How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Canuck

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Canuck » Thu 09 Feb 2017, 3:04 pm

Stone Free wrote:Wind change has come through. Double tailwind bonus day.

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Thu 09 Feb 2017, 9:00 pm

Stone Free wrote:Wind change has come through. Double tailwind bonus day.

Lucky you - it was a double head wind day for me :(

The morning leg was the toughest though, the wind turned it into a real slog.

I was hoping for a tail wind for the return leg, however, the wind change came through before i finished work. Despite it being another head wind at least it was cool and moderated the baking heat we had earlier. Looking forward to more comfortable conditions tomorrow.

mb27

Postby mb27 » Thu 09 Feb 2017, 9:30 pm

double head wind on Beach Rd for me. Telling myself it's good training.

lard

Postby lard » Thu 09 Feb 2017, 10:03 pm

NightFallTech wrote:Must also note I came across a 2 rider accident on the GCT just after high street, others were attending so i didn't stop, but looks like a middle aged rider and an early teens kid riding to school collided on the curve after the underpass, possibly with one pulling our to go around peds.

Looked like cuts and bruises for the adult rider and sprained or fractured arm for the school kid.

People, please take it easy on the blind corners!

I came across that incident this morning as well. I didn't see what happened but it looked like a typical blind corner collision. That particular corner is especially bad as people come down the hill pretty fast into the slightly off camber corner that is often covered in sand after heavy rain. A mate from work came off there a coupla weeks ago.

I hope the older guy recovers soon, he looked to be in a bit of pain when I went buy, clutching his arm like he'd done an elbow or collarbone.

mb27

Postby mb27 » Thu 09 Feb 2017, 10:14 pm

That corner could do with an upgrade. take the off camber out, there is a big crack in the path just before the underpass heading south, should be a bit wider, maybe make it straiter after the bridge heading north before it kicks up to the road. i know riders should slow down, but....

Heather

Postby Heather » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 8:22 am

mb27 wrote:double head wind on Beach Rd for me. Telling myself it's good training.

Double tail wind today commuting from out north. Great fun! :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

Toyopet

Postby Toyopet » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 9:25 am

lard wrote:
NightFallTech wrote:Must also note I came across a 2 rider accident on the GCT just after high street, others were attending so i didn't stop, but looks like a middle aged rider and an early teens kid riding to school collided on the curve after the underpass, possibly with one pulling our to go around peds.

Looked like cuts and bruises for the adult rider and sprained or fractured arm for the school kid.

People, please take it easy on the blind corners!

I came across that incident this morning as well. I didn't see what happened but it looked like a typical blind corner collision. That particular corner is especially bad as people come down the hill pretty fast into the slightly off camber corner that is often covered in sand after heavy rain. A mate from work came off there a coupla weeks ago.

I hope the older guy recovers soon, he looked to be in a bit of pain when I went buy, clutching his arm like he'd done an elbow or collarbone.

I know the older rider.
Unfortunately he's now in hospital with a dislocated hand and suspected broken arm :cry:
He lost a lot of blood too.

Probably won't be spending too long in hospital, but he's a keen rider and this will certainly put a dampener on his riding :cry: :cry:

Helen

Postby Helen » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 9:31 am

And people wonder why people who aren't young, fit or 100% ablebodied are fearful of riding.
I'm really committed to keeping going but every single day I get a fright from some cowboy overtaking too closely, or in a place which is unsafe to overtake, or on a blind corner, or while a ped is on the path, or all of the above...
Governments are partly to blame. They know the risks of high speeds on winding two-lane blacktop highways with blind corners but they don't hesitate to apply these low design "values" to bike paths.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

stretts

Postby stretts » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 5:00 pm

Was riding home from town Wed night, was heading out via main yarra trail (i think.. not too familiar riding back home from city, usually commute from richmond to glen iris). Was pitch black so thought i'd better get off the trail to avoid any unsavoury characters - is this a problem usually or are the trails safe at night?

Anyway, jumped back to street level and had no idea where i was but it was a warm night and riding was good so went exploring. Ended up on church street which took me to Swan st which is basically start of my route home from work so no worries. Turning right on Swan St and the car behind me who id signalled to that i was turning right honked his horn at me, as if I am not a legitimate road user and should not be exercising my right to turn right. Weird.

Made my way toward the trail down Mary St, heading towards the underpass when I get the feeling I should probably not ride home along the trail at night. Turned round and decided to catch a train from Burnley - all lines bus replacements...except glen waverly! I was in luck. Hopped off at Tooronga and had a cheeky no helmet ride through the backstreets back to home.

Apart from the unsavoury motorist it was a pleasant evening of riding.

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 8:21 pm

Much cooler this morning with light winds. Almost got squeezed into the gutter by a car angling past too close for comfort, but had a wry smile to myself when I saw that their number plate started with 'UCI' ;)

Sunny with a light head wind for the ride home, and the ride was incident free which was nice. Had a swim in the bay afterwards and the conditions were just about perfect.

