How was your commute today

Discuss cycling as transport and the issues involved in commuting to school, work or to the shops.
victor
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Tue 25 May 2021, 10:31 am

Claude Cat wrote:Blustery ride in.
Got half way to work and realized I didn't fit the rear fender, as planned, for the expected wet ride home. Looks like I'm going to get a wet arse.

... and cyclists behind you will give plenty of clearance! :lol:

victor
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Tue 25 May 2021, 11:17 am

I'm going to be working from home from tomorrow until end of next week (at least), because as I mentioned to my manager, I have no desire to wear a mask at work all day every day. Fortunately, I work for a company that's very supportive of such arrangements. Any more commuting with the shiny new bike will just have to wait a few weeks, I guess...

victor
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Tue 25 May 2021, 5:53 pm

Hmm... never used disk brakes before, so I found out how noisy new disk brake pads can be in wet weather. Fortunately, around the latter half of my very wet ride home, the squealing diminished and then stopped :) . Now if only the motorists would drive more carefully in wet weather instead of less carefully, I'd be a bit happier.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 25 May 2021, 9:31 pm

victor wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:Blustery ride in.
Got half way to work and realized I didn't fit the rear fender, as planned, for the expected wet ride home. Looks like I'm going to get a wet arse.

... and cyclists behind you will give plenty of clearance! :lol:

Too true.
Fortunately the worst of the rain had well and truly passed so only wet roads and some light rain at home.
The Gabba and the pack protector still had a "GT-stripe" from the rain so that went wash to clean right away.

User avatar
Canuck
Posts: 9679
Joined: Sat 30 May 2009, 9:28 pm
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Canuck » Tue 25 May 2021, 10:52 pm

Did the Coastrek 60km on the weekend. Time to get back to bike commuting.

But you can still donate to the cause ;)

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 22 Jun 2021, 1:24 pm

Back to the office after the lockdown (at least a few days week).
Another cold, crisp morning, but enjoyable once warmed up. Quite a few riding, but not many peds in the city, Southbank Promenade was empty.
The usual winter ice on the MTY pontoons in Cremone.

victor
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Wed 23 Jun 2021, 8:25 am

Claude Cat wrote:Back to the office after the lockdown (at least a few days week).
Another cold, crisp morning, but enjoyable once warmed up. Quite a few riding, but not many peds in the city, Southbank Promenade was empty.
The usual winter ice on the MTY pontoons in Cremone.

What happened to the planned closure of the MYT? It was supposed to be closed between Punt Rd and the Cremorne rail bridge, from 16 June to 15 July.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 24 Jun 2021, 10:52 am

victor wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:Back to the office after the lockdown (at least a few days week).
Another cold, crisp morning, but enjoyable once warmed up. Quite a few riding, but not many peds in the city, Southbank Promenade was empty.
The usual winter ice on the MTY pontoons in Cremone.

What happened to the planned closure of the MYT? It was supposed to be closed between Punt Rd and the Cremorne rail bridge, from 16 June to 15 July.

No evidence of it happening.
Yesterday was pretty breezy; dry in the morning, slightly damp in Port Melbourne last night, but dry all the way from the city back home.
This morning was terrific. Slightly cooler than yesterday, but the winds were down and it was nice once the sun came out.
Southbank Promenade is horrible from St Kilda rd overpass to the pedestrian overpass to Flinders st station. Lots of work going on, the lower level is unavailable and the top level is 1/4 of it's normal width. Thank god there's hardly and peds out at the moment otherwise everyone would be walking.

victor
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Thu 24 Jun 2021, 7:38 pm

Claude Cat wrote:
victor wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:Back to the office after the lockdown (at least a few days week).
Another cold, crisp morning, but enjoyable once warmed up. Quite a few riding, but not many peds in the city, Southbank Promenade was empty.
The usual winter ice on the MTY pontoons in Cremone.

