How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
UJ1

Re: How was your commute today

Postby UJ1 » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 5:38 pm

I've "enjoyed" reading of your daily battles on the roads of Oakleigh and I think it's line ball with Summernight the number of interactions with motorists per trip. She's gone west and her reports about the conflict around Elizabeth St and Albert St seem distant memories. One day I'll venture down your way to the city that boasts "the first motel in Vic" as I hear the Greek sweets are to die for. ;)

ajft

Postby ajft » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 5:55 pm

UJ1 wrote:I've "enjoyed" reading of your daily battles on the roads of Oakleigh and I think it's line ball with Summernight the number of interactions with motorists per trip. She's gone west and her reports about the conflict around Elizabeth St and Albert St seem distant memories. One day I'll venture down your way to the city that boasts "the first motel in Vic" as I hear the Greek sweets are to die for. ;)

The motel is a townhouse development now, but some of the buildings and the sign are still there. Interestingly, the Oakleigh motel is in Clayton, I've got a photo of it from 2010:
The Oakleigh Motel - In 1956 Victoria's first motel

The sweets are good. Judging by the BMI and ciggies per hour of many of the Greek cafe patrons I'd hazard a guess that "to die for" is an accurate description.

UJ1

Postby UJ1 » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 6:23 pm

:lol: Yes the Kafeneio down the end of my street and Koutouki opposite have similar patrons.
Like the pic, I remember passing it from the early 60s when it seemed so "Hollywood" and sophisticated.

Dcyclist

Postby Dcyclist » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 10:37 pm

^ Brings back a few memories. I don't get over that way very much now. But I grew up in Clayton and Okahlee. I remember both the motel, and when I was in first grade at Clayton South, Clayton Rd. being sealed.
It was my final cycling commute for the year today as well. Roads were generally quieter, but the agro idiot factor seemed to be higher.
Dave
Bianchi Via Nirone
Merida Scultura EVO 904

smitty

Postby smitty » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 7:23 am

Quite roads
Sensational weather
empty bike racks
nice start to the day

TrikeTragic

Postby TrikeTragic » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 7:25 am

Slightly different commute today - son down from Sydney, needed to borrow my car for the day so:
Ride in: Mixed mode commute, ride folder to Eltham (from Briar Hill) train to Heidelberg, hop off and ride Heidelberg Rd to the city. Sort of overlaps my usual commute.
Ride home: Figured I'd try the Main Yarra Trail & Plenty River trail route after a decent look-see on Google Maps. Coming out of CBD, ended up on Smith St Collingwood for about 500 metres, not the bike-friendliest road. Missed the right entry onto MYT, jagged it by using the Merri Creek trail for a bit. City end of MYT interesting, I'm not sure I'd like to try the pipe bridge on a wet day and the climb heading away from it, well, tested the legs. Once I reached the more familiar bits around Fairfield, quite enjoyed all of that, pootled along the Yarra Flats, jagged up the incline after the bridge at Templestowe.
I've never ridden the Plenty River Trail before, decent climb away from the MYT, steep concrete paved section, then looooong grind on good gravel surface up the hill to the Banyule silos. Had to walk a bit here, legs protesteth too much. Rolled along without too much incident after that, although nearly got cleaned up by a MTB (maybe electric-boosted) powering up a gravel incline with a few blind corners, me under brakes coming down. Senior gent riding the MTB barely maintained control as he zoomed past. Near Lwr Plenty Rd, sealed surface following the creek, good ride until my exit onto para Rd. Then the climb up the hill to Montmorency shops and onwards. One hour forty ride time, 28 kms. Total time about the same a my usual 16 km ride - 11 km drive commute.
Observations / comments:
Some sections of MYT really not great quality infrastructure for what is / should be a significant bicycle commute route from the north east, specifically the steep, narrow climb/dive under the Templestowe bridge, and the broken surface from there to the beginning of the paved section outbound from there. Riders accessing the underpass from opposite directions would need to be extra careful, and conditions dry, to pass safely I reckon. Not sure how many bike-bike collisions happen as a consequence.
Is there a plan to pave the Yarra flats section sometime this millennium?

Cheers (Merry Christmas)

Alan
Trikester
Alan

wagger

Postby wagger » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 7:36 am

Awake at 4am. On the bike by 4:30am.

Have a few things going on that are causing stress, so i am finding i am a bit jumpy on the bike. And riding to work in darkness and having people step out of the shadows certainly isnt helping with the nerves.

Few cyclists out before 5:30am.

