How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Snuffy » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:01 am

First day back at the office today after a couple of weeks of poor sleep.

Where did all of these new hills come from?

Humph
Reaching new levels of softness!

NightFallTech

Postby NightFallTech » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:31 am

Nice ride in today, even a couple of short PR's, but generally a nice cruise inwards.

Helen

Postby Helen » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:41 am

Nice to see you back Yanapv.
Hugs to everyone with a loved one with cancer. I lost two very treasured friends last year.
Wagger your story is ... hair raising. Glad you are still rubber side down :)

ObCommute: Mr Bianchi, the guy I set my clock by, is back on the path. I thought of saying "Hello Mr Bianchi, happy new year!" But that would have been weird and creepy.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 11:24 am

It was very nice.
Lots of riders by the time I reached the pontoons on the MYR, but everybody was well behaved, no crazy passing maneuvers observed.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 3:22 pm

Helen wrote:ObCommute: Mr Bianchi, the guy I set my clock by, is back on the path. I thought of saying "Hello Mr Bianchi, happy new year!" But that would have been weird and creepy.

Not weird at all! I struck up a conversation with a regular walker because we always crossed paths on my thrice-weekly jog. We talked to the extent that he knew that I was moving, we said our goodbyes on the last day I ran there and when I stopped appearing he would have known I was okay and had actually just moved house instead of something nefarious happening! :P

So say hello next time he passes. I've already started building hello relationships with the regulars on my new jog route. A smile goes a long way. :D

Had my first honker and shouter of the year on Thursday in a ute. He did not appreciate me claiming the left lane into the Queen Vic roundabout, even though I held him up for 0 seconds as I turned left at the roundabout and he got stuck in peak hour traffic going straight towards Victoria. I think that is a great improvement as I'm pretty sure I got abuse last year on the first or second day back. This time it was only the 4th day back. Haha.

Sick day on Friday meant no rides.

This morning the fact that I shaved my legs (which I hadn't done for way too long) must have been the real reason why I was flying down the shared path... Nothing to do with the tailwind, no no... Said tailwind will be a not-so-lovely hot headwind on the way home. Oh well. It was fun while it lasted! :P

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 3:52 pm

Helen wrote:Wagger your story is ... hair raising. Glad you are still rubber side down :)

That's be great, if I had any hair to raise :lol:

I can honestly say I've had my hair fall out 3 times now :lol: ...and the last time it never grew back alas..... :cry: ...meh

December 2002 - 1st bout
July 2007 - 2nd bout
December 2007 - autologous transplant
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 3:58 pm

Summernight wrote:Had my first honker and shouter of the year on Thursday in a ute. He did not appreciate me claiming the left lane into the Queen Vic roundabout, even though I held him up for 0 seconds as I turned left at the roundabout and he got stuck in peak hour traffic going straight towards Victoria. I think that is a great improvement as I'm pretty sure I got abuse last year on the first or second day back. This time it was only the 4th day back. Haha.

Is this the Dudley street roundabout? Cnr Dudley, William and Peel streets?

If it gives you any comfort, the few times a year I ride through there I always claim the lane northbound on Peel and I have seen heaps of cyclists claim the lane there heading northbound, and even southbound. If traffic is banked up heading north, I'll lane split so I don't have to worry about cars turning left into Dudley.

I don't claim the lane southbound, purely because you can sneak through on the left side as most cars stop to give way and you can easily get through with cars already in the intersection - just need to watch those cars turning left into the side street next to the market, but they generally watch for cyclists.

Think you just encountered a d!ckhead....
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

ajft

Postby ajft » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 4:35 pm

akashra wrote:I never understood idiots who insisted on passing people through there. They can't just let up for a few hundred metres and pass once it all get back aboveground?