What happened to the planned closure of the MYT? It was supposed to be closed between Punt Rd and the Cremorne rail bridge, from 16 June to 15 July.

No evidence of it happening.
Yesterday was pretty breezy; dry in the morning, slightly damp in Port Melbourne last night, but dry all the way from the city back home.
This morning was terrific. Slightly cooler than yesterday, but the winds were down and it was nice once the sun came out.
Southbank Promenade is horrible from St Kilda rd overpass to the pedestrian overpass to Flinders st station. Lots of work going on, the lower level is unavailable and the top level is 1/4 of it's normal width. Thank god there's hardly and peds out at the moment otherwise everyone would be walking.

There was a sign mentioning the MYT closure just at the start of the 1st or 2nd pontoon section as you head east, is it still there? I've been working from home for a while, so haven't ridden to and from work.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Fri 25 Jun 2021, 8:30 am

victor wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:
victor wrote:
Claude Cat wrote:Back to the office after the lockdown (at least a few days week).
Another cold, crisp morning, but enjoyable once warmed up. Quite a few riding, but not many peds in the city, Southbank Promenade was empty.
The usual winter ice on the MTY pontoons in Cremone.

What happened to the planned closure of the MYT? It was supposed to be closed between Punt Rd and the Cremorne rail bridge, from 16 June to 15 July.

No evidence of it happening.
Yesterday was pretty breezy; dry in the morning, slightly damp in Port Melbourne last night, but dry all the way from the city back home.
This morning was terrific. Slightly cooler than yesterday, but the winds were down and it was nice once the sun came out.
Southbank Promenade is horrible from St Kilda rd overpass to the pedestrian overpass to Flinders st station. Lots of work going on, the lower level is unavailable and the top level is 1/4 of it's normal width. Thank god there's hardly and peds out at the moment otherwise everyone would be walking.

There was a sign mentioning the MYT closure just at the start of the 1st or 2nd pontoon section as you head east, is it still there? I've been working from home for a while, so haven't ridden to and from work.


Haven't noticed it. Mind you, it's pitch black for my eastward return home, so I might have missed it. There was no activity yesterday.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 29 Jun 2021, 2:22 pm

Crispy cold this morning. Ice on the pontoons in Cremone.
No sign of any works or activity.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Tue 06 Jul 2021, 10:46 am

The GCT / MYT very quiet at the moment. Almost feels like more walkers than cyclists.
High speed (40kph +) scooters are a increasing menace. Their speed, coupled with very bright lights mounted at wheel level - point upwards, makes them extremely irritating.

User avatar
Claude Cat
Posts: 2079
Joined: Mon 08 Sep 2014, 1:19 pm
Location: Canterbury
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Claude Cat » Thu 15 Jul 2021, 3:49 pm

Darn it, 4 days commuting to work this week and tomorrow would have been the first time in over 1 year and 4 months that I would have had a full week of riding to and from work, but it looks like another lockdown will beat me again tonight.

victor
Posts: 527
Joined: Tue 27 Jan 2015, 10:33 am

Re: How was your commute today

Postby victor » Thu 15 Jul 2021, 8:26 pm

Claude Cat wrote:Darn it, 4 days commuting to work this week and tomorrow would have been the first time in over 1 year and 4 months that I would have had a full week of riding to and from work, but it looks like another lockdown will beat me again tonight.

Same here :( I did 255km in 4 days, and tomorrow would have made it 305km, and it's also been a while since I did a full bicycle commuting week.

Matt1
Posts: 633
Joined: Thu 19 Jun 2008, 4:43 pm
Location: Melbourne
Contact:

Re: How was your commute today

Postby Matt1 » Fri 30 Jul 2021, 10:28 am

Anyone back to riding to work?

I rode to the shops today in the cool, dark morning air. Not much wind at that time of day, and very little traffic which made the ride more pleasant.
Poa kichizi kama ndizi


Return to “Commuters discussion”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 5 guests