Tradies have finished for christmas, so roads were a lot quieter

Will be interesting to see if the velo cycles counter on the CCT reaches 1m in the next 2 weeks
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Remote Controller

Postby Remote Controller » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 8:02 am

Back on the bike for 9 months now.
About... 3500km.
Just so easy to roll out of bed at 0445 and ride 15km to work, without even thinking about it.

It's nice.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 10:33 am

UJ1 wrote:I've "enjoyed" reading of your daily battles on the roads of Oakleigh and I think it's line ball with Summernight the number of interactions with motorists per trip. She's gone west and her reports about the conflict around Elizabeth St and Albert St seem distant memories. One day I'll venture down your way to the city that boasts "the first motel in Vic" as I hear the Greek sweets are to die for. ;)

Yup. Go West... Life is peaceful there. :lol: (well, technically it is North-West)

Only have to worry about aggressive ducks and the odd ped and their dog for 5.5kms now, and the backstreets of Kensington and North Melbourne for another 5.5. Oh, and the regular headwinds. The only pinch point is around the Queen Victoria Market and then the few blocks along Queen Street to work, but since I'm coming from a dead-end street at the QVM, it is still way less stress than Collins, Albert and Elizabeth Streets. I'll gladly cede the title of battle king/queen to AJFT.

Speaking of AJFT, love the cycling map of your Melbourne you've created. :)

Last ride into work this morning for the year. Was late to work, couldn't be bothered pushing it and had a pleasant ride. :)

Last night on the way home I bumped into my father (not literally) as he lives on my new commute route. Took video for him using the bicycle mounted GoPro as he wants to sell something and needed video for potential purchasers so I offered to help considering I ride with three. The camera can be used for more than just Oh Carp! moments! :P

akashra

Postby akashra » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 11:43 am

Ugh I was so wrecked after last nights ride home. In fact I just crawled home. Realised doing the math in my head while riding that I had done 380km in the seven preceding days - not a lot in the grand scheme of things but way more than I'm trained for lately. Have done >230km/week for the last six weeks and it's starting to catch up (the training however is not).

And from tomorrow to new year the plan is for >500kms, much of that in the alpine regions (Hotham, Dinner Plain, Falls, Buffalo), so need some rest.

H

Postby H » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 12:36 pm

Last commute of the year. Think I missed two days of commuting by bike all year, not bad. Now to get a few recreational rides in before I go back to work on the 18th...

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 1:20 pm

[quote="TrikeTragic"].....
Is there a plan to pave the Yarra flats section sometime this millennium?

Cheers (Merry Christmas)

Alan[/quote]
I bloody well hope NOT !! That's one of the best gravel paths around, absolutely no need to pave it. Nice and wide plenty of clear space around it and the locals love it just as it is. The adjacent section of The Boulevarde has remained un-made and potholed for years because the locals prefer it that way as well. Keeps it from becoming a rat-run between Burke Rd and Banksia St.

Plenty of alternate on road routes for any fussy commuters.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Stephen

Postby Stephen » Wed 23 Dec 2015, 9:49 pm

Last day at work for the year and I knew it would be easy so I turned off the alarm and tried to sleep in, but my bladder wouldn't let me so I was on the road by 7. Not too many bikes on the GC trail until I was overtaken by a group near Tooronga then I just sucked wheel until my turnoff. Then they let us go at midday so it was an easy ride home too.

After I got home the missus asked if I knew about the bicycle/car collision where the GC trail crosses High St in Ashwood. I take the Zodiac Court shortcut so I miss that section when commuting. She said that the ambulance was there for ages and there was a bike laying nearby. Does anyone know what happened? I can't find any reports.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 8:38 am

Last commute of the year and the traffic was very light this morning, except for around the Vic Market, where it was heavily congested.

Going through the Haymarket roundabout, a lady in a blue Mazda cut well into the bike lane and squeezed me right up against the gutter. I'd noticed earlier when stopped at the lights on Royal Pde that she was holding her phone in her lap an staring down at it. Sure enough, we got out of the roundabout onto Peel St and she stopped in the congestion, she was looking down at her lap again, mobile in hand. I tapped on her window and gave her a piece of my mind. I didn't swear and I wasn't abusive, but I was pretty forthright, telling her to put down her phone and concentrate on her driving, because it was it was my safety that she'd compromised and me that she'd put in danger with her bad driving. She didn't argue back, just stared at me with her mouth open, so hopefully she got the message and will think twice next time.

wagger

Postby wagger » Thu 24 Dec 2015, 11:31 am

Decided to sleep in until 5:10am....

Quieter ride in. Hoping to leave early today, but doubtful...:
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Return to “Commuters discussion”