How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Canuck

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Canuck » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:25 am

Magnus tG wrote:Clipped a couple of times by a car this morning while traveling through a chicane. I say twice because the first hit came from the side mirror then a moment later (and for good measure), the car’s side panel! Event was kinda slo-mo but I still ended up losing balance and in the gutter. Did however stay upright :) Driver didn’t stop but I did get rego number etc. No damage to bike nor me really but reported the incident to the Greensy police, who were very helpful.

Glad you are ok. Disturbing that the driver was either so oblivious they hit someone or knew and did nothing.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:27 am

Yesterday, running to work pushing the pram, headwind was unkind, but then it started gusting madly and pouring rain, too! Run home was much nicer with a tailwind and sun.

This morning, PT in to work where I left my bike the other week. Sigh. Better go check it's still in the cage, and without any flat tires before leaving this evening...

baudman
Location: Some of us are in the gutter, we are all looking out for cars

Postby baudman » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 9:30 am

fixie wrote:
parawolf wrote:
Helen wrote:Hopefully the tide will turn on that now.

E-Bike price and commonality will be that for Melbourne. People think 10km is too far to ride in business attire on a comfortable bike.

From what i have observed on GCT, E-bikes may add to the problem. A couple have gone past me at a rate of knots that I did not think they could achieve with the legal assist of 200 watts!

Not to mention the hoons that baudman ranted about.

Two sets of legal regs in all states/territories in Aust.*
200w. Must be able to be ridden under its own steam.
Pedalec, the Euro standard. 250w. Max assist of 25km (it can taper off after that). No hand throttle.

So, both pretty-much will only go to around 25km/h relying on the assist. One regulated - the other... there's only so much torque you can get out of a 200w motor.

Even so, at that speed, with more weight and so more momentum, an inexperienced rider can get out of shape on Melbourne's convoluted bike paths.

But yeah, anything faster than that = higher watts and it's no longer deemed a bicycle. https://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/safety- ... d-bicycles

*Qld is the first state to challenge the 200w/throttle reg. That'll be interesting as a few of Australia's largest suppliers of those bikes are Qld based. Oh, and most of them are pretty tragic.

Snuffy wrote:Have been commuting using rechargable lights and carrying a musette for the last month, but yesterday I finally finished wiring the dyno lights and fitting the luggage. (I have to admit, I spent a seriously LONG time mulling over how to route the dyno cabling nicely). I can finally declare that the Christmas holidays project bike is finished. !

Pix or it didn't happen

Helen

Postby Helen » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 10:29 am

The problem is that nothing is enforced on bike paths. Bike cops are useless for the task as they ride heavy hybrids which would not catch either speeding e-bikers or Freds. I'd like to see cops on e-bikes or maybe even a very lightweight "postie bike" type thing which would be able to catch and fine people who are really going too fast / riding dangerously. But at the moment it's just a regulation free area, really.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 10:54 am

baudman wrote:
Snuffy wrote:Have been commuting using rechargable lights and carrying a musette for the last month, but yesterday I finally finished wiring the dyno lights and fitting the luggage. (I have to admit, I spent a seriously LONG time mulling over how to route the dyno cabling nicely). I can finally declare that the Christmas holidays project bike is finished. !

Pix or it didn't happen

That's all I've got at the moment.....
Reaching new levels of softness!

bc

Postby bc » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 11:18 am

Lovely morning for a ride. Started late, so more people on the MYT. Saw a couple of wombats crossing the path together - must be that time.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 3:20 pm

HUGE amount of car traffic this morning.....
Buy a bike, park the car, ride your ass off...

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 6:20 pm

Canuck wrote:
Magnus tG wrote:Clipped a couple of times by a car this morning while traveling through a chicane. I say twice because the first hit came from the side mirror then a moment later (and for good measure), the car’s side panel! Event was kinda slo-mo but I still ended up losing balance and in the gutter. Did however stay upright :) Driver didn’t stop but I did get rego number etc. No damage to bike nor me really but reported the incident to the Greensy police, who were very helpful.

Glad you are ok. Disturbing that the driver was either so oblivious they hit someone or knew and did nothing.

I rarely put myself in a position where a driver is able to squeeze past in any type of traffic treatment including roundabouts but in this situation, a motorist in front of the car that hit me, sped up and pretty much pushed in just as I was about to claim the lane. That forced me to stay to the left so by the time I tried to again claim the lane while now properly in the chicane, the second motorist, who was already on my tail, proceeded to squeeze past too. An audacious act and I hope the police followed through as they said they would.
velocified

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Thu 01 Feb 2018, 6:37 pm

Fresh and still this morning, with a light tail wind. Sunny in the afternoon with a very gusty head/cross wind. Was starting to feel it a little in the legs by the time I got home too.

Missed out on riding at the beginning of the week due to a combination of family and work commitments, which was a bit of annoyance after the enforced layoff over the Xmas/New Year period. Hopefully I can get back to my regular commuting routine now.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 02 Feb 2018, 7:46 am

Okay, I finally got around to detouring to my bike-photo-taking log to take this photo.

- Fender lines aren't perfect because it's actually quite hard to find 650B x very-wide fenders in silver, so these are actually 26" fenders that have been resized to cover 650B tyres in a 700C capable frame with sliding dropouts.
- Yes, I have a ridiculous chunky carbon crankset, but it's the blackest one that I had in the parts box (the other was grey) which gave me the required chainline. I think I'd ideally like a polished silver one... if only White Industries made something that could take a Gates cog
- Trying to find a way to mount the front light lower, so that it's not poking out so much, but in the mean time, this works just fine.
- On the topic of the front light, I really dislike the jumble of cables that comes with the Luxos U, but... gotta work with what I've got. *shrugs*
- Yes flat pedals. Seriously peeps... try it. MKS Lambdas... so very good
Reaching new levels of softness!

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Fri 02 Feb 2018, 9:13 am

Snuffy wrote:Okay, I finally got around to detouring to my bike-photo-taking log to take this photo.

Can't wait to see you in your riding poncho/cape and cap over your eyes

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 02 Feb 2018, 9:16 am

Verrrrrrrrry nice Snuffy.
Nothing wrong with platform pedals!
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 02 Feb 2018, 9:51 am

parawolf wrote:
Snuffy wrote:Okay, I finally got around to detouring to my bike-photo-taking log to take this photo.

Can't wait to see you in your riding poncho/cape and cap over your eyes

:lol:

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 02 Feb 2018, 9:52 am

TGFC.

Running late, but awesome weather and lovely ride.

parawolf
Volunteer Moderator

Postby parawolf » Fri 02 Feb 2018, 10:28 am

Watching a rapid response unit from Melbourne Council pull up behind a car in the Exhibition bike this morning, photograph and then ticket a car which I can only assume was an uber driver was awesome justice. They just fined them from the passenger seat of the car as the uber driver drove away! :lol: :lol:

Return to “Commuters discussion”