How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
victor

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 7:53 am

This morning I had another unnecessarily close pass by an impatient idiot in a ute. At the start of my commute, I ride down Craig Rd in Donvale, a very steep descent, which also has 3 so-called "traffic calming" kerbs (aka chicanes). I was heading down the hill, and rapidly picking up speed, when this complete moron decided he couldn't wait for me to get to the next chicane, and so sped up and overtook me. Bloody idiot.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 8:16 am

Beautiful ride in this morning, the conditions were perfect. Lots of other cyclists on St Georges Rd, particularly from about the tram depot on down, and then along the CCT and into Docklands. The sun sparkling on the water on the way through Docklands was particularly nice.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 9:04 am

Daicos Mullets wrote:Beautiful ride in this morning, the conditions were perfect. Lots of other cyclists on St Georges Rd, particularly from about the tram depot on down, and then along the CCT and into Docklands. The sun sparkling on the water on the way through Docklands was particularly nice.

It was really nice today.

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 10:29 am

the best day to commute ever, perfect weather, lovely cold breeze, pity those poor baastards in cars
__________flow................___________

bc

Postby bc » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 11:50 am

great weather, great ride - but I'm getting a little tired of the off lead dog walkers around Banksia Flats - four this morning within 500m

victor

Postby victor » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 12:16 pm

bc wrote:great weather, great ride - but I'm getting a little tired of the off lead dog walkers around Banksia Flats - four this morning within 500m

Agreed. Some of those dog walkers really do need to be on leads... they're more dangerous than their so-called "pets".

biker35

Postby biker35 » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 1:42 pm

Great weather this morning!

Bit of an odd one yesterday: saw a woman riding a combination bike / elliptical trainer. Brand new by the looks of it (and not ridden much yet judging by the general wobbliness). Had to google when I got home to confirm that it's a thing. My first thought was "did I really just see that?", second thought was "that would be really awkward at the lights!".

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 9:14 pm

biker35 wrote:Great weather this morning!

Bit of an odd one yesterday: saw a woman riding a combination bike / elliptical trainer. Brand new by the looks of it (and not ridden much yet judging by the general wobbliness). Had to google when I got home to confirm that it's a thing. My first thought was "did I really just see that?", second thought was "that would be really awkward at the lights!".

Wow, I had no idea that was a thing either. More questions than answers at this stage.

Another beautiful day for it - fresh again first thing then sunny with a cool and light head/cross wind in the afternoon.

On the ride home got chatting to a pleasant chap wearing what looked like Estonian national kit. He said it was only his second time out in 8 months after a bad downhill accident, and thought 100kms may have been overdoing it :shock: Hmm, yes, perhaps that was a bit keen of him. He was quite thankful for a tow though, even if it was only 5 or 6kms, so I'm guessing he was feeling it.

victor

Postby victor » Tue 13 Feb 2018, 9:43 pm

They have a name, too. Did it look anything like one of these? --> http://www.elliptigo.com.au
I've occasionally seen a guy "riding" (?) one on the Koonung Creek Trail, and my first thought was "what does he do at the first steep hill?".

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:50 am

victor wrote:

They have a name, too. Did it look anything like one of these? --> http://www.elliptigo.com.au
I've occasionally seen a guy "riding" (?) one on the Koonung Creek Trail, and my first thought was "what does he do at the first steep hill?".

I'm pretty sure I've seen someone on one of those a few times on the CCT, through the North Fitzroy/Carlton area.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:56 am

Horrible slog against the wind this morning.
Additional points for the dust being kicked off the roads and industrial plants. The cement factory next to Ingles st bridge was especially bad.

biker35

Postby biker35 » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 8:59 am

victor wrote:

Yeah - that's it. This was a woman riding along Barwon River trail (near little creatures for those that know geelong). I wonder if they have some sort of gear arrangement maybe?

As to this morning's ride: wind, wind, rain, and did I mention the (head) wind? That was a slog and a half.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:07 am

some fun side winds on the push bike this morning. Checked the weather before leaving home and it was NNE... yaa mostly tail wind with a 22degree temp and feels like 18. Now arriving at work, WSW @ 67km/h and 18.1 feels like 5.4

no wonder we had some solid side wind action when I was heading south on Rathdowne
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

mtb101

Postby mtb101 » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:34 am

Thunderbolt and lightning, Very, very frightening me. (Galileo) Galileo. (Galileo) Galileo,
__________flow................___________

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 14 Feb 2018, 9:48 am

Gusting to over 100 kph over the bay at 8:40am. Yeh, it was windy in Port Melbourne.

Return to “Commuters discussion”