How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
victor

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 9:15 am

I'm using my road bike this week, instead of the usual VWR commuter bike, because I noticed while cleaning the latter on the weekend that one of the chain ring bolts securing the middle and small chain rings to each other had vanished. I wondered why the bike seemed lighter than usual last week***. I probably wouldn't notice the difference, given that it would only affect my use of the small chain ring, which only gets used on a 600m long (and up to 15% grade) hill just before home on the homeward commute.

I've ordered some more chain ring bolts, and lost a bit more faith in Australian online vendors. I ended up ordering the chain ring bolts from Amazon (the main one, not the .AU one), because the Australian online vendors were quoting ridiculous prices for chain ring bolts.

*** this post may contain traces of exaggeration.

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 10:51 am

Snuffy wrote:Probably should have just spent the money on a Wald instead of trying to hack job this Officeworks basket - will probably cost the same once I've finished engineering a solution.....

Wald really are the goods.
Sometimes the ones that are built for specific bikes are great, but for one that'll fit almost anything, they're hard to go past. Importantly, there's a few known-for-their-quality brands which, when it comes to porteur racks, aren't that great.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 1:37 pm

baudman wrote:
Snuffy wrote:Probably should have just spent the money on a Wald instead of trying to hack job this Officeworks basket - will probably cost the same once I've finished engineering a solution.....

Wald really are the goods.
Sometimes the ones that are built for specific bikes are great, but for one that'll fit almost anything, they're hard to go past. Importantly, there's a few known-for-their-quality brands which, when it comes to porteur racks, aren't that great.

Yeah, I was kind of counting on the super heavy duty nature of the front rack and the fact that the bike is so damn heavy (it's 25kg dry!) to keep it all together. The thing I don't like about the Wald is the open mesh base - this basket I bought has a solid base and also folds flat. I actually like the flexibility of being able to load something on a flat front rack, but also having the options of sides that pop up.

If the solution I have in mind works out, I'm going to have an incredibly flexible option for moving... .stuff :)
Reaching new levels of softness!

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Mon 26 Feb 2018, 7:21 pm

A little on the fresh side this morning, with a welcome tail/cross wind. Nice and sunny for the ride home with a cooling cross/head wind. The legs felt pretty good after a weekend of leisure and the traffic behaved itself, couldn't ask for more really :)

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 7:36 am

Lil' Miss Snuffy was incredibly pleased about the childcare pickup yesterday. Halfway through the ride, completely unprompted and not in response to me, she said "I love you daddy!"

Win!

Then she cracked the whip......

GO FASTER DADDY!! GO FASTER!!!

which didn't really agree with my goal of not sweating into my suit
Reaching new levels of softness!

Helen

Postby Helen » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 8:53 am

Halfway through the ride, completely unprompted and not in response to me, she said "I love you daddy!"

D'AWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Helen

Postby Helen » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 8:54 am

Lots of riders on the Footscray path I hadn't seen before. There is a lot of shoaling at lights then indiscriminate overtaking on the LH side. Bah.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

bc

Postby bc » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 4:38 pm

another lovely ride in. going to be a bit warmer going home

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 6:49 pm

Stupidity busy outgoing on the MYT this afternoon. Another accident on the pontoon, same place as last week. Cuts and grazes only this time for the victim. Almost another when idiot pedestrian with eyes only for his phone stepped in front of 10+ riders at the Burnley rail overpass.

.d.

Postby .d. » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 7:21 pm

A bit of mindless diversion I quite enjoy is to look at my morning commute on Strava flybys.

It's always of interest to see riders approaching the Gardiners Creek Trail from all points of the compass and then, as though predestined, we all arrive there at the same time, coagulate and ride as one along the trail.

It was especially intriguing this morning to see a rider leave from within 50 metres of me in Canterbury only a few minutes after me, the two of us ride wildly divergent routes to the GCT, and then arrive simultaneously at the Hawthorn velodrome.

Then when I looked more closely at that rider's Strava icon I saw that it was...the previous correspondent, Claude Cat.
David S

stretts

Postby stretts » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 7:22 pm

Helen wrote:Lots of riders on the Footscray path I hadn't seen before. There is a lot of shoaling at lights then indiscriminate overtaking on the LH side. Bah.

I was heading out west on that route as I normally do. Interesting occurrence at the corner of Harbour esplanade and Dudley st/Dockland drive. Large cue of cyclists waiting for bike crossing light, it turned orange so I began slowing down, waiting for the next cycle, dude on my right speeds up only to have a copper turning left on the green arrow honk his horn and stick his head out the window to give a bit of a spray, lady behind yelled something I couldn't make out as well. All round weird. Also had two peds going down Latrobe stroll into the bike lane without looking.

Rest of ride home was standard.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 7:48 pm

.d. wrote:It was especially intriguing this morning to see a rider leave from within 50 metres of me in Canterbury only a few minutes after me, the two of us ride wildly divergent routes to the GCT, and then arrive simultaneously at the Hawthorn velodrome.

Then when I looked more closely at that rider's Strava icon I saw that it was...the previous correspondent, Claude Cat.

Ha, I always wondered if it was faster or slower going that way. I think it's a bit longer, but far less stop / starting.

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 8:34 pm

Quite a fresh start this morning, some of the parked cars in the neighbourhood even had a light frost on their windshields - haven't seen that for a while. Very nice for the ride home with the added bonus of a tail wind - score! :D

PiledHigher

Postby PiledHigher » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 8:38 pm

46 minutes trip home, less than 30 seconds stopped at traffic lights, there are only 3 sets of lights but that is probably as good as it gets..
Sent from my iThingy using Tapatalk....*

*Not really Frosty

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Tue 27 Feb 2018, 8:40 pm

Snuffy wrote:Lil' Miss Snuffy was incredibly pleased about the childcare pickup yesterday. Halfway through the ride, completely unprompted and not in response to me, she said "I love you daddy!"

Win!

Then she cracked the whip......

GO FASTER DADDY!! GO FASTER!!!

which didn't really agree with my goal of not sweating into my suit

Hehe. I always love the 'direction' and cheers from the backseat on the bike...

Return to “Commuters discussion”