Shocker70

Postby Shocker70 » Fri 10 Feb 2017, 9:54 pm

stretts wrote:Was riding home from town Wed night, was heading out via main yarra trail (i think.. not too familiar riding back home from city, usually commute from richmond to glen iris). Was pitch black so thought i'd better get off the trail to avoid any unsavoury characters - is this a problem usually or are the trails safe at night?

Anyway, jumped back to street level and had no idea where i was but it was a warm night and riding was good so went exploring. Ended up on church street which took me to Swan st which is basically start of my route home from work so no worries. Turning right on Swan St and the car behind me who id signalled to that i was turning right honked his horn at me, as if I am not a legitimate road user and should not be exercising my right to turn right. Weird.

Made my way toward the trail down Mary St, heading towards the underpass when I get the feeling I should probably not ride home along the trail at night. Turned round and decided to catch a train from Burnley - all lines bus replacements...except glen waverly! I was in luck. Hopped off at Tooronga and had a cheeky no helmet ride through the backstreets back to home.

For the last Year on average twice a month I have ridden from the city along Main Yarra trail and Gardiners Creek trail (to just past High Street, Glen Iris) between 9 pm and 10 pm (was in fact doing so on Wednesday night). Can't say I remember ever having encountered any unsavoury situations. Just pedestrians/joggers kitted out for commando operations, and on one occasion a rabbit (I am surprised I haven't seen more wildlife).

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Sat 11 Feb 2017, 2:19 pm

Shocker70 wrote:
stretts wrote:Was riding home from town Wed night, was heading out via main yarra trail (i think.. not too familiar riding back home from city, usually commute from richmond to glen iris). Was pitch black so thought i'd better get off the trail to avoid any unsavoury characters - is this a problem usually or are the trails safe at night?

<snip>

For the last Year on average twice a month I have ridden from the city along Main Yarra trail and Gardiners Creek trail (to just past High Street, Glen Iris) between 9 pm and 10 pm (was in fact doing so on Wednesday night). Can't say I remember ever having encountered any unsavoury situations. Just pedestrians/joggers kitted out for commando operations, and on one occasion a rabbit (I am surprised I haven't seen more wildlife).

So stretts, seems you inadvertantly traded one unsavoury encounter for another ;)

I’ve done a bit (night trail commutes) in my 8+ years of riding and really ever only got the spooks one time last year when I thought I heard a rustle in the bushes and then someone chasing me on foot up near La Trobe Uni. Still don’t know if I was imagining it or not - didn’t stop to find out. There was also the time I encountered a bunch of young guys who’d made a large fire beside the Darebin Ck Trail under the Bell St Bridge but they didn’t seem to care about me. Plus there was that time a few years ago when on the Plenty River Trail I unwittingly encountered a couple of guys in the throws of passionate intimacy. That was a little embarrassing but mostly for them – talk about rabbits in a headlight!
velocified

stretts

Postby stretts » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 8:09 am

Magnus tG wrote:
So stretts, seems you inadvertantly traded one unsavoury encounter for another ;)

I’ve done a bit (night trail commutes) in my 8+ years of riding and really ever only got the spooks one time last year when I thought I heard a rustle in the bushes and then someone chasing me on foot up near La Trobe Uni. Still don’t know if I was imagining it or not - didn’t stop to find out. There was also the time I encountered a bunch of young guys who’d made a large fire beside the Darebin Ck Trail under the Bell St Bridge but they didn’t seem to care about me. Plus there was that time a few years ago when on the Plenty River Trail I unwittingly encountered a couple of guys in the throws of passionate intimacy. That was a little embarrassing but mostly for them – talk about rabbits in a headlight!

Hah that would have been a sight to behold!

Shocker70 wrote:

Sounds like I should be fine then - thanks

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 8:53 am

Back into work again this morning, I wasn't sure if it was going to rain or not. There were a few spots of drizzle, but not really much more than that. It was surprisingly cool when I set off and I noticed that the mornings are definitely starting to get darker again. On my way through the cutting near Royal Park I saw a few blue wrens hopping about, so that was nice little bonus.

NightFallTech

Postby NightFallTech » Mon 13 Feb 2017, 1:52 pm

Shocker70 wrote:For the last Year on average twice a month I have ridden from the city along Main Yarra trail and Gardiners Creek trail (to just past High Street, Glen Iris) between 9 pm and 10 pm (was in fact doing so on Wednesday night). Can't say I remember ever having encountered any unsavoury situations. Just pedestrians/joggers kitted out for commando operations, and on one occasion a rabbit (I am surprised I haven't seen more wildlife).

have commuted along MYT, GCT & Blind creek trail 2-3x per night during winter for 3 years, and the occasional evening ride along MYT, KCT, Eastlink, Dandenong Creek Trail, Ringwood->Belgrave rail trail.

Have never come across unsavoury characters..

Lots of rabbits and foxes out along Blind creek though.

Return to “Commuters discussion”