How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Claude Cat

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 06 Jun 2016, 9:30 am

Lots of rage today.

Cold showers. :evil:

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Mon 06 Jun 2016, 8:00 pm

First ride in a week after picking up a very nasty, chesty cough. Dry with a cool head wind for the ride in, and only a few coughing fits.

Clouding over but it stayed dry for the ride home, and the lungs and throat felt a bit easier too. Taking the car in for a service tomorrow, hopefully it will be the last day off the bike for a while.

mb27

Postby mb27 » Mon 06 Jun 2016, 10:55 pm

great day for a ride. got some drizzle on the myt. not too many riders about. don't read the weather report. it's 'usually' not as bad as what they say. there is always that one day it does.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 5:41 am

Puncture faery has it in for me this month..... sealant worked this time though :D Topped up with some air and off we go again. Winner!
Reaching new levels of softness!

NightFallTech

Postby NightFallTech » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:30 am

mb27 wrote:great day for a ride. got some drizzle on the myt. not too many riders about. don't read the weather report. it's 'usually' not as bad as what they say. there is always that one day it does.

Rode in late, a bit of light drizzle at 8am in ferntree gully, but nice and about 10-11 degrees the rest of the way, I hear i might get wet on the way home though.

Caad has a bit of a creak when pedalling hard/standing... will regrease the pedals, hoping its not the BB30 bracket deciding to be a pain.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 10:36 am

Much better today, showers were hot. :D

Seems we've settled down to the usual winter levels of traffic on the MYT.
Hopefully the showers have cleared off for the evening commute.

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 11:34 am

First oil change on the Rohloff last night. You could almost call 7th gear quiet now. :D

Does the normal rule about "it rains when I clean and lube my drivetrain" apply when it's a sealed hub?

Puffing Colly

Postby Puffing Colly » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 4:07 pm

Note to self: if you have to stop to put on your rain jacket, also put on your shoe covers :(

H

Postby H » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 7:45 pm

Rang Vicroads regarding the light sequence at the Footscray rd / citylink intersection. It's been playing up the past couple of mornings. Apparently there's a fault which will take about a week to fix, so we'll just have to put up with short sequences and much button pushing!

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 8:14 pm

Big sweat fest on the way home.

Humid and warm. Also one of those tail winds that makes it feel like the air isn't moving around you.

NightFallTech

Postby NightFallTech » Tue 07 Jun 2016, 9:02 pm

Damp paths on the way home and rained on me for the last 10km, must have been a good tailwind though, i hit 50kph on burnley blvd for the first time ever

Gerry.M

Postby Gerry.M » Wed 08 Jun 2016, 8:19 am

Going home last night there was lots of commotion around Mary St in Burnley thanks to the transformer exploding!
http://www.3aw.com.au/news/burnley-powe ... pdo9d.html

Street was closed to through traffic with lots of police cars and fire trucks plus two choppers hovering overhead.
Reading about the delays on the trains I was glad to be on the bike.

Was nice and warm - and dry until around 3/4 of the way home when it started raining. Nothing too heavy and managed to make it home without getting totally soaked.

Left early this morning so hopefully I can leave early this afternoon and beat the weather, but looking at the radar it may hit us earlier than expected.
Gentlemen, this is democracy manifest

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Wed 08 Jun 2016, 9:30 am

Rode to North Melb return yesterday in plain clothes - bad idea, as it rained steadily all the way home, and I was in jeans :roll: Decided I would wear riding gear for the commute today even though the rain isn't forecast til later (do.not.trust.forecast.completely.ever.) as I do not like the idea of sitting at work in wet clothing.

Drove The Boy to childcare then returned home to hop on the bike...and realised I had set down my phone and wallet at childcare and forgotten them there :evil: Drove back and forth again. Sigh. So much for fewer kms there. Then juuuuust made it to work on time: 8:57am.

The ride was dry with some tailwind - noice. Wore riding shoes today, too, unlike the runners I have been lately, and it felt so much safer being clipped in, funnily. Riding in runners the other day in the rain I kept waiting to have one of my feet slide off the metal pedals. :roll:

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Wed 08 Jun 2016, 10:05 am

https://www.instagram.com/p/BGXyW4Axp-z/

This guy thought it was REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY important to get in front of that slow cyclist, even though something was clearly wrong with his car and his hazards were already on.

weg

Postby weg » Wed 08 Jun 2016, 10:38 am

Snuffy wrote:https://www.instagram.com/p/BGXyW4Axp-z/

This guy thought it was REALLY REALLY REALLY REALLY important to get in front of that slow cyclist, even though something was clearly wrong with his car and his hazards were already on.

:lol: Hawthorn, BMW. You know it makes sense.

Return to “Commuters discussion”