlivened by a couple of cyclists- one when going in, the other when riding home- who provided light diversion through their great acceleration abilities.

Heading in I was riding up behind another cyclist on the MYT at Burnley. As I rode alongside him when overtaking, he looked across, saw me, and accelerated so fast to stop me overtaking that I almost burst out laughing. Not the sly stay-in-the-saddle-and-increase-speed-without-appearing-to-do-so approach for him. No, it was full pelt at the pedals!

Since I wasn’t in a race I pulled in behind him again.

Then, wouldn’t you know it, I found myself behind him again a kilometre or so up the path. This time I didn’t have a chance to pull alongside before he accelerated hard again.

When I found myself behind him for a third time I figured he would do it again, but this time he let me overtake without response.

Going home that evening I found myself behind another rider who appeared to be doing high cadence training, as he was in the small ring and rotating the legs pretty fast! There wasn’t the chance to overtake safely (and I was feeling quite lazy) so I stayed behind him for a while.

At the bottom of the GCT Hill leading down to the Toorak Road underpass he suddenly accelerated really hard. I was so impressed with his high cadence! I couldn’t believe how quickly he was fanging those cranks! Off he sailed into the distance (and no, I didn’t see him again...).

Having had two cyclists speed off from me, I wondered if my jersey needed a wash?
David S

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Sun 18 Mar 2018, 6:07 pm

Sounds like the commuter cup is alive and well. :lol:

biker35

Postby biker35 » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 7:29 am

Left much earlier than usual this morning* and discovered something about my route - apparently 6:30-7 is "let your dogs roam off leash (or practically so)" time on one of the paths I ride. Had to slow to avoid several annoying yippers, stop entirely to say hello to an overly friendly, very large "puppy" and had one very aggressive german shepherd literally drag its very petite (and very nominal) owner about 50m down the path in its attempts to attack me. Didn't mind getting slobbered on by the oversized puppy, not so happy about the near-death experience with the german shepherd.

*getting too dark to water the garden in the morning so shifted to afternoons instead plus kid had a restless night so I gave up any pretentions of sleep at about 5am, left around 6.

victor

Postby victor » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:12 am

Another day, another commute, another deliberate close overtake. This one was so close that if I'd wobbled to the right even a tiny bit I would have been hit. Bloody selfish, prejudiced pr!cks.

Helen

Postby Helen » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 9:09 am

Link doesn't seem to work.

Duzzentmatta, I have cut and pasted the original post, anyone who witnessed this would know what to do.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Mon 19 Mar 2018, 8:03 pm

A fresh head wind for the ride in this morning, and not as much tree debris on the road as I was expecting after yesterday's wind storm. Sunny and humid when I left for the day with a light cross/tail wind. Made it to the half way point when it started to cloud over and the wind swung around to a cross/head. Wasn't complaining though as it was cooler than the tail wind and it immediately felt less humid.

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 12:16 pm

A little cool when I left at 6am but I soon warmed up when I hit the first hill.

Hit a big faceful of rain about 15 minutes into the ride which was inevitable given I washed the bike thoroughly on the weekend, even stripping down the BB to re-grease it all, but that was it and it stayed dry beyond that point.
Bike felt great this morning expect for that rear derailleur cable which has felt oh so stretched the past few weeks, and yeah probably should change it soon... until about a 3rd of the way into the ride Snap! away it goes.

I was just passing Jordy station so contemplated getting on the train, but remembered there's not really any major hills from there on and lots of downhill bits so soldiered on. Kept saying to myself, "pull over and tie the cable into the higher gear", but each time I just kept pushing on and on eventually getting to work.

Hopefully can get it sorted this afternoon so I have more than 2 speeds (Hi and Low) to get me home :)
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 12:56 pm

Running to work this morning with pram, so of course it rained on me for a while :roll:

Saw end result of an accident at one of the roundabouts of death beyond Cheddar at Settlement Rd. Didn't look like anyone hurt, but cops and traffic control measures in place. Shocked there are not more accidents there...

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 20 Mar 2018, 1:26 pm

Had an odd incident on the way to work yesterday.
There was a few slower riders (read, real slow riders) on the MYT approaching the Punt rd underpass.
There's no real good passing areas once you approach up-ramp and then the down ramp that goes under the road so very quickly a bunch of rides got stuck behind the slow riders, which was ok. Anyway, the guy in front of me lost concentration and collided with the railing (jammed his hand between his bars and the railing) and bounced the middle of the trail; but somehow managed to keep upright. Fortunately nobody going the other way at the same time otherwise there might have been 10 riders down at once!
Stay safe out there!

Return to “Commuters discussion”