How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Ritch

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Ritch » Wed 16 Dec 2015, 2:56 pm

Summernight wrote:
How much of a detour? I looked at the map and it looked like a couple of kms instead of 100m? I'd prefer to do the stairs than another few kms. :lol:

And the amount of cars who also use that estate to cut through is significant too. Should be fun when the Metro Tunnel works and compulsory land acquisition blocks one side of the estate's entrance/exit and takes out the street closest to the rail lines!

From the entrance to the corner of Childers/Kensington Rd, the Dynon Rd path is 2.2km vs 1.2km taking the direct and slightly naughty way. If you discover the gate is closed, then doing the U-turn and going back over Arden St bridge is 1.6km but you have to carry your bike up the stairs. If you have a really heavy bike, then the longer way is probably easier.

Ritch

elizabethj

Postby elizabethj » Wed 16 Dec 2015, 10:41 pm

Two words...

BLOODY BRILLIANT

:D :mrgreen: :D

wagger

Postby wagger » Thu 17 Dec 2015, 7:19 am

My work's aircon doesn't turn on until 8am. I am usually at my desk my 6:30am. Sitting here sweating away at my desk.

Glorious morning for a ride. Whilst great cycling weather, wouldnt mind a bit of rain. The oval alongside the CCT is turning a light shade of brown, as is parts of the royal park golf course

Is it wrong of me to think of xmas as a 4 day break from work rather than a time to catch up with family? (I will be catching up with family and friends but i look forward to not having the work pressures).
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Thu 17 Dec 2015, 7:33 am

Lubberly morning for a ride.

Will be a bit toasty warm this evening though
Reaching new levels of softness!

NightFallTech

Postby NightFallTech » Thu 17 Dec 2015, 11:09 am

After almost no sleep last night due to restless baby... very late, very slow ride in today, kept my heart rate roughly in Zone 2 for the whole 36km... feel like crawling under my desk and going to sleep.

cyclotaur

Postby cyclotaur » Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:50 pm

A good friend and riding buddy of mine (not a BV Forum member) had a bad prang yesterday morning on the path from Kew Boulie to Fairfield pipe bridge. He is ok but a bit banged up and won't be riding for awhile. :(

He's told me he received great help from several other fellow riders for which he is very grateful.

As it was me who got him riding regularly in recent times, I'd just like to pass on his and my thanks to any forumers who may have assisted yesterday.
Riding, not racing ... http://reddyneddy.blogspot.com.au/

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Thu 17 Dec 2015, 1:56 pm

Ritch wrote:
Danton wrote:Looking to take the longer way home from CBD to Bundoora via Capital City/Moonee Ponds/Ring Road Trails.

Any tips on getting from the Capital City to Moonee Ponds (looks busy).

Any traps on the Moonee Ponds apart from the fact that it runs out at Vanberg and starts again at Primrose?

From Docklands -> Capital City Trail. Join Moonee Ponds Creek Trail at Flemington Bridge. It is all off-road path as there is an underpass under Flemington Rd. You'll see it pretty clearly. On Moonee Ponds Creek Trail, watch for the blind corners going into and out of the tunnels under the toll road. Also, there is a short section of boardwalk, which has two tight blind corners... it is best to really slow down to walking pace through them. Otherwise, follow the path and follow the signs until you get to the Ring Road. Quite relaxing way to get out to the Ring Road from the city...

Ritch

The on-road Vanberg/Primrose section is pretty easy to navigate. From memory it has something like sharrows or signs to mark which way to go. Overall, it's a pretty straightforward journey with the paths all linking up with each other.

Danton

Postby Danton » Thu 17 Dec 2015, 3:03 pm

Daicos Mullets wrote:
Ritch wrote:
Danton wrote:Looking to take the longer way home from CBD to Bundoora via Capital City/Moonee Ponds/Ring Road Trails.

Any tips on getting from the Capital City to Moonee Ponds (looks busy).

Any traps on the Moonee Ponds apart from the fact that it runs out at Vanberg and starts again at Primrose?

From Docklands -> Capital City Trail. Join Moonee Ponds Creek Trail at Flemington Bridge. It is all off-road path as there is an underpass under Flemington Rd. You'll see it pretty clearly. On Moonee Ponds Creek Trail, watch for the blind corners going into and out of the tunnels under the toll road. Also, there is a short section of boardwalk, which has two tight blind corners... it is best to really slow down to walking pace through them. Otherwise, follow the path and follow the signs until you get to the Ring Road. Quite relaxing way to get out to the Ring Road from the city...

Ritch

The on-road Vanberg/Primrose section is pretty easy to navigate. From memory it has something like sharrows or signs to mark which way to go. Overall, it's a pretty straightforward journey with the paths all linking up with each other.

Thanks Guys! Proposed ride is delayed for a few days until it cools down.

Remote Controller

Postby Remote Controller » Thu 17 Dec 2015, 4:30 pm

^^^ Bicycles. It has Bicycles painted on the road. Follow them.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:19 am

It was hot and hard work into the headwind last night. Tonight's forecast to be even hotter and I noticed a decent tailwind on my way in this morning, so I can look forward to a parching headwind again on the way home. I'll be freezing my water bottles again in preparation for this afternoon.

wagger

Postby wagger » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 9:52 am

Daicos Mullets wrote:It was hot and hard work into the headwind last night. Tonight's forecast to be even hotter and I noticed a decent tailwind on my way in this morning, so I can look forward to a parching headwind again on the way home. I'll be freezing my water bottles again in preparation for this afternoon.

Last night I decided to take the main yarra trail around to Yarra Bend Park, before headin north from there. It was well shaded and a few degrees cooler along the banks of the yarra. For me it is 19km to YBP, longer, but a much more comfortable ride on stinking hot days with strong dry northerlies

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 11:23 am

Thanks Ritch, much appreciated. Might try it one time to see the difference. :)

The gate was closed again two nights ago - and it was quite amusing watching the motorcyclist and car behind me who also wanted to use the sneaky detour. The motorcyclist was in front of the car, saw the gate was closed, did a u-turn, and then did another u-turn thinking the car that was behind him had access, and then doing another turn when he saw that they hadn't. Of course, I was watching this the whole time doing circles to see whether either of THEM had access. Nope. It was pretty amusing.

Fortunately the gate was open on the way home last night so no stair climbing. Took it easy too, but since I had work drinks prior to leaving the Sun had set a bit and it wasn't as glaringly hot.

It was definitely hot this morning. I used my running visor as an under-helmet cap instead of the usual bandanna to stop the Sun shining into my eyes. It worked quite well, apart from the visor already being sweaty from the morning run. I've been looking for a nice (read rainbow) cycling cap. Haven't been looking that hard but will start looking further due to the glare on this route.

wagger

Postby wagger » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 11:51 am

Summernight wrote:Haven't been looking that hard but will start looking further due to the glare on this route.

http://www.prendas.co.uk/santini-mapei- ... n-cap.html

Cheaper elsewhere but this is the best I can do on phone

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 1:51 pm

Summernight wrote:It was definitely hot this morning. I used my running visor as an under-helmet cap instead of the usual bandanna to stop the Sun shining into my eyes. It worked quite well, apart from the visor already being sweaty from the morning run. I've been looking for a nice (read rainbow) cycling cap. Haven't been looking that hard but will start looking further due to the glare on this route.

Really popular in SE Asia :lol:
Reaching new levels of softness!

weg

Postby weg » Fri 18 Dec 2015, 7:43 pm

Elbow shaved by a nasty blue Polo this morning but what a lovely night for a bike ride.

Return to “Commuters discussion”