Years of commuting "against the flow" on the GCT have probably taken an equal number of years off my life. Praise FSM I don't do it any longer. It was pretty much a daily occurrence along there to have to swerve either off the path or onto the very edge of it to make way for 2/3/4 across commuter-racers. A headon one morning and two dislocated shoulders was a low point -- the gentleman heading towards me decided to pull out and overtake the two women riding side-by-side towards me.
akashra wrote:Must say, that's one part of commuting to the East that I don't miss. Going North now I just have to worry about all those long sweeping blind underpasses that people take way too fast right on or over the line. I've had one bike written off by a douchebag hitting me head on when he was on the wrong side of the path.

Somewhere out near Ferntree gully there was an underpass that nearly broke my neck, I managed to hit a small bump, half-stand and then collect my helmet on the big piece of rubber labelled "do not hit head here". Truly world's best practice in bike path design...

Today, no commute. working from home.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 18 Jan 2016, 9:32 pm

Snuffy wrote:First day back at the office today after a couple of weeks of poor sleep.

:D

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 8:04 am

Helen wrote: I thought of saying "Hello Mr Bianchi, happy new year!" But that would have been weird and creepy.

THats why you should do it :P

NightFallTech

Postby NightFallTech » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 9:52 am

ajft wrote:Somewhere out near Ferntree gully there was an underpass that nearly broke my neck, I managed to hit a small bump, half-stand and then collect my helmet on the big piece of rubber labelled "do not hit head here". Truly world's best practice in bike path design...

I'm familiar with the blind creek trail underpasses... especially as a tall rider... I detour around most of them, but the Lewis road one is going to get me one day.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue 19 Jan 2016, 10:52 am

wagger wrote:
Summernight wrote:Had my first honker and shouter of the year on Thursday in a ute. He did not appreciate me claiming the left lane into the Queen Vic roundabout, even though I held him up for 0 seconds as I turned left at the roundabout and he got stuck in peak hour traffic going straight towards Victoria. I think that is a great improvement as I'm pretty sure I got abuse last year on the first or second day back. This time it was only the 4th day back. Haha.

Is this the Dudley street roundabout? Cnr Dudley, William and Peel streets?
Think you just encountered a d!ckhead....

Yep and yep. :)

I tried the Southbound entrance to that roundabout, but worked out that not using Peel Street was a better and faster way to get to work so now I go down Capel and the continuation of William Street then turn left into Dudley and hop into the right turning roundabout traffic that way. Much, much faster and less stress going down quiet side streets than filtering beside stationary cars and multiple traffic lights in Peel. :)

Last night the wind had changed direction so I had a semi-tailwind on the way home. Two tailwinds in one day! Woohoo!

As I was waiting to turn right into William Street just before the roundabout (from the Queen Vic car park traffic lights) some carriage horses went past. One of the horses was clearly limping (lame is the appropriate horsey term :P). I thought about riding after them and letting the driver know, but then saw they had their mobile number on the back plate, so read that out to my cameras and then kept riding home. I called the number when I got home 20 minutes later, but on the first try I heard one number wrong on the camera footage and called some random who was very perplexed as to why she was being called by a crazy lady to say a carriage horse was lame. She said at the end "I don't even own a horse." Whoops. I apologised and re-checked the number... When I plugged the correct digit and number into my phone it popped up as an already known contact... Turned out it was the same people who we hired our wedding carriage from.

So I called, and the owner confirmed they knew that horse was lame and that a float was coming to pick him up from where he was in the city. I thanked him for noticing and caring for his horse and not making it continue working while injured.

Embarrassing story for me! :P

Headwind on the way in this morning reduced my speed back to a frustrating 23-25kph. I'm looking forward to seeing when Reno Rumble comes out to see if they shot footage of the shared path beside the river and whether I happen to be on it in the shot! :)

LovinDirt

Postby LovinDirt » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 7:49 am

Moist
Stay dirty, my friends!

HughieP

Postby HughieP » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 8:08 am

You can send some of that moist down south. Very smokey commute in today for the third day straight. Much thicker this morning as well.

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Wed 20 Jan 2016, 8:14 am

First ride of 2016 and what a morning I picked! Very moist indeed. Nice temp and generally good conditions apart from the rain. But hey, you can't pick and choose.

Return to “Commuters discussion”