How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
ajft

Re: How was your commute today

Postby ajft » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:49 pm

Sitting around at work a bit after five having a quiet beer and the phone bleeps with a summons from a higher authority -- time to go so she can go to her work Christmas party. Yay, the weather had cooled off a touch so it wasn't as hot as yesterday, but clearly it wasn't cool enough for Metro -- the rail infrastructure along the Pakenham line appears to be made of chocolate and thus had melted. There was a train stopped at every set of signals and they were shuffling one out, one in of every block. I raced an empty train from Huntingdale to Oakleigh as it sat on the blistering speed of 32km/hr, then I left it for dead as it too had to stop. Got to within 15m of home and all that's left to do is cross the closed pedestrian crossing gates... Bugger, there's about ten other cyclists waiting there and they've been there a _long_ time. Turn around, ride back to Oakleigh and over the Warrigal rd bridge (mea culpa, I may have ridden on 't footpath), back onto the southside of the tracks and made it home in time to see the pedestrian crossing gates have opened and are now closing again. I'm really not sure how well they'll function if any more trains get shoe-horned in on this line!

Only two more days of commuting this year then that's it for the working part of 2015.

weg

Postby weg » Sat 19 Dec 2015, 6:00 pm

Morning wasn't too bad, but a hot and windy ride home. Side streets like furnace canyons. Saw 44.4 on the Garmin.

Heather

Postby Heather » Sat 19 Dec 2015, 10:27 pm

weg wrote:Saw 44.4 on the Garmin.

Ouch!
I'm not bossy, I just have better ideas!

elizabethj

Postby elizabethj » Sun 20 Dec 2015, 1:46 pm

Daicos Mullets wrote:I'll be freezing my water bottles again in preparation for this afternoon.

Noted for next ride :geek:

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 21 Dec 2015, 7:02 am

Got woken up by my "houso" neighbour screaming @ her 3 year old kid in the street @ 12:30am. Couldn't get back to sleep.

Decided to get up @ 3:15am and on the bike @ 3:45am.

Decided not to do mylong ride around the MYT as the last time I did it, I met someone underneath the Eastern Freeway on the MYT @ 4am who scared the bejesus out of me.

Did the CCT and still met 3 drunken groups and 2 cyclists without any lights b/w 4am - 4:30am.

Medibank Icehouse Arena is now the "O'Brien Group Arena" so the neon light now reads. didn't know the sponsorship had changed.

Even had the distinction of seeing the trains starting off from the yards underneath Citylink just after 4am.

Mostly saw trucks and taxis at that hour of the morning.

Been sitting @ my desk since 5am.

The plan is to leave work @ midday after I've done my 8 hours (can't really add up).....ha ha.....
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 21 Dec 2015, 7:23 am

40 degrees all weekend

Pounded by rain for the last 10 minutes of my commute

#MelbourneWeather
Reaching new levels of softness!

michael_w

Postby michael_w » Mon 21 Dec 2015, 9:03 am

Gorgeous ride in this morning along the Koonung Creek Trail/MYT. The light rain was welcome relief in comparison to what we've been experiencing the last few days.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Mon 21 Dec 2015, 4:43 pm

Thanks for the visor tips, people! Love the disco visor. Harharhar. That Mapei one is on the money, but needs less Mapei, more rainbow. I do love the Mapei jerseys though.

Headwind on the way in, but at least it wasn't scorching! Hopefully it remains in the same direction and I can have a lovely tailwind on the way home. :)

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 21 Dec 2015, 4:51 pm

Stuck to my word, left work at 1:30pm, so did my super duper commute around the MYT.

Very tired, sluggish ride into a head wind. Or maybe I was over tired
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Helen

Postby Helen » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 9:47 am

Happy Festivus/Xmas/Hanukkah/Solstice to all! No more work commutes for me until mid January. Hope everyone has a wonderful break and that nobody fries in the sun or crashes their bike!
Hope to give you a wave if anyone is on the *recreational* bike path from Maribyrnong to Brimbank Park or Westgate Punt to St Kilda.
"The revolution will not be motorised"

NightFallTech

Postby NightFallTech » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 9:57 am

Did a 'short' (16km) commute in today from half way on the singlespeed... extra energy

Veloviewer/strava tell me my PR has improved From 279th to 68th (of 7454) on "shoot through" :), along with a few other segment improvements.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 10:19 am

wagger wrote:
Daicos Mullets wrote:It was hot and hard work into the headwind last night. Tonight's forecast to be even hotter and I noticed a decent tailwind on my way in this morning, so I can look forward to a parching headwind again on the way home. I'll be freezing my water bottles again in preparation for this afternoon.

Last night I decided to take the main yarra trail around to Yarra Bend Park, before headin north from there. It was well shaded and a few degrees cooler along the banks of the yarra. For me it is 19km to YBP, longer, but a much more comfortable ride on stinking hot days with strong dry northerlies

The MYT really takes me a long way out of my way. The Merri Creek would probably a better option for me instead.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 10:40 am

I pushed myself this morning, trying to keep up with a couple of faster riders in front of me. It meant that I got a few PRs, but they still left me behind! I also went the longer way, via the zoo and Docklands, because it was such a nice morning. As a result I arrived at work invigorated, but my legs felt quite spent.

On my commute home tonight I'll hit 9,000 km for the year (12 km to go), so I'm pretty happy with that effort. I'll have to make the time to do some recreational rides during the office shut down, otherwise I'll come back in early January and feel very sluggish with no riding for 10 or so days.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 2:48 pm

Congratulations Daicos Mullets! Great achievement!

Headwind in again this morning, but if it turns out like yesterday, it'll be a pleasant ride home. :)

ajft

Postby ajft » Tue 22 Dec 2015, 5:27 pm

Last commute of the year over and done. Tandem today as I was combining last day of work with school holiday child minding, so I had an assistant for a very quiet day at work.
1) the tandem does fit around the 180° turn on the footbridge over D'nong road, but only just
2) some of Okkalee's finest motorists really do not give a *#@$@# and are just as happy to skim my right elbow when I'm on a tandem with a 7yr old as they are when I'm on a bike by myself
3) the learner driver who stopped in the middle of the road to let me turn right across in front of him "as instructed" should get himself a new instructor, the driver behind you was not expecting that and it confuses the #@#$ out of everyone.
4) the ride home along Scotchmans creek trail was much less eventful

Time for some quick nerdisms. Let me see, 434 GPX tracks for the year with "commute" in their name. Hunt up that useful perl script from 2011 and here's where I commuted for the year (up to you to fit this onto the map 'o Melbourne):
commute-bike-2015 by Adrian Tritschler, on Flickr

Return to “Commuters discussion”