How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
Claude Cat

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 30 Jul 2021, 1:14 pm

Matt1 wrote:Anyone back to riding to work?

I rode to the shops today in the cool, dark morning air. Not much wind at that time of day, and very little traffic which made the ride more pleasant.

I was tempted to go in today, but couldn't be bothered lugging the boat anchor laptop to work for 1 day.
Perhaps next week. Did a lap of the boulies instead.
25% attendance at work - I'm trying to give priority to those that absolutely need to be in the office.

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Fri 30 Jul 2021, 1:44 pm

I’ve been back onsite working for over a week but only able to ride to work once, unfortunately. Too much stuff to move around or other obligations. Working on getting my ride commute days up!

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 09 Aug 2021, 9:32 pm

Great ride to and fro today, although it’s soooo short, only 6km one way.

Better than not ;)

Using ye olde hardtail so at least there’s something to push around.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Mon 30 Aug 2021, 11:52 am

Beautiful sunny weather for the commute to the shops today. Not much traffic on the roads and not too many shoppers about either. Long live the lockdown :)
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Mon 06 Sep 2021, 9:27 pm

After the rain I knew water would be over the path under the ring road. But I hadn’t prepared for it being unrideable. Got there, looked like it might hit nearly my saddle height... turned around and went the long way back around. Nearly doubled my commute to 10km instead if 5.5km :lol: I remember 35km commute mornings once upon a time... and more when I tacked an MRR on first.

Nice way to start and finish the day. Tomorrow I’ll just go around until I have assurance waters have subsided.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Thu 09 Sep 2021, 8:15 am

A strong northerly wind made for a effortful ride out to the shops and an easy ride back. Very quiet on the roads today, although I admit I have probably forgotten what normal peak hour looks like.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Thu 09 Sep 2021, 9:09 pm

Didn’t ride today :cry:

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sat 11 Sep 2021, 11:02 am

Similar to my last post here, I was greeted by a ferocious northerly headwind on my way to the shops. The ride back was much easier, despite being mostly uphill and carrying the extra weight of the shopping. The warmer temperatures make riding much more pleasant after the bitter coldness of the winter, even into a headwind. Plenty of roadies out getting their fitness miles in - with a wind like that a 5km radius is more than enough for most weekend hacks to find some gains.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Canuck

Postby Canuck » Sun 12 Sep 2021, 9:23 pm

Hopefully rain stops for the morning commute tomorrow. I can’t be bothered getting soaked.

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Mon 13 Sep 2021, 9:12 am

Canuck wrote:Hopefully rain stops for the morning commute tomorrow. I can’t be bothered getting soaked.

Not the best way to start the week, especially in the cold mornings.

Just a walk for me today. I left the house in fine, sunny weather and made it back home under the same blue skies. After a few minutes of unpacking my groceries, the dark clouds had closed in and it was raining away merrily. Perfect timing.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Sun 19 Sep 2021, 8:30 am

Rode through the back streets for my shopping this morning. This choice had the advantage of keeping me out of the wind, which I barely noticed whilst riding. A second positive was the general lack of traffic about. Thankfully I can barely remember the stench of exhaust pollution these days.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Matt1

Postby Matt1 » Mon 20 Sep 2021, 11:36 am

Today's commute was to the vet hospital. Once again it was very windy, but a tail wind on the way there. I took the main road to make the journey as short as possible. With the trailer in tow I tried to remember to avoid hitting the bumps in the road too hard, lest the cargo got upset. The return journey was on the bike path, which naturally was blocked off in part for maintenance works necessitating a cross-country detour. Normally not a problem but required a little more forethought when squeezing through on the trailer. Massive headwind and light rain on the way back home but did not concern me in the slightest - I was just happy to have my friend back in good health.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi

Return to “Commuters discussion”