How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Snuffy » Thu 12 Nov 2015, 9:10 pm

Eddy Pla wrote:
Snuffy wrote:Based on today's forecast, I was all prepped this morning with the rain jacket and Goretex boots for this morning's ride in.... woke up to find that the radar was completely clear and the daily maximum had been revised upwards.

Ummed and ahhed for a while about what to ditch, in case it's raining this afternoon.

Hope I made the right decision.

I was also expecting rain this morning, so set off with my rain jacket on (as I rise early and want to maximise sleep time, I wake up, get dressed & go, so no radar checking for me). Needless to say I was well overdressed and quickly unzipped the jacket and removed my gloves.

The forecast afternoon rain didn't eventuate either, and it was a pretty pleasant ride home despite the cross/head wind that was more head than cross by the time I arrived home.

I would almost call this afternoon's ride home hot!

Lovely day for it!
Reaching new levels of softness!

HollyM

Postby HollyM » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 6:17 am

Claude Cat wrote:
Stephen wrote:
HollyM wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:It wasn't you I was talking to at the bottom of Anderson st today?
A fellow rider was contemplating the climb with me, and she wasn't looking forward to it!

Nope, not I, I am very happily back on my rat run through the city. I'll thuake the kamikaze pedestrians, ding happy tram drivers & ninjas any day over that god forsaken Anderson st hill!

I used to work in Sin Killer Road for 6 months and Anderson street proved to be my best option. I learned to love it. just selector your lowest gear and spin! A great heartstarter. Somedays I'd leave it in a higher gear and go for a KOM.

Yeh, learn to love it for sure.
Actually I like to get out of the saddle and smash it in a big gear, then "cool down" through Fawkner park, ready for another day at work.

Y'all are bonkers! Too much for this wuss bag! And being preggers only makes me feel more entitled to sook all way up Anderson :D

Do you work at the Alfred Claude??

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:08 am

HollyM wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:
Stephen wrote:
HollyM wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:It wasn't you I was talking to at the bottom of Anderson st today?
A fellow rider was contemplating the climb with me, and she wasn't looking forward to it!

Nope, not I, I am very happily back on my rat run through the city. I'll thuake the kamikaze pedestrians, ding happy tram drivers & ninjas any day over that god forsaken Anderson st hill!

I used to work in Sin Killer Road for 6 months and Anderson street proved to be my best option. I learned to love it. just selector your lowest gear and spin! A great heartstarter. Somedays I'd leave it in a higher gear and go for a KOM.

Yeh, learn to love it for sure.
Actually I like to get out of the saddle and smash it in a big gear, then "cool down" through Fawkner park, ready for another day at work.

Y'all are bonkers! Too much for this wuss bag! And being preggers only makes me feel more entitled to sook all way up Anderson :D

Do you work at the Alfred Claude??

No, on St Kilda rd, just around the corner from the Alfred.

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:10 am

Damp ride in today.
Might have escaped most of the light rain except I found the back tyre flat as I was about to leave (had it at the LBS to fix the rear hub and a true yesterday).
Oh well, hopefully most of the kit will dry off before I head home.

Daicos Mullets

Postby Daicos Mullets » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 10:20 am

I managed to pretty much escape the rain, it only started as I rode the last couple of blocks in the city.

Summernight

Postby Summernight » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 12:18 pm

Didn't escape the wet roads this morning, but it is Friday!

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:28 pm

Daicos Mullets wrote:I managed to pretty much escape the rain, it only started as I rode the last couple of blocks in the city.

Me too, although having left the rain jacket at home I wasn't overly surprised when I encountered some intermittent drizzle.

Nice and sunny for the ride home. The wind seemed much stronger than yesterday and despite a few hairy moments when big cross gusts hit, it did a good job of keeping things comfortable temperature-wise.

Remote Controller

Postby Remote Controller » Fri 13 Nov 2015, 8:51 pm

Smashing ride in with a stonking tailwind. Woot.
Smashing ride home with a stonking headwind. Ughh.

cold_erin

Postby cold_erin » Mon 16 Nov 2015, 8:45 am

cold_erin wrote:Got the bike today. All I need now is the job

Now have the job. Back to doing the arduous East Melbourne to CBD route next week. Geez I hope I can get my fitness levels up in time :roll: :D
Jaws was never my scene.
http://www.colderin.blogspot.com

Snuffy
Volunteer Moderator

Postby Snuffy » Mon 16 Nov 2015, 8:48 am

Change rooms were strangely quiet.... where is everyone?!

Seemed like a perfect day to ride in!

(Maybe everyone else decided to extend their commute this morning?)
Reaching new levels of softness!

Claude Cat

Postby Claude Cat » Mon 16 Nov 2015, 10:18 am

Fairly busy in our office change rooms, although I'd say the amount of cycle traffic on the MYT seemed a little thin.

wagger

Postby wagger » Mon 16 Nov 2015, 1:32 pm

work from home day in my world :)
Tell me what has become of my rights
Am I invisible because you ignore me?

biker35

Postby biker35 » Mon 16 Nov 2015, 3:21 pm

First commute in about 6 months.
First Melbourne commute in about 3 years (been in Tassie).

Rode in from Cheltenham to the CBD. Perfect morning to get back into it. I've not commuted from that suburb before, so I just went along Beach Rd as suggested by google maps. Probably try Nepean on the way home for comparative purposes. Surprisingly few people out I thought, though it might have just been that sensible people are asleep at 6:30am.

Great to be back, though I really need to give the bike a service (or maybe I just need to get my fitness levels back to non-embarrassing levels).

Eddy Pla

Postby Eddy Pla » Mon 16 Nov 2015, 8:09 pm

Lovely morning for it, although I was struggling a little to get a rhythm going.

Sunny with a fresh headwind for the ride home. Took the semi-extended route and enjoyed it thoroughly. Like a few others here have mentioned, I was also surprised by how few riders I saw today.

weg

Postby weg » Mon 16 Nov 2015, 9:28 pm

Looked like building RDO day on my route. Took a detour around a closed road section, to have a grey SUV rev behind me, overtake closer than necessary and pull in to her driveway 50m up the road at No 55. So stupid as well as rude.

Return to “Commuters discussion”