How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
canters

Re: How was your commute today

Postby canters » Tue 12 Jan 2016, 7:36 pm

NightFallTech wrote:Garmin issues this morning, lost the first 12km of my ride <sob>
Also had a very close pass from a car cresting coleman parade, chased him down the hill and gave him a peice of my mind at the lights.

in good news, I averaged 29.1km/h from Glen Waverley to the office door with a few PR's along gardiners creek (35.9kph high street to velodrome), the rove is working out well as a commuter.

The comment in bold above "35.9kph high street to velodrome" is nothing to be proud of on this part of the Gardiners Creek - it was particularly busy along the trail today (as others have commented today). Travelling at that average speed is just putting others at danger!

THINK A LITTLE BEFORE ACTING LIKE A JERK ON THE GARDINERS CREEK TRAIL!!

fixie

Postby fixie » Tue 12 Jan 2016, 8:30 pm

canters wrote:
The comment in bold above "35.9kph high street to velodrome" is nothing to be proud of on this part of the Gardiners Creek - it was particularly busy along the trail today (as others have commented today). Travelling at that average speed is just putting others at danger!

+1
Stay fixed. Keeping a cool head.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Tue 12 Jan 2016, 8:37 pm

I usually depart the GC trail at Zodiac court in Ashwood. I go straight up Leopold and down Bath to meet up with the trail again at Great valley road (and cut off about 3 or 4 km from the distance) The thing is that there were always these treated pine posts and fence on the Zodiac Court side of the Creek. Supposedly designed to force riders to get off and walk. You do have to slow a bit but in 18 years I've never actually had to get off. And today I find that the posts have actually been removed! Seems like some kind of acknowledgement that it's a bike bridge as well as a pedestrian bridge. I think I'll miss the challenge of navigating the narrow zigzag without dismounting.

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Tue 12 Jan 2016, 8:42 pm

Summernight wrote:..... Pumped up the tyres from what looked to be 40psi back to the usual 100. Oops. :oops:

100psi? What size tyres? As a very general rule you would only use that kind of pressure for 23-25 mm.

fixie

Postby fixie » Tue 12 Jan 2016, 9:22 pm

Here is a useful tool for calculating the optimal tyre pressure. It takes into account your weight, the bike's weight, the tyre size, the terrain. Based on well validated research. You may be well surprised at the suggestions, but try them and see for yourself. Takes into account losses due to rough surfaces as well as ideally smooth roads. You chose.

Magnus tG

Postby Magnus tG » Tue 12 Jan 2016, 10:35 pm

nezumi wrote:
Magnus tG wrote:Did anyone else see the lamp and vase with flowers sitting on a side table inside a bus shelter outide the old paper mills on H'berg Rd this morning? I should have taken a foto - made my day 8-)

Saw that as I zoomed past. Looked very cool.

Still there this AM. More elaborate than I remembered.

velocified

clipperton

Postby clipperton » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 7:41 am

Magnus tG wrote:
nezumi wrote:
Magnus tG wrote:Did anyone else see the lamp and vase with flowers sitting on a side table inside a bus shelter outide the old paper mills on H'berg Rd this morning? I should have taken a foto - made my day 8-)

I've been watching it too, I think the national geographic is a new addition.

back on the bike just before xmas after 2 months off with that pesky broken wrist. starting to feel like I know what my legs are for again.
Clipperton plays tennis with the Glock 17 held steadily to his left temple.

fixie

Postby fixie » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 8:20 am

Magnus tG wrote:
nezumi wrote:

There was a similar one at Everton on the Midland Highway I recall which even ran to an entertainment centre, was cared for and changed periodically. Street/community Art at it's best. 8-)

I never saw any sign of vandalism.

LovinDirt

Postby LovinDirt » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 8:37 am

fixie wrote:Here is a useful tool for calculating the optimal tyre pressure. It takes into account your weight, the bike's weight, the tyre size, the terrain. Based on well validated research. You may be well surprised at the suggestions, but try them and see for yourself. Takes into account losses due to rough surfaces as well as ideally smooth roads. You chose.

Ran that for a giggle. Recommended pressures at 0.84 and 1.5 bar (12 and 21psi). Yeah, nah... 40 and it squirms around too much. To put it in perspective I generally run between 50 and 60 psi for the road.

Great morning for a ride!
Stay dirty, my friends!

NightFallTech

Postby NightFallTech » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 8:57 am

canters wrote:
NightFallTech wrote:Garmin issues this morning, lost the first 12km of my ride <sob>
Also had a very close pass from a car cresting coleman parade, chased him down the hill and gave him a peice of my mind at the lights.

in good news, I averaged 29.1km/h from Glen Waverley to the office door with a few PR's along gardiners creek (35.9kph high street to velodrome), the rove is working out well as a commuter.

It wasn't busy at closer to 10am when i was riding in after sleeping in, dead quiet actually and I had good sight lines, well able to brake in half the visible space in front of me. sorry if that offends you.. I was following another rider who left me in the dust on that ride as well.

My strava group Coffee commute train hit about 38/39kph a few times on the GCT this morning...

Others have different points of view, but with my distance from work and my available time, my commute is my workout, I know a few people that average 33kph+ for 25km+ into the city on the paths.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 11:03 am

There was a similar one at Everton on the Midland Highway

It was opposite the Everton General Store on the Great Alpine Road in the bus shelter. I have a pic taken on tour some years back.

Edit (not my pic)

Last edited by UJ1 on Wed 13 Jan 2016, 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.

Percrime
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Percrime » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 11:09 am

Got to say its blind corner overtakes and people who fail to stay on their side that make GCT dangerous. NOT speed as such.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 11:16 am

That bus stop lounge room is brilliant! :D

Ritch

Postby Ritch » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 11:20 am

Percrime wrote:Got to say its blind corner overtakes and people who fail to stay on their side that make GCT dangerous. NOT speed as such.

Pretty much agree with that. Nonetheless it is fair to say that large differences in speed for riders using the path can make the margin for error a bit smaller than otherwise and a group of five or six hammering along in the high thirties increases the frequency of blind corner overtakes and staying on the left. Travelling in the opposite direction on any of the major paths at peak hour can be quite worrying at times for that reason. I'm not one for over-regulation of things, so as long as commonsense and courtesy is applied then have at it.

Ritch

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Wed 13 Jan 2016, 12:42 pm

Percrime wrote:Got to say its blind corner overtakes and people who fail to stay on their side that make GCT dangerous. NOT speed as such.

This.
You see it every day, and wonder what's the rush. The number of times I've been patiently waiting to pass a slower rider (usually, not the only one waiting too) only to have some idiot pass the group at some insanely dangerous spot.

Return to “Commuters discussion”